2 Way Dimmer Switch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evandude

Reaction score
Hey! 

I'm reaching out for some advice on how to properly wire a 2 way dimmer switch together. Never done anything like this before and most of the video tutorials I've seen are described in housing electrical. The dimmer switches I am using have a positive, negative and ground. If I have one that I am mounting near the bed frame and fusebox can I use the same ran wiring connecting the positive and negative to a second mounted dimmer switch near the kitchen via twist splice / twist connections? I have a simple diagram to explain. If you have any alternative diagram ideas I greatly appreciated what is shared
:thumbsup: 

Safe travels!

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    651.3 KB · Views: 10
If you got a 12v LED dimmer unit made for remote control you could get 2 controllers and mount them anywhere you want to using Velcro. A whole lot less wiring is needed and you can change your mind about the best position for the dimmer control.

For instance something like this unit (just shown as an example of what it looks like). You would need to find a brand where you can purchase extra remote controllers. You can have more than one zone of lighting on this dimmer unit which is another useful advantage.
https://kingsoutdoorlighting.com/pr...MIsYCCyuiR6gIVgD2tBh2JfgcsEAQYASABEgLQg_D_BwE

Your diagram only shows one functioning dimmer, the bedroom one and it will work only if the lights are grounded.

My kitchen dimmer only controls the kitchen lights. Same for bathroom and bedroom.

Trying to put one dimmer behind another like that will kinda work but the one closest to the battery is the main dimmer and the other one can only dim it more, not make it brighter.

Edit to add: What you are trying to do is make a 3 way dimmer circuit. It will require more wires if you can find a 12V DC 3 way switch.

The diagram you show will NOT work, there is no ground or negative return for the lights.

It would be much simpler to put one dimmer switch in a location between those two extremes.

Next easiest would be to use 2 different switches on 2 different pairs of lights, even if those lights are adjacent to each other. (I like this arrangement because it gives you THREE light levels from the array: dim&dim, dim&bright, and bright&bright)

Getting more complicated, would be to get a remote control dimmer with one or two remotes.

Finally, somewhat complex, it is possible to arrange two dimmers, but one will always be the master, the other will be a slave dimmer....unless there is another control, to switch the functions of the two dimmers.

The negative side of the dc light is to the negative bus bar or the chassis if that is part of your circuits.

Thanks all for sharing the different ideas to go with. The dimmer I have near the kitchen is more so out of convenience of turning off any lights from the drivers seat. I'm drawn to using the bed switch the "master" dimmer and kitchen as "slave"

The switch I obtained is this one here and was suggested through several blog posts. Interesting thing is that the manufacturer doesn't recommend using them as 3 ways but all those who I read recommended clearly did just that. Could any safety concerns of using this switch as a 3 way anyway be mitigated through using thicker wires?

Latest posts