30-Amp Circuit Analyzer melted

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess ? Whatever was plugged into it was over or pushing the limits of what this device was rated for. That could have been from a multiple of unknowns. (even a long extension cord to a heavy draw appliance like an electric grill used outside on a picnic table)

Best practice would be to replace it and have a qualified electrician/electronics tech inspect it and determine if it's safe to continue using. But replacing it would
give you legal protection from warranty should an issue arise.

You have yourself a nice rig now Carla and you wouldn't want to lose it because of an electrical fire. And with that device being second hand you would have no recourse.

A lot of people travel with those to make sure the wiring in RV parks was done correctly before plugging their RV into those power outlets. If you are going to stay in RV parks get a new one. That one is obviosly damaged.

Last edited:
My guess ? Whatever was plugged into it was over or pushing the limits of what this device was rated for. That could have been from a multiple of unknowns. (even a long extension cord to a heavy draw appliance like an electric grill used outside on a picnic table)

Best practice would be to replace it and have a qualified electrician/electronics tech inspect it and determine if it's safe to continue using. But replacing it would
give you legal protection from warranty should an issue arise.

You have yourself a nice rig now Carla and you wouldn't want to lose it because of an electrical fire. And with that device being second hand you would have no recourse.
I don't plan on using it. I just want to know what could cause it, so I don't make the same mistake. Like Maki said, these are used for testing. I assume to test the power at the pole or whatever RVers call it. See the chart printed on it?

So some campground had a power surge at the pole? Or someone used it as a surge protector? And, like you said, ran something not rated for 30 amp?

I have no idea what I am talking about, LOL. I just want to avoid a melted electric plug.

A lot of people travel with those to make sure the wiring in RV parks was done correctly before plugging their RV into those power outlets. If you are going to stay in RV parks get a new one. That one is obviosly damaged.
So they can be pretty handy? Kinda like how they use something to reduce the water pressure? I bought a surge protector for the pole, but it is long. I don't even know where it is.

I don't plan on using it. I just want to know what could cause it, so I don't make the same mistake. Like Maki said, these are used for testing. I assume to test the power at the pole or whatever RVers call it. See the chart printed on it?

So some campground had a power surge at the pole? Or someone used it as a surge protector? And, like you said, ran something not rated for 30 amp?

I have no idea what I am talking about, LOL. I just want to avoid a melted electric plug.
Hi Carla618,
Just two quick thoughts FWIW (quick because If I don't write them down, I'll forget them....)
1. The ampere rating is what the device is capable of supporting. Here's what I mean. Some folks think that if you plug a device into a 30amp circuit, that could blow it up, because it's forcing 30 amps into the device. That's not what it means. Instead, it means that the circuit can power any device that requires UP TO 30 amps. The example I usually give is the tail lights in your vehicle. They are rated for a very small amperage, but they are connected to a battery which is capable of supplying over a hundred amps. The bulb only takes what it needs.

2. As to what caused the damage to the receptacle, my guess it was a poor connection between the blade of the plug, and the receptacle. This causes arcing, which creates lots of heat.

Not a clue why someone would use a test plug as a constant link in an electrical setup. They are just meant for a brief test to see if the electrical outlet you are plugging into is properly wired.

The meltdown is due to localized resistance heating. The appliance isn't pulling too much current, rather its pulling current thought a poor connection. The poor connection is heating up like a burner on an electric stove. Picture it glowing red not in your minds eye.

Replace both the plug and receptacle and you'll be good to go.

One reason might be that many of the circuit analyzers also include surge protection. So once the testing is complete, the device can be left connected to protect against surges. They may not be the best form of search protection, because their Joule rating is low, But it’s better than no protection at all.

... what ya'll think caused the melt...
a -- a loose connection.
Weak internal connectors allowed a small area to carry the entire load?
If I was me, I would disassemble the female plug so I could fiddle with its innerds.
That would accomplish diddly-squat, but it gives me the delusion of a sense of purpose in our vast mysterious universe.
b)
After investing hours tweaking the prongs and tugging the cables, hopelessly helping/helplessly hoping, I would probably chuck it in the 'too stupit today, but tomorrow I could gain the knowledge to fix it' bucket.
Another popular delusion.

I looked up the specs on that circuit analyzer and it does include surge protection. But surging was not the cause. Here is the answer why that melting happened as shown in a photo. Heavy duty electrical cords are heavy and that unsupported weigh over time is what causes wear as well as many multiple times of plugging and unplugging. It really does not look like a sustainable setup to keep using that small circuit tester device as a long term interface between the power cord and the electrical supply box at RV parks. It is just not robust enough for that.
IMG_1459.jpeg

Last edited:
I looked up the specs on that circuit analyzer and it does include surge protection. But surging was not the cause. Here is the answer why that melting happened as shown in a photo. Heavy duty electrical cords are heavy and that unsupported weigh over time is what causes wear as well as many multiple times of plugging and unplugging. It really does not look like a sustainable setup to keep using that small circuit tester device as a long term interface between the power cord and the electrical supply box at RV parks. It is just not robust enough for that.
That makes sense. My heavy RV extension cord is getting messed up (bent) at the prongs from trying to keep it plugged in high off the ground. It kept falling away from the outlet and getting unplugged. I moved it to a low outlet on the porch now. It should have been there all along, but didn't want a delivery person tripping on it.

Yeah, that’s a pretty light or cheap form of protection. Those are normally a one time incident device. No reset… there are much better ones but they are also a substantial amount higher in price… that plug looks to me like a big draw with a possibly inferior connection. When plugging in my block heater there is a lot of draw as your plugging in. If the plug is a hard push to get on it arch’s a bit each time and makes it worse each time. I learned to just cut power til everything is connected well. But like someone mentioned, that one is likely more of a cheaper model prone to this damage…
It is possible there was a big draw as it was being hooked up, like an air conditioner ready to run… usually on an RV pedestal you can flip a breaker off while hooking up.

if it was at your house you could put a bracket on the wall above the receptical box and suspend the cable from that as a strain relief. But for an RV park you would need some type of adjustable tripod stand with a clamp to act as a lift to take the weight of the cable off the plug end or even a rope tied off higher around a post and then on the cord near the plug if it was a tall post.

These situations just require a bit of visualization of how can you suspend the end of the cable so there is no or reduced force from gravity that is working to unplug the heavy cord. Just try mental visualization for this type of problem solving, in this case you visualize “how could I support that end of the cord to take strain off the plug?”. It is a bit of a fun game you can play and the more you play it the better you get at quick visual problem solving. It really is a you keep getting better and better at it with practice technique. But you have to think it though by adding it why it might go wrong before you try a fix.

Right this minute I have a different type of electrical issue distracting me, a thunder and lighting storm ⛈️

Last edited:
if it was at your house you could put a bracket on the wall above the receptical box and suspend the cable from that as a strain relief. But for an RV park you would need some type of adjustable tripod stand with a clamp to act as a lift to take the weight of the cable off the plug end or even a rope tied off higher around a post and then on the cord near the plug if it was a tall post.

These situations just require a bit of visualization of how can you suspend the end of the cable so there is no or reduced force from gravity that is working to unplug the heavy cord. Just try mental visualization for this type of problem solving, in this case you visualize “how could I support that end of the cord to take strain off the plug?”. It is a bit of a fun game you can play and the more you play it the better you get at quick visual problem solving. It really is a you keep getting better and better at it with practice technique. But you have to think it though by adding it why it might go wrong before you try a fix.

Right this minute I have a different type of electrical issue distracting me, a thunder and lighting storm ⛈️
I did take the weight off by running the cord over the top of the door (next to that hallway outlet) and closing the door (on the cord) to keep the cord in place. Grandchildren didn't like having to keep the door more than halfway closed, so it ended up on the floor most of the time. Worked great for a couple weeks:)

It's on the exterior plug now. Where it belongs.

Stay safe in the storm!

If I had to guess, I'd say the male RV plug pins (the ones that insert into the camco unit) are very dull colored, and oxidized, which in turn causes them to heat up (because of resistance) when under a heavy load such as an A/C unit and microwave operating at the same time.

I'd replace that unit, but I would also carefully look over the male RV plug, making sure its not showing signs of melted plastic, and maybe take a small wire brush or steel wool and try to get the pins shiny again.