2015 Ford Transit 250 - My Observations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Early September, I made the decision to trade in my 2012 Chevy Silverado and my 26 foot 2010 Keystone Hideout on a brand new 2015 Ford Transit. What drove me to do this was 1) debt, I wanted out from under that camper, 2) a simpler solution for camping, 3) interest in van dwelling and the potential for saving close to a thousand dollars a month on rent and utilities.

While I haven't made the decision to live in my van yet, I wanted to have that option and I wanted a simpler camping solution that went with me everywhere I go. I spent months looking around at the various vans and almost let myself get talked into a 2013 Chevy 3500 extended van, but I wasn't sure yet I wanted to do it and it wouldn't have helped me with my camper situation, which I wanted out of.

I considered a number of vans, but one day I noticed that a local dealer had a 2015 Ford Transit 250 sitting on their lot, so I had to go look at it. At that time it was a Sunday and no one came out from the dealership to help. The back end was open so I did a full tour of the van and recorded it for YouTube.

The main selling points:
-I could stand in it at 5'8".
-The floor had a nice insulated rubber textured covering with padding underneath.
-The side walls were covered with plastic panels.
-The van had been designed to be without noise while driving.
-Plenty of d-rings to strap things down with. Huge door openings and windows.
-Comfortable driving seats.
-Limitless possibilities.
-Drives like a car.

The dealership was happy to take my truck and camper as trade-in and so within a week I had made the decision to go ahead and do it. I haven't looked back; I don't miss my truck or my camper.

Once I acquired the van, I set about doing a modular configuration where I could add/remove items to keep the van as versatile as possible. This meant no hard wiring, no tapping of screws or drilling holes.

How I did it:
-Magnets for holding items on the walls and ceiling.
-Spring-loaded curtain rods, except for side curtain which has curtain rod zip tied to hooked magnets.
-Twin Sealy Posturepedic bed with box springs and frame, strapped to cargo d-rings. Comfort was important to me.
-Magnetic LED light sources.
-Magnets with d-rings for hanging light and fan from the ceiling.
-Small desk and office chair with the casters left off, so they wouldn't move around and didn't require being strapped down.
-Replaced factory incandescent dome lights (cargo area) with LED's.
-Four plastic storage bins under the bed hold misc gear; 23x16.25x6.

Considerations:
-Food - Switch to a more of a raw diet, reliant on grocery store fresh produce section. Supplemented with cooking on a propane burner outside the van, at local parks or what not.
-Sanitation - Porta potty (don't have one yet) or always keep a restroom option close by.
-Moisture - Damp Rid and ventilation.
-Odors - Good ole baking soda freezer boxes, no spill, soaks up odors.
-Hygiene - Strategic use of restrooms or a gym membership.
-Power - "Power station" portable rechargeable battery unit/jumping unit until I'm ready to put some holes for solar and a couple deep cell 6VDC batteries. Supplement with locations that supply power (I have many available to me).
-Internet - iPhone personal hotspot with large gig allowance. I have a 50mb connection at home so switching to wireless would be fine. I also have access to countless locations with internet, that's excluding the odd wifi availability which rounds out internet.
-Cooling - Two 200mm or 250mm computer fans using computer fan control, plugged into 12VDC power.
-Heat - Electric heater. Opted not to go with propane due to carbon monoxide. Spend most of my time at locations of warmth (truck stops, etc.) and then retire to the van when it's time for bed.

My biggest obstacle right now is owning pets. I have a 9 year old chihuahua and a 2 year old cat. Neither would fare well in the summer in Ohio. Winter they could survive but summer might be brutal.

That's my 2015 Ford Transit so far... and my ideas and concepts. I'm sure there will be many revisions. So far things are great, but I'm not living in it... yet...

As Patrick would say "if no pictures then it didn't happen!"
We demand pictures!
Pictures for all!
A picture is worth a thousand words!
A picture in hand is worth two not posted.
Well, you get the idea : )

Did I hear the words "youtube video"? Just need a link.

Count me as interested!

Pictures are forthcoming for this thread, I just haven't gotten around to them yet. I have plenty of videos of everything I discussed, though. See these links:

My original YouTube channel is for other life interests, but the initial two video series of my tour of the van on the dealer lot can be found here (playlist): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWG_UjVweZ04tO6DQCy0VpIDfiuX-nfKN

I have created a channel specifically for the van and everything surrounding it, which is called Transit Chronicles. This channel is where I've posted all of my van videos (subsequent to the initial two tour videos at the dealership). Channel link (video tab): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoSQAYPXTsoBIzHYuFydBAQ/videos

Update - The new official name for the van is "Transitsaurus Rex" or T-Rex for short. I plan on making a logo to be made into a static sticker with either a skull or head silhouette. Should be fun.

Pictures of the outside can be found in my introduction thread here: https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=11062

As I said, pics are forthcoming within the next day or two.

Very nice! I subscribed to your channel and I'll watch the videos as soon as I can.
When I was looking to get a van that's the type I wanted. Unfortunately I had to buy my Chevy before the transit came out : (

Which could be a good thing, time will tell.

*nods* I know the feeling. I've been waiting a long time for the right van to come along. Thank you for the subscription.

Wow, I didn't know that ford had discontinued the E Series. That's sad in my opinion, but times are changing i see that and the dog gone euro look is making it's way in. That Transit 250 (shall we call it a T-250?) looked a bit narrower.

Yes, T-250 is what I've seen it designated as and it is the replacement for the Econoline. I think for this to compete, it had to have a competitive look and I think they did an excellent job bringing it together. The number of variations you can get is staggering and I still feel this is the best choice for the price. The only thing I'd have gotten different is maybe a diesel engine, but it won't be available for a year or two. Still, the 3.7 V6 is a great engine and seems to pull the van effortlessly. I really like the 6th gear for fuel economy.

The Transit is a long-serving platform, just not here in the States. Like all Eurovans, it seems too narrow, but logical considering the narrow streets in old European towns. We Americans really like more size.

It looks too narrow, but I measured 68 inches between the walls above the fender wells and 54 inches between the fender wells. Plenty of room. The back of the van feels cavernous and it would haul anything I'd want to haul in it. After putting a full sized twin bed in it I still have feet of space between it and the wall, to walk back to the back without bumping into the bed. I'm happy with the size.

Good thorough vids there. I assume the gas tank door release is on the left side of the driver's seat on the floor? Makes the most sense. Its seem a bit wider than an Astro, but much better standing room and gas mileage. If I were to put a bed in there I'd keep it to a narrow 28 inches. Every bit helps. I dont know that I would ever buy a brand new van, but if I did, this looks like a top contender. Great stealth, great gas mileage and stand-up room. Very nice!

Congratulations on your new van !!! One word of caution, I got a used van with a rubber mat that had padded support underneath. That trapped moisture so easy and then got the floor rusted really easy. And I haven't even finished my conversion !!!!
Congrats again for your versatile rig conversion

Free Range Chicken said:
Congratulations on your new van !!! One word of caution, I got a used van with a rubber mat that had padded support underneath. That trapped moisture so easy and then got the floor rusted really easy. And I haven't even finished my conversion !!!!
Congrats again for your versatile rig conversion

Thank you for validating my decision to remove the cargo mat on my van!

While rust under the mat is bad, mold is even worse!

I had a friend with Toxic Mild Poising so bad he couldn't be in houses. We searched Las Vegas for cargo vans and he pulled back every vans rubber mat and they all had mold. People hose the vans out and stuff starts growing.
Bob

I don't plan on hosing it out and I will have moisture absorbing products in the van 24/7. It's not your typical rubber mat you find in a regular van, it's some thick and heavy vinyl meant for heavy hauling. I'll keep an eye on it for sure.

The gas door has no lock. It can't be opened unless the door is open. A tab keeps it "locked" behind the door. There is no gas cap either, just an opening with a spring loaded nozzle door.

15 MPG if you drive it easy. It's not broken in yet so I have been staying under 2500 to 3000 RPM. I think the MPG is going to be pretty consistent at 15, as long as I drive it properly; it has been consistent so far.