RV/Van lighting - Mult-location dimmers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29855

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a project for my van. I have very bright overhead lighting which runs the length of my van, and I control the brightness with a on/off/dimmer switch near my bed. Works just great EXCEPT, when I enter the van, I can't control the lighting unless I enter the van first and reach the back of the van where the dimmer is located. If I connect my door switches to the overhead lighting, I'll get full brightness, which believe me, you don't want to be hit with if your eyes have become accustomed to the dark.

So I have the idea of a multi-location dimmer, consisting of a "dimmer box" which is connected to the lighting, and several slave dimmers which would be in convenient locations. Whichever control was adjusted would control the lighting. For example, I could enter from the side of the van, and turn set the dimmer to a low level of light. I could then move the the rear of the van, and when I wanted more light, I could use the dimmer in the rear of the van. Whatever dimmer was most recently changed would control the lighting.

So my question is, if I were to develop this, would anyone buy it? I'd really appreciate any thoughts, positive or negative.

^ It's been done.....you can buy RF remote dimmers for 12 volt applications....<$10 online

One Dimmer module wired .....All the wireless remote switch locations you want........On/OFF/Brightness/(Color)

All locations are able to change the lights at any given moment.................