2016 Ford Transit Connect Camper Van buildout w/ 15,000 miles @ $20K Good Price?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomad11

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I found a 2016 Ford Transit Connect Camper Van w/ 15,000 miles & still under warranty, asking price is $20,000 (private seller). It's pretty much built out w/ 100w Solar panel to charge a separate 12v battery, wood bed frame, small wood cabinetry, carpeted floor, ceiling vent & interior LED lights.

I would just need to insulate/panel the walls plus buy a cooler, a compost toilet & a mini sink if it will fit.

I'm just not sure if I should buy a cheaper van (possibly bigger), a bit older w/ more mileage (under 60K) & do some of the build myself & hire out the rest such as electrical & carpentry.

Is $20,000 for a 2016 Ford Transit Connect Camper Van w/ 15K miles mostly builtout w/ solar a good price? 

As mentioned I would need to insulate & panel the walls plus buy a cooler, compost toilet & sink. Plus I have two small dogs & need room for inner bike storage.

Sounds kind've expensive and small for you and two dogs plus a bike and fridge, portapotty and such.

Are you going full time or just long weekends now and then?

tx2sturgis said:
Sounds kind've expensive and small for you and two dogs plus a bike and fridge, portapotty and such.

Are you going full time or just long weekends now and then?

Hi! My thoughts too, starting out part-time then full-time living :)

The average price for a 2016 Transit Connect is about 18,000 to 19,000 by itself. 1-2 thousand for the buildout seems steep, but that depends on whats in it.

Have heard about some problems with the Ford Transit, which you might want to check out...

I am sure it is a great vehicle, but I would certainly check out any van I would want to buy.
I did a quick search and a grab.  You would have to look more completely, but perhaps you
have already done this...   :exclamation:

Here is one link:   http://www.fordtransitcomplaintsdefectsproblems.com/

Excellent points & suggestions everyone, thanks so much! :)