4x4 craigslist find - too high miles?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like a pretty good deal to me...around here that van would sell for easily double that price. If it was diesel, triple it.

The body looks pretty straight, if it's pretty much rust free I'd jump on it.

you do realize that it has many parts that are not available anywhere. since a 4x4 van was never offered from the factory it has many custom parts that you can't buy at any parts store. can you live with this. what if you are far off road and break one of these parts. what then? I advise against any 4x4 conversion. after all why would you want a 4x4? to get out in the sticks, right. break one of those special parts out there and you are up the creek without a paddle, and a paddle is not available anywhere. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
you do realize that it has many parts that are not available anywhere.  since a 4x4 van was never offered from the factory it has many custom parts that you can't buy at any parts store.  can you live with this. what if you are far off road and break one of these parts.  what then?  I advise against any 4x4 conversion.  after all why would you want a 4x4?  to get out in the sticks,  right.  break one of those special parts out there and you are up the creek without a paddle,  and a paddle is not available anywhere.  highdesertranger

I hear "quiggly" often referenced to re: van 4x4 conversions,,,,,,, is this a real thing or like "fubar"?  I am not trying to be funny & as Uncle SY sez "that's a fact jack".....I gotta lot of luv for a man that takes his Tupperware to 'Nam and brings it back too!   :heart:   TJB

highdesertranger said:
break one of those special parts out there and you are up the creek without a paddle, and a paddle is not available anywhere. highdesertranger

My buddy has an absurdly modified '91 Ranger...10" lift, Super Swampers, rattle-can paint job, thing barely stays in a lane at highway speeds. This reminded me of a running joke in our fishing group that gathers for trout in PA mtns every year. The Ranger is used to haul gear and firewood from the road to stream, about 3/4 mile of rock-crawling and fjording some really hairy stuff.
If that thing ever breaks something back there, it's never coming out. We've joked and even drawn up fake ads, "Parting out '91 Ranger, GPS coordinates xxxx.xx, canoe or helicopter pickup required..." Anyway, its provided entertainment for years now...but my buddy makes lots of money and turning his Swampers into streamside flower planters would probably be viewed as a worthy investment in laughs (within a year anyway) and pics. But having that happen to your mobile house out in middle of nowhere would be very unfunny.

Bluegrass Voyager said:
see this link.....

https://chillicothe.craigslist.org/cto/5476563908.html

this is a 4x4 Quigley conversion, can't tell if its a e150 or e250, but the high miles concern me,
even at the price.  I'm looking for my first van and it would be awesome to have a 4x4.

Any advice on checking this one out?

Hi, Just wanted to say hi to a fellow kentuckian. Welcome to the tribe.  Hobojoe

Quigley conversions have a couple odd traits, but are generally pretty reliable. I've traveled through Baja with a couple of them and they kept up with my old F350 pickup with a popup camper. The good thing about Quigley conversion is they used mostly Ford stock parts to do the conversion, so unlike most others, you can source the parts. That's why you could order one from a Ford dealer and have a warranty. One of the custom parts is the shift linkage, which leads to one of the odd traits. It has a straight through shift pattern on the transfer case, but to get from 4 high to 4 low on both of the ones on our trip, you had to put it back into 2 wheel drive and then pull the shifter all the way through to 4 low without stopping. We never did figure out why and both vans had less than 40000 miles on them.

As for this one, it seems reasonable if it doesn't have any rust, but you'll be replacing the engine and trans soon if they haven't been done already. They are about at the end of their normal life expectancy.

highdesertranger said:
you do realize that it has many parts that are not available anywhere.  since a 4x4 van was never offered from the factory it has many custom parts that you can't buy at any parts store.  can you live with this. what if you are far off road and break one of these parts.  what then?  I advise against any 4x4 conversion.  after all why would you want a 4x4?  to get out in the sticks,  right.  break one of those special parts out there and you are up the creek without a paddle,  and a paddle is not available anywhere.  highdesertranger

Quigley actually uses mostly Ford OEM parts from an F250 I believe.  They are fully certified by Ford, GM and Nissan to do the work.  I think they use 97% original parts from the factory if I remember correctly so even if you need repairs, dealerships can perform them and get the parts.  For the few parts not OEM, they will overnight them anywhere in the country.

I've been contemplating getting a new Chevy and having Quigley add the 4x4. It's not cheap, but if you put 200k on it, the cost starts to not look so bad per mile. That's about the only way i've been able to justify it in my head. But actually, it's not too much more than buying a new Silverado. Local dealer is taking $7500 off list price on the Chevy 2500 Express vans. I've also been looking at used AWD Chevy's they had out for awhile. Only thing I don't like about them, is look like they were only offered in 1500's so can't load them up too heavy.

I think that's a real solid price for the Ford. I think you could turn around and sell it for a few k more with out too much difficulty, assuming it runs decent and isn't rusted out. Let us know if you end up purchasing it.

A while back I seriously considered going with a Quigly conversion of a Gmc Savana.  Talked to the sales guy and was told I could NOT get a build sheet of the parts used in the conversion that included all of the GM parts numbers that were not standard to the original van.   I would have to rely on Quigly to supply the parts in question.  I instantly lost all interest...

What does "factory conversion" mean? dunno, that is a lot of miles on a gas motor but if it was super well maintained perhaps another 50-75k left it really becomes a crapshoot.

Every Road Leads Home said:
I've been contemplating getting a new Chevy and having Quigley add the 4x4.  It's not cheap, but if you put 200k on it, the cost starts to not look so bad per mile.  That's about the only way i've been able to justify it in my head.  But actually, it's not too much more than buying a new Silverado.  Local dealer is taking $7500 off list price on the Chevy 2500 Express vans.  I've also been looking at used AWD Chevy's they had out for awhile.  Only thing I don't like about them, is look like they were only offered in 1500's so can't load them up too heavy.    

I think that's a real solid price for the Ford.  I think you could turn around and sell it for a few k more with out too much difficulty, assuming it runs decent and isn't rusted out.  Let us know if you end up purchasing it.

for a few extra bucks get the dura-diesel and yah that would last a good long time and still have value at 200.000k

Not a Ford fan but Quigley is good and the E series vans is the highest selling van ever, I would do a
do diligence and buy it if you feel comfortable. My Jimmy has 315k and Astro 180k and run great. Its
all how its maintained.