2006 Town & Country build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evoscot

Reaction score
I'm all about gas mileage.  Besides what is more stealth than a Chrysler minivan.  You see 50 of them for every 1 full size van on the road.

I took my van on its first camping trip last weekend parking it at my buddies seasonal site.  The only preparations I made were folding the seats into the floor, an 8" twin sized air mattress, Swiss Gear sleeping bag, a real pillow, and a cooler full of ice and beer.

I froze my ass off because it got down into the 40's that night.  It was a lot more comfortable than how I normally camp though. 

Plans for the van include sleeping for 2 adults (my son and I) on separate beds in an over lapping bunk arrangement.  One mattress on the floor one elevated.  Removing 3 of the 4 stow n go seats for added storage below the floor, swivel front passenger seat, tv, video game console, dometic fridge/freezer cooler, solar, rv batteries, sink, ect ect ect.  I'm not going to live in it full time but it will be outfitted well.  I just need to sell my car and I can go nuts buying supplies for the conversion.

My 2005 Grand Caravan is identical but for color. I have camped in it with a twin sized air mattress, and was very comfy. I can't imagine stacked bunks in a Gen Four Chrysler/Dodge minivan. Not enough inside height. But I am a big guy, and need more room above me. I camped in the colder weather where I had AC power to plug into. My little electric space heater kept the van at a comfy 65F, in 24F outside temp.
I also have a Portable Buddy propane heater that would do nicely if AC power wasn't available. Gen Fours have vents near the floor in back, so plenty of ventilation, and leaving a front window cracked insures even better venting.
I still need to remove my rear seat, to use the underfloor stowage bin for gear.
I began my motorcycle roadtrips using a three man dome tent, and camping gear. Fun then, but now it's too much given my health and age. So I tow an open trailer for the bike, and sleep in the GC. Much better!

The more I read about the gen 4 GCs the better I like them
Sadly, only the gen 2 and 3s seem to pp up on CL at lower prices

I'm itching to do a Grand Caravan build as well. The stow and go option would allow for so many different build options. I may get one next year to convert. Looking forward to seeing your progress

Are the Grand Caravan/Town & Country reliable though?
I've always heard that they tend to die at about 150k. Our old Grand Caravan (1992 I believe) had the transmission go out shortly after 150k.
I'd love the Stow & Go option, but as I'm going to be buying used, I also want something that's not on it's last legs.

KASibson said:
I've always heard that they tend to die at about 150k.  Our old Grand Caravan (1992 I believe) had the transmission go out shortly after 150k.
I'd love the Stow & Go option, but as I'm going to be buying used, I also want something that's not on it's last legs.

I work at an auto parts store so I get the same phone calls over and over.  About the only thing that comes up on the caravans is water pumps, intake gaskets and alternators.  Pretty regular stuff.

I'm pretty sure Chrysler had the transmissions remedied by the early 2000's

My van is one of the old delivery vans from work.  My boss gave me a really good deal on it $500.  It does have some rust and the miles are high at 220k but it still runs good and with a new set of tires and some basic maintenance I'll drive it anywhere.

My 2005 GC has been reliable, though it does need a battery every year and a half or so - the heavy electronics stresses it. Also, the electric door locks and side door opening systems are constantly failing. It needs the battery disconnected for ten minutes to reset it. It keeps throwing a code concerning a "minor leak in emission control system", annoying but not a problem. If I reset it, it generally stays off til a specific weather/humidity condition happens.
The headliner has come loose too. The layer of foam between the outer fabric and the molded fiberboard shell rots, then the fabric peels off. Again annoying. Had the same trouble with a couple cars years ago - I stripped the fabric and foam off, then painted the shell. I will do the same with this van.
The autl tranny has remained good. The K-car based Gen One and Gen Two had faulty trannies, but they totally changed the platform and tranny in the Gen Three and Gen Four. So now the electronics has the bugs. I can live with it.

the mid 90s caravans with the I4 engines liked to eat a transmission about every 125 to 150k miles, the v6 models, with the same trans, didn't do this, probably an indicator that the underpowered 4 was working the tranny too hard
I think all GCs had the v6 so should be ok

Worked on my van today.  Most of the destruction is complete.  Had a few people call on my car today and one lady test drove it so I hope it sells soon so i can order some parts.  I don't know how to embed a video but I made one and here is the link:

Worked on the van some more today.  Filming myself and trying to explain what I'm doing makes me appreciate the really well made videos out there on youtube.  I got the seat put back together and talked about what got me into vans when I was younger.  

Here's part 2: 

And a couple pictures

a pair of group 31 deep cycles sitting in the right rear stow n go well

Love the MPG

what a mess it is so far

Also make sure that the battery area is vented

LeeRevell said:
Be careful of the battery weight.  The underfloor tubs are plastic.  Might need some steel straps to reinforce it?

They are steel on mine.  Maybe the 08 and newer are plastic?  Unless they are military grade magnetic plastic.

I'm going to build another cabinet or shelves in the rear of the main counter that is separate and quick detachable so I can lift it out easily for battery access.  The batteries are going to be in a sealed box from the cabin but vented to the outside.  The battery box will be the base for the quick detach unit above it.  I'm looking to use the area above the batteries as storage for a couple dirt bike helmets or for whatever else will fit in them if I do not have any bikes along camping.

LeeRevell said:
My 2005 GC has been reliable, though it does need a battery every year and a half or so - the heavy electronics stresses it.  Also, the electric door locks and side door opening systems are constantly failing.  It needs the battery disconnected for ten minutes to reset it.   It keeps throwing a code concerning a "minor leak in emission control  system", annoying but not a problem.  If I reset it, it generally stays off til a specific weather/humidity condition happens.
The headliner has come loose too.  The layer of foam between the outer fabric and the molded fiberboard shell rots, then the fabric peels off.  Again annoying.  Had the same trouble with a couple cars years ago - I stripped the fabric and foam off, then painted the shell.  I will do the same with this van.
The autl tranny has remained good.  The K-car based Gen One and Gen Two had faulty trannies, but they totally changed the platform and tranny in the Gen Three and Gen Four.  So now the electronics has the bugs.  I can live with it.

This sounds exactly like my 2001 T&C LE. Electrical problems abound, constanty replacing the battery (about once a year for us), the windows quit working and we discovered it's common for them to get "off track" inside the door (no clue how but it happens), etc. I don't think I'd try to full-time in it, but I might try a later model year.

Really looking forward to seeing the finished build!

evoscot said:
They are steel on mine.  Maybe the 08 and newer are plastic?  Unless they are military grade magnetic plastic.

I'm going to build another cabinet or shelves in the rear of the main counter that is separate and quick detachable so I can lift it out easily for battery access.  The batteries are going to be in a sealed box from the cabin but vented to the outside.  The battery box will be the base for the quick detach unit above it.  I'm looking to use the area above the batteries as storage for a couple dirt bike helmets or for whatever else will fit in them if I do not have any bikes along camping.

Have to check mine again - thought my '05 had plastic bins.

KASibson said:
I've always heard that they tend to die at about 150k.  Our old Grand Caravan (1992 I believe) had the transmission go out shortly after 150k.

My 2005 T&C has 222 thousand miles on it & it's still going strong. Here are a few pictures of what it looks like now, these were meant to show the solar so they are not as clear on the build as they could be...
http://observations-on-the-road.blogspot.com/2016/09/solar-on-mini-van.html

MindyLee said:
Really looking forward to seeing the finished build!

I got quite a bit done today  here's the part 3 video: 

I got the cabinet mostly finished.  Still have to make doors, drawers, and shelves.  Also made another video. 

Bradley fits pretty well.

Worked on the van again today.  I'm not much of a carpenter but I'm trying.  Wasted a pretty nice piece of wood today making mistakes but I did make progress.

I got the top rail all notched out for hinges and slide outs to support the flip out portion of the top bunk.

Had one of the doors almost done and ruined it while trying to chisel out the area for the hinge.

Made another video also : 

Latest posts