33-year-old woman who tried the nomadic lifestyle and ended up broke

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve dispersed camped since the late sixties. It has been a joy.

The situation at dispersed campsites for me has changed dramatically over the last ten years or so, from happy weekenders/vacationers out for a short escape, like me, to full-time living on supposedly shared free resources.

Some of those users of free dispersed campsites are in dire financial straits due to poor life choices, and others just caught up in these troubled times. Many others just want a free place to camp. The economic gap continues to widen.

Some of those dispersed campers have sold homes, have solid retirement income and would trade some of their financial success for a few more years of guaranteed life. Some now realize if they had waited a very few more years to sell out that their money pile would be much larger. Often the money pile they now have cannot buy what they had before, if they wanted to go back. Some places I camp show this wide economic gap, with a few expensive rigs looking very out of place. Deep pockets looking for free, full-time camping/living.

How long before mandates begin? All it takes is a decision to severely limit, close, or charge for dispersed campsites, and the FreeLiving/camping dream ends. More budget expenses.

Dispersed where there is no cell coverage has not been a problem for me. Starlink may possibly affect that.

Handy, popular dispersed? I try to show up on Tuesday or Wednesday. Beginning Thursday the save-a-spot campers show up to claim their spot, then sit unoccupied until the owners return. Some seem to think their throw away chair or crime tape at the entrance serves as a reservation, while ignoring that rule on the signs.

YouTube, etc. influencers? It’s always about the money. Take away any financial reward and most would disappear. Click my Amazon link, subscribe, become a Patron, I have an issue, then later thank the ones who donated. Tug at heartstrings. Rinse, repeat.

I live in a rural area, surrounded by many small churches, some relatively new with very few members. It was finally revealed to me the financial benefits to becoming a non-profit. In the last few years, other non-religious, non-profit entities have been started for various seemingly good causes. It’s almost always about someone else’s money and control. Choose carefully. Beware of false prophets. I would not allow someone to video my rig if that person would not reciprocate. Helping others without expecting anything in return is truly helping.

Anyone remember the motorcycle gang movies in the sixties and seventies, where they rode in and took over the small towns, usually in the dusty Southwest? I do get a chuckle thinking about a roving caravan of campers swooping in and taking over a campground. Swapping recipes and sharing stories is not very terrifying. Well, as long as a part-timer can find a spot on supposedly shared resources for enjoying the outdoors. How can someone decry stealing the American Indian’s land and then do the same for public, supposedly shared land never established for full-time living?

My rural home county is agricultural, has no big box stores and almost no industry. Millions of chickens, and more cattle than people. County leaders have adopted an ordinance to not allow permanent living in tents or RV's and have banned trailer parks. The writing is on the wall.

Greed is greed, and I see it in the mirror, a reality I cannot escape and try to keep under control. My past wage earning and what I’ve assisted through collective efforts pales in comparison to my lifetime of consumption. My life seems a matter of fortunate time and place. It has been a good ride.

It is challenging to not become jaded.
not TO BECOME? too late, so there yrs ago :) :)
all humans 'jade' from birth, doesn't take much time to do just that and once adults, omgosh with the 'systems on us today' all are jaded to some point and many to the max now! Hey, life right? One we all live in!

What is wrong with the article when it says "Scott suggests that people do their research to prepare for van life instead of learning on their feet, and to trial it for three weeks because the “honeymoon stage” might be over by then."

I have learned more about people here through their comments than from the article.
"So it's better to encourage everyone who wants to hit the road, no matter what?" It was this comment and other judgemental comments here that prompted me to reply. Why so judgemental??
"I already knew this was coming. People like Bob W showing this unbelievable lifestyle you're missing out on in your Bricks N Stix pitiful lifestyle." Bob is such a con man!! :rolleyes:
"Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance" Bob Wells should have prepared better for his divorce; what was he thinking? Sometimes life doesn't give a person time to prepare.
"IMO, the person referred to in the article made the mistake of not figuring out that many van lifers are in it for the money. There is a ton of money being made by van lifers who market themselves and the "life" well. She was influenced by that marketing." I guess all nomads are getting rich from YouTube!!
"The part about having to eat 'gas station food' cracked me up." I agree. But when I drive 2000 miles in 30 hours, what do I eat? :LOL:
"Even older people with the average early Social Security have difficulty if unable to market their skills or get a physically easy seasonal job." Taking SS at 62 might not be the best choice for some people.
"Society puts way too many labels on the way people live." Absolutely correct but we put labels on ourselves as well.
"Only depend on yourself." But one often finds other people who are supportive. A friend of mine that I see every day gives away around $20,000 per year to nonprofits. I give money to people I know in genuine need.
"At least she was trying to solve her problems." I agree.
"If one wants to be a nomad, and travel the country in their vehicle, one needs a source of income, a savings account for emergencies, and the means somehow to replenish it, and lots of help can also be found here on how to thrive in that lifestyle." This is a great comment!!!
"Could I have made it work? Absolutely. Was it my best option? Absolutely not." Is there really a "best option"? Life takes you in different directions and you adjust.

In every endeavor, some are successful and some are not. My aunt & uncle quit their jobs at 50 about 1990 and were RV nomads in Utah, Nevada, Arizona, California, etc. for 20+ years, working odd jobs (camp hosting, etc) and only quit when he had heart problems. (They might have quit at 55; I don't recall exactly and I'm not going to call them to clarify.) I grew up camping, biking, hiking and I love to travel. If I left today (and all of my "stuff" (houses, accounts, etc) disappeared), I would cook some banana slugs and have a great time as a nomad. If I had questions, I would call my aunt. (But I would keep my SS.)

"Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance" Bob Wells should have prepared better for his divorce; what was he thinking? Sometimes life doesn't give a person time to prepare.

???
I am not sure how you take my 7Ps thing and turn it into "Bob should have prepared better" .. i made no mention of Bob in that regard...
Frankly I am not sure what you were trying to say with the entire post. You quoted a ton of text from others, but never really clarified your point... help me understand what you are saying.

Vanlifers who are making it work have a rig with rumpled beds, everyday stuff by the sink, stuff hanging from shelves and hooks, stuff in magnetic jars stuck to the side of a cupboard, and all kinds of stuff partly tucked away, but often still visable.
Oh, I bet there are some who are more organized than that. I always am, both in my home and in my vehicle when I am travelling. Made bed every morning, stuff put away, and so on. I cannot abide a mess, and what you describe above sounds like a mess to me. NOT that I am judging any way people live in their homes or vehicles...it's your space, you get to do as you want. Just saying that your statement above is a generalization that, like most generalizations, is not accurate.

???
I am not sure how you take my 7Ps thing and turn it into "Bob should have prepared better" .. i made no mention of Bob in that regard...
Frankly I am not sure what you were trying to say with the entire post. You quoted a ton of text from others, but never really clarified your point... help me understand what you are saying.
It seemed to me that some posters were rather critical. I was reading Nomadland last night and Bob's advice is credited with being beneficial. Bob contributed to a movement that has helped some people; vandwelling cannot be held responsible for the people who were unsuccessful. The article includes the advice I quoted at the beginning of my post and several posters emphasized similar points. The "all nomads are getting rich on YouTube" point was too funny to ignore.

As for the 7Ps, my point was that some people are thrown into situations without time to prepare; people lose their homes, their jobs, etc. What was a good example of an unprepared person forced into a situation that people here would understand, a "universal example" for the vanlivingforum example?

^Yeah, it was just a rehash of the thread with many posts taken out of context.
I guess I should have responded to each post individually, taking up lots of space for no good reason. There was a bit of "tongue in cheek" flavor to my post that you missed. Nuance is sometimes lost on social media; I was not serious when I wrote "I guess all nomads are getting rich from YouTube!!" :LOL:

I agree that some in the RV/Van Youtube sphere make it look easy and fun.... part of my lack of vids has been my internal discussion of the path my vids will take in the future....

Whenever anyone has asked me about "van life," I ask them a simple question. Are you one of those people (like me) who can't wait to go camping? If you answer yes, then this lifestyle will probably work for you. If you answer no, then go on a 2-4 week camping trip and try it out. At the end of that trip you will at least have an idea if sleeping on foam, washing out of a bucket, hearing animals in the middle of the night, and spending long stretches alone will work for you.

I also tell them that if they get their reality from social media, then forget about it.

In the end, this person had multiple issues that were not completely related to van life anyway. An unstable income makes living in a house a lot harder too. Groceries became more expensive no matter where you live, and a $5k van will break down in a city too. The real lesson in this is that there are a lot of people out there who believe what they see on social media. Social media bares little resemblance to reality. Influencers pay to take photos in staged scenes. The glamorous $100k vans look so good, cause someone had $100k to make them look good. You can't expect the same experience in a $5k van.

And which is why I believe our responsibility to the people who find their way here is to be supportive and encouraging of pursuing dreams, but also honest based on our collective experiences about what lies ahead.

And to help those in crisis mode problem solve and find the resources they need.

IMHO

Here's a tip: the people selling their videos (but don't live in their rigs) have rigs that are perfect, clean, and devoid of "stuff". Like a hotel room.

Vanlifers who are making it work have a rig with rumpled beds, everyday stuff by the sink, stuff hanging from shelves and hooks, stuff in magnetic jars stuck to the side of a cupboard, and all kinds of stuff partly tucked away, but often still visable.

Yep. Four more P's. Plants, pillows and platitude plaques. Trust, in 400 cubic feet of space, if that's all you see, van life is not what you're looking at.

Honestly, it is my opinion that she didn't have a good experience because she expected to immediately have the lifestyle she saw in the videos. I believe that is the mistake many who quit the lifestyle after a short time make.

Critical thinking is key here. You have to realize that most of the folks making these videos she was referring to have been doing this for a long time (for example Bob has been at it for over 20 years) and very few started out where they are in the videos (including Bob).

You can get there, but it isn't going to be in your first few miles, or even your first few hundred miles. It be takes time, planning, making mistakes and learning from them, tenacity and a whole lot of "well crap, what do I do now to fix this".

Another thing it takes is questions...lots of questions...to people that have been where you are.

In the end, I believe it was her lack of critical thinking and not applying common sense to the videos she was seeing that was at the root of her troubles.

Hi again all - LTNC

It kinds of grind my gears that YouTube & Hiking/Camping are used as the North Star on this topic of Vehicle Dwelling

The capacity to live practically is my gauge for any form of "nontraditional" living situation...

I can't stand camping and only use YouTube entertainment or research. I grew up dirt poor yet copped a highly specialized tech career field that landed me in over 20 countries, from tents in the Mojave to palaces in Arabia...

All this to say,  RvNAUT's 7P's along with basic adaptable practicality and a few things (below) are all that's needed to gain access to exactly what YOU DECIDE FOR YOUR POSITIVE LIFE PATH!!!

Since my younger days toting water & no electricity between homes to now an adult cashing 6figures doing the same in foreign countries under hostile "fireworks" - I realized a weeks worth of clothes, at least 3 pairs of shoes (rugged, athletic & crossovers), indirect access to water source with a storage element (1 week for drinking and bathing), access to vegetation & protein of some kind to eat, with or w/o money, an old school bar of soap, couple of tough hand towels & any kind of all season shelter is enough to live well & enjoyably

With the above, a self sufficient mindset with communal application & a decent personality, any1 can move about the planet with ease - ground, tent, vehicle, urban or rural... Oh yes, a big passport (54pages)

The article is age indicative - 85% of people born after 1994 are sacks of pointer clickers only geared for instant gratification, asking for much more is likely out of reach - So goes their idea of HOW vanlife or life Actually WORKS

Last edited:
The article is age indicative - 85% of people born after 1994 are sacks of pointer clickers only geared for instant gratification, asking for much more is likely out of reach - So goes their idea of HOW vanlife or life Actually WORKS
Says she is 33, btw. Why make such a broad generalization about millions of people... based merely on when they were born? Yikes.

^^^^^^^^**

My daughters (all early 30s) could pull it off. But that is not what they are interested in.

Many people try jumping in to this lifestyle without learning the basics such as how to line a poop bucket and to pee in a container you can dump.

In other words ~~

Don’t try to do anything before you learn how to deal with the DETAILS

I always enjoyed doing and learning new things but growing up in Eastern Kentucky living in what was the poverty center of the country at that time. I was exposed to a lot of doing the best you could with what you had or doing without. Skills were important for survival, not just something you could do without by buying another one when something quit working. Today and for some time corporations have little or no competition to encourage them to build items that can cheaply be repaired. Corporations bought out established manufacturers and forced them in the interest of stock holders profits to make items that were cheaper because they were less durable and used advertising to sway the market which forced their smaller competitors out of business or to sell to them. Basically forming monopolies and gaining enough wealth and political power to control the education of the population. If the corporations would have been stopped from doing that our lives would be much different now in my opinion. An uneducated population is easier to influence and control. It is no wonder systems like YouTube are used to market virtual lifestyles and goods by people mirroring what they have seen in our society corporations doing that made them wealthy. Until the majority of people become enlightened and educated greed and corruption will allow the big corporations to continue to lead more and more of the population into poverty just like the woman in this article. In one of my former lives I was an Industrial Arts (shop) teacher in one of the few public schools that still taught basic life skills.

Last edited:
It seemed to me that some posters were rather critical.
Part of the purpose of this forum is to air out our experiences, and to share the good and bad , in an attempt to impart some of what the community knows and perhaps more important, the mistakes that have been made...

If some are critical, it is .. perhaps more about being frustrated that there is a vast quantity of information here and in other resources that can make a massive difference, but only if people avail themselves of it... I know I poured over thousands of posts and videos....
but... sometimes there is no time, and being a nomad comes on before the time to research has been made....

People, including myself, can be pipe-dreamers... we have all set out to "do a thing", and find ourselves totally unprepared or shortsighted ... "that was way more complicated than I thought" and so it is with the subject of the OP... they took off without doing the proper amount of research and made many of the mis-steps that are discussed (ad nausium) on this site and others.

So yeah... critical... coming out here unprepared .. such a massive risk.... hell even when some of us think we are prepared, I am guessing it still goes tits up .. it could happen to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.