40' long 10' high horse trailer on hitch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breeze

Reaction score
About 6am this morning on a Sunday, I was getting gas at a BP. This LONG late model v8 pickup pulling about a 40' horse trailer with a 10' rear door/ramp pulled in. I was watching and wondering how he could get in - ?? He had to make ALL turns at SLOW walking speed: he's only got one shot to hit the outside gas pump lane.

Of course the first thing that came to mind, lol. A tall skinny guy put gas in the truck, and went around to the rear 10' door/ramp and lowered it on it's hinge. A teenager with down syndrome got out of the trailer and leisurely strolled up to the truck cab. I was kind of obvious I guess, and indicated I was hurrying up to take a look inside their trailer, while I was driving away from the station. They had that door up in 5 seconds flat, when it took the man much longer when he lowered it the first time (but he had help this time.) 

I don't know how he does it logistically in a small tractor trailer size vehicle, or how many he is hauling, but good for him in making it work! Sorry I did not get any pics, but I'm not as quick as most of you. I was scrambling to just 'see' in the back door, and then I cannot get my camera while driving: Safety First! I just thought it was a Cheaprvliving moment worth mentioning.

With a rig that big I'd want to gas up only at truck stops.

Some of the trailers pulled by horse people are like palaces on wheels for the people and the horses,too I guess.

The biggest rig I've seen was about a 33' foot motorhome pulling a giant cargo trailer of at least 24'. The guy had it parked at a Walmart across about 6 or 7 parking spaces and they weren't parked out in left field either. He had it parked right near the entrance for several hours. Guess he felt entitled for some reason.