2stroke engine bike tandem set pulling lightweight 10 x 6 gypsie wagon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinalaro

Reaction score
hello nomads its time for me to get my rear out on the roads and i have been really thinking about how to do this and came up with the idea of a tandem set of 2 stroke engine bikes pulling a lightweight camper 10' x 6' and would like some thoughts on what matierials for the lightest possible wagon.

a foamie build would be the lightest. my question would be is this going to be street legal? also go over to the "Newcomers corner" and give us an intro and we will give you an official welcome. highdesertranger

100% Foamie construction...

Cloth/Foam/Laminate, with a tite-bond 2 outer coating and "Glidden Gripper Primer" as your interior adhesive/bonding agent, for the foam/foam and foam/wood joints.

I would also push for a typical "teardrop" design, for reduced resistance when pulling.

All you need is a good trailer-foundation, which could be a simple 2x3 and 3/4" plywood base, with bed-rail supports, on a wagon-wheel axle.

Just realize that any "motorized vehicle", in most states, has to be "street legal" and "registered". (Street-legal = DOT approved tires, for the max speed you can travel. Minimum "stopping power for your breaks", at your max-speed, which rules-out typical bike rim-breaks {bike disk-breaks are the usual requirement at 25+ mph with a "trailer".}. DOT Signal lights. DOT Head-lights. Drivers license or motorcycle-license. License-plate and registration. Insurance {not a requirement until you get in an accident in some states. Not having it is illegal if you get into an accident.} Rear view mirrors, and now by new national DOT laws, a back-up camera.)

Some places allow "power-assisted bikes" to get away without those requirements, but anything that looks modified to handle a questionable speed or carry a passenger, or simulate an "automobile/car", will be held to those laws. (It would have to be registered in at-least one state, if you passed through any state with that law, even if your state does not have that law.)

Motorized vehicles are not allowed on pedestrian walkways or in "bike lanes"... That is a DOT law. (Again, some places ignore it, if you are driving safe and are inconspicuous. You will not be inconspicuous, you will need to drive on the road, with cars, RVs, trucks, motorcycles, scooters and race-bicycles. You will just not be allowed on any highways.)

If you excluded the motor, using only man-power... You could share the road with cars, with minimal "streetworthy limits". (Normally just mirrors and signal lights, and adequate breaks.) Possibly needing a special "towing/trailer" license-plate for your trailer/camper. That is more for others who may hit you, or when/if you lose it in tow, and it rolls into traffic, or if it is stolen.