2014 Chevy Express 2500 Van Build: Luisafernandes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bottom line: his install is a tragic mess because they failed to send all the parts,, twice,,, and parts do not properly fit each other and some damaged parts!

I agree with Bob, not because I don't like videos. I just don't have very good wifi at home, so they are super slow to load. And if I watch too many on my data plan then I go over and it costs big bucks. Besides, I like to read. ;)

akrvbob said:
What install is a mess?

I guess I'll never know.
Bob

He paid something like $1,200 bucks for the roof rack system that came in from somewhere in the east pacific with all kinds of missing parts and a set of instructions that didn't make much sense.

I kept fast forwarding the tape.... :)

To everyone that can't watch YouTube videos I apologize for not posting pictures or a more lengthly explanation.

After looking and researching for a roof rack since before buying the van, I settled on the Vantech H2 roof rack. It had very good reviews, holds 750 pounds, helps hide the stuff up on the roof, and looks good too.

When I got the two boxes with the rack, I was all excited...and a bit cold too.
3caddf2b1ef42478ee212f5dc9c9cd51.jpg

Soon after laying things on the ground;
9c47584267d4a5b73ea3c09d7d49e807.jpg

I began to read the laughable "instructions";
da70932df37001c8ebcae2a87fbed64e.jpg

That's when I realized quality control had taken the day off when they boxed and shipped this to me.
All 6 of the mounting bases like this one were missing;
3c881138b7ae5b607de31ed50caebd37.jpg

After waiting 2 weeks to get the missing pieces, I get all set to put it together and...realize they gave me 6 connector tubes instead of 8. The connector tubes are the bare aluminum pieces you see here with half its length inside the rails;
90f6217d00f9b4d0f4a1f91371e871e6.jpg

They connect the three rail pieces together.
I thought about this for a day and decided to shorten the system from almost 14 feet (they say 12') to 10 feet (actual size is 10' 6" without the end caps). This way I didn't need 8 but 4 connector tubes.
In one of the above pictures you can see the smaller section of rail that I decided not to use.

As I was beginning to piece things together I realized something else was wrong: the cross bars didn't fit the rails.
909fd12a656e1f823a6cb4de269f9e4b.jpg

I had to file the powder coated paint off to make it fit.
2e4a8b08b27a17b561164656e70897b1.jpg

First I got the rails connected;
4d03058b08e9bcb47bf9db9407a9aeb0.jpg

fb1e778808d9a2f0566c50c7c59adc9b.jpg

Then I assembled the whole thing;
877182eec6acf272b08a30560630008b.jpg

Even with the paint stripped off the only way to make the cross bars fit into the rails was to pull them in with the bolts.

After much pain the rack was assembled, and with the help of two young teenagers and another adult I was carefully able to set the rack on the roof.
I used cardboard boxes and foam like you see here to elevate the rack of the roof and give me room to work;
64218ee3284db789311bc05ae0feb995.jpg

Then was just a question of time and effort to install the mounting bases one at a time.
4872db4eb718c721dca6c05fa122352d.jpg

The rubber protection kept coming off as I tighten it together, but eventually it all came together;
33bf3ee36645038fd41942065e95f15d.jpg

As of this moment I still need to insert the end caps at the rear of the van, and 4 more bolts need to be tightened (need to buy a wrench that fits a tight space), other than that, it's beginning to look good.
4c7a11a30b830f90624cfd51ff122f35.jpg

Thanks so much for the photos! :D I live at the end of the phone lines and dsl is the only game here other than expensive satellite, so I rarely try to watch videos.

It's so frustrating when pieces are missing or don't fit together the way they should! Other than that it looks like a nice roof rack. Other than the hassles how are you liking it so far? Do you have photos of the inside of your van? :D

anewbiewannabe said:
Thanks so much for the photos! :D I live at the end of the phone lines and dsl is the only game here other than expensive satellite, so I rarely try to watch videos.

It's so frustrating when pieces are missing or don't fit together the way they should! Other than that it looks like a nice roof rack. Other than the hassles how are you liking it so far? Do you have photos of the inside of your van? :D

Hi and welcome! I understand your connection dilemma and will try to keep that in mind for when I post more videos.

Big pain to put together, but like it so far. Mind you that as I type this it's only been up on the roof since Sunday, 5 days so far. I'll need some more time, including having the solar panels up there before I can make a fair analyses on the system.

I have plenty of photos but you'll have to go back on this thread to see them. They start from the day I bought the van and before anything was done to it. [emoji106]?[emoji1][emoji604]

Hmmm. I've probably looked at them then. ;) I've looked at so many photos on here it's hard to keep track. :p I'll go back and look again.

Look forward to seeing the solar install. :D Thanks!

Wowsers!!!!! :D I'll have to go back later to see the rest or I'll never get anything done today---I've made it to page 15. Not sure if I got lost in all the discussions between your photos or if I came late to the party and somehow got started toward the end and missed the beginnings. Whichever. :p Awesome stuff I've seen so far!!! Thanks for sharing even if the discussions befuddle me sometimes. So many ways to do things. ;)

You may mention it further on, but if I may ask, where did you find the uhm end caps for the black puzzle floor mats? I love my floor mats and have used them for cushioning in tent camping but I've never seen the pieces that even out the edges. Thanks! :)

I doubt more than one analysis will be necessary, but it looks like a fair system, once you got over the poor shipping. They should take more care in making sure all parts are there. What was the price for that rack unit?

anewbiewannabe said:
Wowsers!!!!! :D I'll have to go back later to see the rest or I'll never get anything done today---I've made it to page 15. Not sure if I got lost in all the discussions between your photos or if I came late to the party and somehow got started toward the end and missed the beginnings. Whichever. :p Awesome stuff I've seen so far!!! Thanks for sharing even if the discussions befuddle me sometimes. So many ways to do things. ;)

You may mention it further on, but if I may ask, where did you find the uhm end caps for the black puzzle floor mats? I love my floor mats and have used them for cushioning in tent camping but I've never seen the pieces that even out the edges. Thanks! :)

The end pieces for the floor mats (which I used under the bed for a while) came in together in the package. [emoji106][emoji1][emoji604]

LeeRevell said:
I doubt more than one analysis will be necessary, but it looks like a fair system, once you got over the poor shipping. They should take more care in making sure all parts are there. What was the price for that rack unit?

I'll know how well it works once I have the solar up and running. And yes, very poor quality control.
I paid $1200 from realtruck.com, some other places want almost $1500. It came with free shipping. [emoji106][emoji1][emoji604]

You'd said something about 'poor instructions'. Kinda like the "Engrish" instructions in old model kits and box-store yard equipment? Sometimes I can only assemble them if they include good pictures and diagrams! Had a buddy once with a mod for his Beemer motorcycle. I read a little German, but luckily the pics kept us straight! Japanese or Chinese, faggitabouttit! :)

LeeRevell said:
You'd said something about 'poor instructions'. Kinda like the "Engrish" instructions in old model kits and box-store yard equipment? Sometimes I can only assemble them if they include good pictures and diagrams! Had a buddy once with a mod for his Beemer motorcycle. I read a little German, but luckily the pics kept us straight! Japanese or Chinese, faggitabouttit! :)

I think their problem was that they ran out of typing ink, thus the very few words. As far as the pictures go, I think Martians did them. [emoji106][emoji1][emoji604]

Thx for the written and pictorial story. Data is almost used up this month & I still have a week left [emoji33]

Looks good up but sounds like a nightmare.

That's an interesting item in the background of that last pic you posted. What is it?

Cheers

gypsychic said:
Thx for the written and pictorial story. Data is almost used up this month & I still have a week left [emoji33]

Looks good up but sounds like a nightmare.

That's an interesting item in the background of that last pic you posted. What is it?

Cheers

You're welcome! Hope you enjoyed it.
The item in the background, you mean New York City?

Luisafernandes said:
The item in the background, you mean New York City?

Ha Ha :p No, the item on the right side of the picture, closer to your driver's side of the van.

gypsychic said:
Ha Ha :p No, the item on the right side of the picture, closer to your driver's side of the van.

[emoji23] One is a tree stump, the other a trench box used to protect workers when digging more than 4 feet down. Why? Would you like one? You can use it attached to the front of your vehicle as an added protection. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji106]?[emoji604]

Latest posts