Thoughts on '97 Dodge Ram 1500

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sassypickins

Reaction score
I would appreciate advice on van buying. What do you think about this van?

View attachment 316

It's a '97 Dodge Ram 1500 w/42,750 miles. The seller states it has been garaged and not used (was his grandfather's), is like new, no damage, no leaks, no smoke, 3.9L, auto trans, power steering/brakes, a/c, tire tread 99%. He is asking $5,750.

But Nada prices it (if 'excellent') at around $3400 private seller and KBB is less. If I'm plugging in the right info...as a V6? So I am confused about the over $2,000 difference. If it's true that it's so unused and really is in almost new condition, should it be worth so much more than the car guides suggest?

Does anyone know if since it has finished interior walls it might already be insulated?

View attachment 317

Do you have any other pointers about this model/year etc?

Thank you! Sassy

ps. Hope I am posting this in the right place and if the photos do not load right can someone help me with that? I feel like a dork but I keep loading them and it shows the little blue 'not happening' icon. :-/ Yay they loaded! Now I need to learn how to post pics that are bigger and you don't have to 'open' them...

You could call and ask about the interior and see if it is insulated. It is a very nice rig.

Seller would probably take $5000 for it. If it were in my area I'd be buying it.

I am a newb though and not yet a vandweller so take these words lightly.

I wouldn't want a V6 from that year. It will be too underpowered and overworked. That's way too much for a 1997. That is very low mileage but I'm not sure it is worth that much extra.

Unless you just can't find another van, I'd keep looking.
Bob

I'm with Bob. My boss recently bought a 95 Dodge conversion with a 318 for $3200 (which was a bit much, but we were in a hurry), which we immediately took on a 1600 mile trip. It would have been hell in a van that size with a v6 trying to make those hills. The 318 ran like a dream, and now O/D and cruise control are on my 'must have' list for van shopping!

akrvbob said:
I wouldn't want a V6 from that year. It will be too underpowered and overworked. That's way too much for a 1997. That is very low mileage but I'm not sure it is worth that much extra.

Unless you just can't find another van, I'd keep looking.
Bob

Sometimes the v8's will actually get the same mileage or better and as he says, have more power. I had a 4.3 in a Silverado and it had more room around it to work on it and it was a good engine but I wouldn't buy another 6.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/bymodel/1997_Dodge_Van.shtml

i'm pretty sure that van would have a 'V8 MAGNUM' badge on the front fender if it had a V8. i don't see a badge so it's probably a 6.
something else to look out for: i noticed when i was van shopping that a lot of these '90's Rams had an A/C issue. when the A/C runs, it drips water onto the A-frame where it pools up and rusts. sometimes the whole A-frame and vehicle frame were rusted to the point of being too dangerous to drive, if the front wheel hadn't already collapsed. a welder could fix it, but we're talking big bucks if he's even willing to do the job because of liability. i'll try to find some examples of this on craigslist and post back.
if you are looking at one of these vans, give the area behind the front right wheel a good hard look.

Thank you kindly for the responses and good advice. I'm still in the booklearnin' stage here. No ventures out yet.

So if V8 is best, what should I look for in peak rpms and horsepower for the mountainous driving but that won't be complete gas hogs?

If that is known, would this site be useful to compare vehicles? Street Specs

Sassy

That site looks OK but you should check out others. The best thing to do if you have a particular brand/model in mind is to join a forum dedicated to that one vehicle and ask questions. Some years may be prone to certain defects that will show up but there are lots of variables. Or you can just browse and see what you can find. You need to take all info with a grain of salt because some owners are fanatical about their brand.

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/b-vans.html

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=278

Also, Google "used car buying tips","how to buy a used car",etc.

BTW: Driving in mountains doesn't necessarily mean less MPG. Sometimes you will get better average MPG.

Thanks for the links. :)

I don't know enough to have a preference as to make or model, but I would like to try for an extended length van with a high top, even though I think I remember reading a high top can reduce gas mileage by about 3 mpg, is that about right?

To get on over the hill but at the same time not empty the gas tank, do I try for a 3/4 ton as in 250 or 2500? I'm not planning on hauling anything and hope to build featherweight by using glue and screw 2x2, 2x1, plastic storage and the lightest gear I can scrounge up.

Any other recommendations/guidance will be appreciated.

Sassy

How tall are you? There are hitops that someone 6' tall can stand up in and then there are lower ones that might be OK for someone shorter. The lower topped ones are more aerodynamic and weigh a little less. I believe all the extended vans will be at least 3/4-ton, that's true for Dodges anyway. The 3/4 and 1-tons may have either a small or large V8 depending on the year. Most of the (full) hitop vans will have the larger engines and yes, you'd expect a 3 MPG reduction. IMO opinion it's better to have a larger engine so you have enough power to handle mountainous terrain than a smaller engine that gets a little better MPG.

If you go to Autozone's site and "ADD A VEHICLE" and punch in the type of van you're looking at, it will tell you what types of engines a particular year/model came with.

Some people end up wanting to pull a cargo trailer or TT. V8

Modern engines are better in every way than the older ones. So you want to get as new as you can afford.

The oldest modern engine is the Ford 5.4 so you will find the most of them.
I like the Chevy 5.3 a lot and highly recommend it.
The 1 ton Chevy Express with a 4 speed is one of the best transmissions you can buy.
Among older engines I'm a big fan of the Dodge 318.

If you can't afford them, try to get something newer than a 1996 since it will have OBD II

If you have to get something older, try hard to get fuel injection if at all possible. Far better than carbureted engines.

BUT!! Much more important than an engines reputation is how it has been taken care of. A well maintained average engine is going to be far better than a poorly maintained "super" engine. The only way to know that is to take it to a mechanic and get it checked out before you buy!!
Bob

Bob - is your motorcycle fuel injected. Have to tease because my motorcycle is not either. And wish it was.

Damn, that interior looks AWESOME.

sassypickins said:
So if V8 is best, what should I look for in peak rpms and horsepower for the mountainous driving but that won't be complete gas hogs?
Sassy

A V8 will get about 1-2 MPG less than a V6 for both city and hwy, when rated empty and on flatland by the MFG. Once you pack it with a ton of vandwelling necessity, they both will lose MPG (especially from a complete stop and go situation) and the V8 will come out better than the V6. Go up mountains and it's going to be much worse MPG with the V6. And you'll also strain the crap out of it as compared to a V8.

ofroad, no, the small cheap bikes aren't Fuel Injected. Some of the newer more expensive bikes are going that way, but I think they are still a small majority.

Even so, it's still going to be a whole lot cheaper per mile than the 350 in the van!!
Bob

@slow2day – I need at least 6’ or more as I may be traveling with a big hubby, unless he decides this ain’t for him, in which case I guess I’ll have plenty of stretching room.

@donedirtcheap – good point to have tow power … there is an old 1/4T jeep trailer out in the back forty.

@Bob - thanks for the very clear guidelines. That’s a wealth of info and it will help me cull out what I don’t want to bother with. ps. Thanks underlined for this forum.

@MK7 – I KNOW!!! The exterior is sweet, too, but the interior – man, if that was already insulated it would have saved me some work! But then look at the engine compartment hogging the whole front area. Thanks for the mpg info.

I have some parameters now about what to look for. I'll post what I find and see if I get an “A-ok” from you all as something to go look at and yes, I’ll take my inspection checklist and gear, list of known issues for that vehicle - like what vanguy said about the 90’s Ram A/C issue – who woulda thunk - and a mechanic.

Sassy

In 1997, dodge used the LA3.9 magnum engines in the vans which were pretty powerful. Great engines. Not as bomb proof as the previous Slant-6, but it will get only 1-2mpg more then the 5.2 or even the 5.9L will.

The most important thing to look at in Dodges are: Rust in the pillars, state of the transmission (esp the 4 speed auto), and if all the dash gauges work.

Will look for a manual transmission then.

Older, low mileage units are often in worse condition than their higher mileage counter parts. Vehicles systems need to warm up to full operating temperature to operate efficiently, otherwise the valve train will gum up, the catylitic converters will burn out, et al. If once a week it was driven for a decent trip, then great. However usually low mileage older stuff meant it was started once a day and driven a mile - the worst of all worlds. Just saying, because a lot of people will see a really low mileage vehicle and figure it must be like new, but that might not be the case.