24/7 Security Camera Recording

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catchawave

Reaction score
Hello all, I want to setup a really cool van security camera system. My van is a 05 dodge sprinter high top 2500 (22 footer). I want to have stealth cameras to cover full 360 degrees around the van and wire the display into my existing tv running on the inverter. I don't want to have to setup a dedicated display for the security system. My tv has plenty of inputs, so I don't think it will be an issue if I can find a video receiver that has hdmi output. I also want a dedicated dvr/low power mini pc to be able to record the video 24/7 and rewrite when the video space is full just like a normal home security system. The challenge is making it as low power and stealth as possible. This way if there is activity outside the van, I will know what action to take. It would be great if parts of it could run on the 12v system and avoid using the inverter 24/7, but I don't know if this will be possible. Thanks for your input!

Mod edit: the link has been edited out. you are not allowed to post links until you have 10 contributing posts.

You can use POE (Power Over Ethernet) cameras so all the power will come from the switch. I'd use that along with a PC running Blue Iris or similar for the recording and display.

lenny flank said:
Windows are a lot easier.

You forgot the smiley face  :D

Windows would cost more, need to be installed, eliminate cabinet/wall space that could be used for storage, reduce privacy, reduce insulation, etc. Way harder, more complicated, and more costly in the end. Although, I prefer windows too.

But I also want a similar setup even though I do have windows on all sides. More for having a record of whats happened around the van should something every happen, which means I would want some sort of DVR in the mix. Plus, I could see out even if all the windows are covered for privacy, stealth, or to retain heat/cold. So also curious what others have done and what products they may have used for a security system.

Personally I think putting that much though and energy into "security issues" makes it more likely something will happen.

Do what you like of course but I prefer "Don't worry, be happy", the world in reality is a very safe and friendly place.

Florida boondocker said:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074...d+splitter&dpPl=1&dpID=5146835CiBL&ref=plSrch
Try this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076MQJFVF/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mod Edit:  first link is for a split screen monitor,  the second is for a back up camera.  I would like to remind everyone to include a description with their links.  there will come a time when I get tired of doing this and just delete the post.

I thought that link description rule was for videos only.... the idea being, most people won't click on a video without knowing what it is because they may not want to waste limited bandwidth on it. Those are links to amazon products. Pretty self-explanatory that they won't incur much bandwidth.

it's for all links. here is an excerpt of the rule,

" Once you've you've made enough substantive posts, include a complete description of the content of the link for those members who don't have enough bandwidth or data to view it. This includes any links within a signature."

highdesertranger

But if someone steals your van then all the security stuff goes with it.

I guess the concept behind security cameras if that if someone breaks in or otherwise messes with your stuff you'll have them on video. The problem is then what? Law enforcement would have to care enough to investigate further. Where would you fall in their priorities?

catchawave said:
 . . . I want to have stealth cameras to cover full 360 degrees around the van . . .

I've thought as far a using 4 backup cameras (cheap and unobtrusive) and a split screen TV (all 12 volt) for seeing what is going on outside without letting anyone know you are inside.  Low priority for me as I hardly ever stealth park.

highdesertranger said:
it's for all links.  here is an excerpt of the rule,

" Once you've you've made enough substantive posts, include a complete description of the content of the link for those members who don't have enough bandwidth or data to view it.  This includes any links within a signature."

highdesertranger

Okay but... a link to an amazon product isn't going to cost anyone perceivably more bandwidth than reading about it here on the forum... a 39kb product thumbnail image perhaps... just sayin'.

P.S. Sorry I missed ya on my way out of the RTR.

Florida boondocker said:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074...d+splitter&dpPl=1&dpID=5146835CiBL&ref=plSrch
Try this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076MQJFVF/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mod Edit:  first link is for a split screen monitor,  the second is for a back up camera.  I would like to remind everyone to include a description with their links.  there will come a time when I get tired of doing this and just delete the post.

feel free to delete it ... no big deal on my end

the idea is to get the poster to include a description. it's the rules. if someone can't take the couple of seconds it takes to type a description then perhaps they shouldn't post it in the first place. leaving it for a Mod to deal with is not right. it's easy people, just include a description with your link. highdesertranger

Unless it can be undetectable, the sheer presence of a security system may attract the very thing you are trying to prevent. A thief sees the cameras, puts on a mask and goes hunting for something of value.

MrNoodly said:
But if someone steals your van then all the security stuff goes with it.

I guess the concept behind security cameras if that if someone breaks in or otherwise messes with your stuff you'll have them on video. The problem is then what? Law enforcement would have to care enough to investigate further. Where would you fall in their priorities?

Even a video of the perp does no good unless you have a suspect to match it to. The cops are not gonna run that photo against every person in the state.

Bud Smiley said:
You can use POE (Power Over Ethernet) cameras so all the power will come from the switch. I'd use that along with a PC running Blue Iris or similar for the recording and display.

Very cool stuff from my research so far. Have you set this up before? How much power would you expect it to use? Already have a display that uses around 60 watts at peak. Trying to get a feel for if my system can support it 24/7.

I've got two Reolink cameras that are pulling 5.3 and 2.8 watts respectively. They're powered from a 60w POE switch and constantly monitored by Blue Iris so they're sending traffic all the time. It's pretty low draw.

Bud Smiley said:
I've got two Reolink cameras that are pulling 5.3 and 2.8 watts respectively. They're powered from a 60w POE switch and constantly monitored by Blue Iris so they're sending traffic all the time. It's pretty low draw.

Wow that's awesome! I've seen some cameras that are made to look like screws: https://www.amazon.com/Corprit-Hidd...rd_wg=eHlxj&psc=1&refRID=Z60AJ43JT73817TTREW5. This would be a good way to keep them stealth if they work well. Are your Reolink cameras easy to spot?

catchawave said:
Wow that's awesome! I've seen some cameras that are made to look like screws: https://www.amazon.com/Corprit-Hidd...rd_wg=eHlxj&psc=1&refRID=Z60AJ43JT73817TTREW5. This would be a good way to keep them stealth if they work well. Are your Reolink cameras easy to spot?

That's cool! I've seen 'holy' camera/lights in strips on vans before, not noted or linked, which may have been this. The technology is out there, but there are many more Chinese scams wasting people's time.

Yes, you may not overrule a stop to Dunkin Donuts, and forget overwhelming a stop to Krispy Kreme's; but the idea is YOU will have evidence to do your own investigations. You will also have something in hand to carry to the County Judge for a warrant.

Camera's are a whole lot cheaper than PI's and permanent evidence. There are also data banks on the web of pics to compare with, which Professors use often for plagiarism of term papers. That is the benefit of a site like this: Welcome new information and IGNORE naysayer Snitches. Peace.   :D

My hope for this lifestyle is to be mostly remote, away from people as much as possible, camping either off the trodden path or in rare cases, in groups similar to (but usually smaller than) the RTR. The odds of someone finding me while remote (unless I want them to) are next to zero. The odds of any of those very few, next to zero someones finding me being of ill intent are smaller still (1% of the population?). If I'm camping in a group, the advantage of numbers, I think, would deter any misdeeds by the scary 1%-ers. Honestly, I'm more afraid of lightning. With my luck, with a security camera, I'd get caught on record while outside peeing in the middle of the night, and my account would get hacked, the perps publishing photos of my wholly inadequate manhood all over the Internet while demanding ransom to remove them! Now THAT's scary!