2019 Ram 1500 and mild hybrid integration

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travelmonkey

Reaction score
There has been recent press on the updates to the half ton Ram truck coming in the 2019 models.  They are offering an integrated, small electric motor in both the V8 and V6 gas models.  There are not a lot of details available but it adds a bunch of torque so tow rating should be higher and gas mileage should improve.  Apparently it is also a couple of hundred pounds lighter.  

I can't find the original article I was reading but here is another that shows the key details  https://www.boston.com/cars/car-guides/2018/01/27/2019-ram-1500.

Seems like reverse hybrid?

Bet we'll be seeing people tap into the hefty alt generation that must require?

Ford, GM, and Jeep all have some form of 2020 electric vehicle push, probably even more.

Thanks for posting that article from Autoweek. It will be interesting to see how much this helps when towing and if it improves MPG when towing.

As an aside, I have a RAM with the ecodiesel engine. It is fine for towing my trailer but when one a slope, you can really feel the lag from the turbo. I've noticed it when backing into a spot that was up a slight grade. I wonder if this electric motor would help and if it will be offered in the RAM ED...

Weight said:
Ram thing is a 48 volt alternator and a 430 watt hour battery, whatever that is. It will provide more torque at low speeds. Here is a preview. http://autoweek.com/article/technology/2019-ram-etorque-system-torque-down-low

Lots of potential there for House batt hacking, fundamental advantage is a powerful alternator and its electrical output being considered mission critical to the propulsion system.

So many innovations designed to maximize mpg have the opposite effect.
I love how it assumes some people hate the whole concept of hybrid in principal.

What a country :cool:

miles per gallon will be the same maybe even less.
miles driven by the eletric motor can not be counted as gas milage.
and the tow ratings if higher would be off set by the weight of the batteries.
true pus are getting better mileage than the sixets/seventies. but car millage ( same size motor) has not improved.
it was easy to get 25-30 open rd out of a sixetys chevy 350 with a small carb. no over drive auto, NO smog devices.
now a lighter car. with fi your lucky you can get in the low 20's with a over drive auto.

so i say till the truck is out and used in real life. mileage is open to debate.