46 Disabled Male living the life

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Irelan

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Joshua Irelan. I have been vanlifing in my 2004 Ford E150 a year this coming august 31st. I been dreaming my whole life about living this way but had responsibilities (children to raise). Last one turn 18 and moved out and i began my life. I have made a trip to Colorado last summer but health keeps me close to old home of Indiana. As well as a budget. Figures fuel prices great all my life then i go vanlifing and its expensive lol. I am disabled so limited on walking so the long hikes i dreamed of are out of the question. But i still enjoy what i can, I suffer from an autoimmune disease called Psoriatic Arthritis as well as congestive heart failure. but it doesnt stop me from living in my van yet. i want to spend the winter in Quartzite Arizona but i have to find a way to get meds and budget to get there and back. I live on 1200 a month. so its tight. I look forward to learning alot from this forum.

Have your prescriptions sent to Walmart or CVS pharmacy chain.
There is a Walmart store in Parker AZ Many people who winter in Quartzsite drive to Parker to do their grocery shopping. There is also a CVS pharmacy in Parker. Another place in Parker with a pharmacy is the Safeway Grocery store and they too are basically a pharmacy chain. So pretty much you can arrange for your doctor to send the prescription to a chain and it gets into their computer system. But about 10 days before you need the refill you should contact the pharmacy in the chain where you want to pick it up to place an order for the upcoming refill. The advance notice is to make sure they have that particular medication in stock and if not that advance request gives them time to order it in. If possible get your refills setup with your doctor for a 90 day supply.

Do let the doctor know you are traveling for a while so they can add that note into your file so they will not be alarmed if they see an out of area pharmacy requesting permission to fill your prescription.

Welcome to the forum Josh :) I think it's great that you're getting some "me time" you've no doubt earned. There are loads of good advice here and if you meet another beginning nomad, please tell her/him about this forum.

I'd invite you to visit the two websites of mine below. One is about "rig's" and the other is a portal of helpful information to make your travels more safe, comfortable, and convenient.

Banking could be another issue and it would be nice to have a Bank where your Social Security check could be deposited and you could access your money almost anywhere.

Banks with locations in almost 50 states

All the best in your travels (y)

Have your prescriptions sent to Walmart or CVS pharmacy chain.
There is a Walmart store in Parker AZ Many people who winter in Quartzsite drive to Parker to do their grocery shopping. There is also a CVS pharmacy in Parker. Another place in Parker with a pharmacy is the Safeway Grocery store and they too are basically a pharmacy chain. So pretty much you can arrange for your doctor to send the prescription to a chain and it gets into their computer system. But about 10 days before you need the refill you should contact the pharmacy in the chain where you want to pick it up to place an order for the upcoming refill. The advance notice is to make sure they have that particular medication in stock and if not that advance request gives them time to order it in. If possible get your refills setup with your doctor for a 90 day supply.

Do let the doctor know you are traveling for a while so they can add that note into your file so they will not be alarmed if they see an out of area pharmacy requesting permission to fill your prescription.