$250 awning instead of $1k awning?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like there is no front window but it sure looks like they didn’t do a very good job of fixing it correctly. I would keep looking but that is just me.

there is nowhere to mount an awning on that RV. if the RV didn't come with an awning more than likely it is not reinforced to mount an awning and you would have no way of knowing where the reinforcing was anyway. again if the RV does not have an awning you CANNOT just mount one to it.

magnets will not work either because that RV is fiberglass. RV's are skinned in fiberglass or aluminum and a magnet will not stick to either one.

also like bullfrog said there appears to be water damage in the overhead. i would be real cautious with that one.

highdesertranger

I'm still looking. It's just very hard the find the layout I want (rear louge with three panoramic windows), that is not from the 70s (although they sure looked better back then) and isn't over 24'.

highdesertranger, is there such a thing as a cheap used rv without leak issues? At least this was ostensibly taken care of so I wouldn't inevitably have to strip whatever I decide to buy. Maybe it's time to hit the dealers, I wonder if they're buying them all up because the pickings are slim.

Thanks for info about awnings, it is very helpful. I'm glad I asked so I didn't do something stupid. And a big "d'oh" to myself about the magnets, forgot it wasn't a van, lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

" is there such a thing as a cheap used rv without leak issues?"

very rare

just keep looking you will find one. at the moment it is definitely a sellers market.

highdesertranger

After reading how much awnings are, I'll probably just carry around may 2 patio umbrellas with umbrella stands, and put those up when I camp. Thanks for all the good info....

The awning on mine is hard to see around, the supports don't stick out far enough to see I had to add a second mirror to clear.

I just about got hit coming through Wichita last summer, I can see in the spot mirror, but the regular mirror all I see is the awning support.

Attachments

• IMG_1108.jpeg
    IMG_1108.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1109.jpeg
    IMG_1109.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1111.jpeg
    IMG_1111.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1113.jpeg
    IMG_1113.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 2
As far as leaks with a Class C, the area between the overhead bunk and the cutout in the cab, its going to leak. I drove shuttle busses for a few years, and every one of them leaked around the seal. But at least my RV with the overhang only leaks when it sits with the cab pointed up a little, otherwise the water doesn't get in.

Most shuttle Busses don't have the overhang, and what makes them leak is the fiberglass body has a rubber gasket that moves against the steel roof. I have yet to see one that doesn't leak between the roof and gasket.

Also I should add that these electric awning have a gas filled cylinder in the support, so when you deploy it, you need to only extend it part way, stop and the allow the cylinder time to catch up before you extend it all the way. Same as when retracting it. Otherwise it may damage the cylinder and then the awning will flop around more in the wind.

I wonder how often that happens, I always roll my up tight to roof, and I don't leave out at night because of high wind.

I would recommend putting a strap to secure them if you are going to drive on windy days, but be sure to take it off before you try to extend it as it will tear and break things. Our neighbor went to extend his without unlocking it (his came with a locking mechanism) and ripped the mounts right through the wall of his new motor home. They vibrate loose going down the road and as they are spring loaded to open, the hard plastic casing separates and allows the wind to rip them open and off.

Latest posts