2-Burner Propane Stoves

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I know I will probably get blasted for this, because it is not "normal," but:

What are the cons for taking the regulator off the main RV tank and running high-pressure from my tank to my stove? Every propane powered thing that I can think of that I will be putting into this RV is likely to be of the outdoor or portable variety and will, apparently therefore, be designed to connect to a high-pressure line with it's own regulator. Keep in mind that this RV is TOTALLY stripped. I will be running all new gas lines to where I eventually put my stove-top.

I know, if I get a leak, it will leak out faster.

However, Bob Wells and many others have gotten along with 20# tanks in their vans for years.

How about going the other way around? Buy a "drop-in" stove-top made for use in an rv, but then make it "portable" by making it easy to disconnect and remove. I could fabricate a small, light wind-shield that triples as a cover when not in use AND as a backsplash when used inside.

What you want is two seperate cooking sources. One for use inside the RV, the other for outside. The only common cooking gear you need are the cooking utensils.

If memory serves me(that's a big if)propane operates at about 11 in. of water column,which is about 6 oz. pressure.I wouldn't use a tank without a regulator.I would think it would be hard to control the output.

You have the space to carry them.  Build one in, inside and have a portable for use outside.  I think you will end up frustrated at the difficulty of trying to modify one as dual purpose.  Buy the cheap one first and use it while you save for the more expensive one.  If the RV came with a cook top, refurbish and reuse it.

B and C said:
You have the space to carry them.  Build one in, inside and have a portable for use outside.  I think you will end up frustrated at the difficulty of trying to modify one as dual purpose.  Buy the cheap one first and use it while you save for the more expensive one.  If the RV came with a cook top, refurbish and reuse it.
Well, the fact of the matter is that I probably won't be cooking outside much. So I don't want to buy and store something that I won't use that much. But I can easily add feet to something and then not bolt it down permanently.

No stove came with the RV. It is an empty shell.

you are over thinking again, trying to reinvent the wheel and not interested in anyone's advice, you can adapt any stove to be removable, high pressure, low pressure, no pressure, in the end your stove will end up being what comes your way from the local used market or falls in your lap, this failing you will  buy at the lowest possible price a  new made in china piece of crap from your local box store based on it's colour, when you get it is the time to start discussing how to hook it up and make it work for your intentions. when are you moving in? have you got those 300lbs of 2x4s up yet and is the roof still leaking? :)

flying kurbmaster said:
you are over thinking again, trying to reinvent the wheel and not interested in anyone's advice, you can adapt any stove to be removable, high pressure, low pressure, no pressure, in the end your stove will end up being what comes your way from the local used market or falls in your lap, this failing you will  buy at the lowest possible price a  new made in china piece of crap from your local box store based on it's colour, when you get it is the time to start discussing how to hook it up and make it work for your intentions. when are you moving in? have you got those 300lbs of 2x4s up yet and is the roof still leaking? :)
Dude! This is completely uncalled for. You should be ashamed of yourself. Just because I don't bow and do whatever you and a couple of others here say with MY RV, does not give you the right to talk to me or anyone else that way. If you have a helpful suggestion, I'm all ears. But that in no way OBLIGATES me to do what you say. Nor am I obligated to convince you that my ideas will work. You do not get to vote on my life.

Seriously. Get over yourself. And keep your insulting comments to yourself.

now I am almost afraid to post. first off why do you think your existing tank is bad? permanently mounted tanks have no expiration date like the portable ones do. the worse that could be bad is the rubber hose is rotted under a 30 buck fix. then go to the junk yard and buy a RV stove. I would not try to make the RV a high pressure system. what other appliances are you planning on running off propane? highdesertranger

does lp rust the inside of the tank? i'm thinking something similar to grant,rv exterior tank probably hard lined to a inside stove but quick release hose for mr.buddy and outside use,pro's-exterior out of the way tank cons-if you need lp you got to bring your rig

GrantRobertson said:
Dude! This is completely uncalled for. You should be ashamed of yourself. Just because I don't bow and do whatever you and a couple of others here say with MY RV, does not give you the right to talk to me or anyone else that way. If you have a helpful suggestion, I'm all ears. But that in no way OBLIGATES me to do what you say. Nor am I obligated to convince you that my ideas will work. You do not get to vote on my life.

Seriously. Get over yourself. And keep your insulting comments to yourself.

Sorry Mate  I didn't realize I was insulting you, if you have taken this as an insult, I apologize, I thought I was just summarizing what will likely happen based on my own experience. It is nothing personal just another helpful suggestion, take it or leave it, as you said, I don't have a vote on that. :)

highdesertranger said:
first off why do you think your existing tank is bad? permanently mounted tanks have no expiration date like the portable ones do.

Ahh. I just assumed, or thought I had read that they can go bad. Though, I do suspect pretty bad neglect, and I would feel better if it were checked out. I've also gotta figure out where all the pipes that went into the house go to. They were all cut off at the floor level.

Please do not try to take any shortcuts when dealing with propane.  I agree with HDR on the used RV stove.  You have to start somewhere.

the usual way they plumb the gas is from the tank there is a rubber line that goes into iron pipe. the iron pipe will have tee's off the tee's there will be copper tubing going to each appliance. all the copper tubing will have flared ends, no other ends are permitted. if you need to put a line out of service trace the line back to the iron pipe tee and remove the brass fitting that converts from iron pipe to copper. then plug the tee fitting. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I would not try to make the RV a high pressure system. what other appliances are you planning on running off propane?

What would be the problems in doing so? I can think of some. Tell me if I'm right:

Would require heavier duty pipes and fittings.

These would be non-standard and harder to find, at least at RV dealers. But maybe easier to find at regular hardware stores.

Danger?

The only propane powered things I would plan on using would be the stove, a portable heater, or maybe one of those Wave3 wall mounted things, and an instantaneous water heater (maybe one of those portable units, which I would either vent or mount outside.)

Don't most of the portable heaters require high pressure, just like the portable stoves? I'm guessing the portable, instant water heater requires high pressure too, because it is made to connect to a 20# tank, but I don't know.

It is not that I plan to use unregulated gas at my appliances. I was just thinking it might be easier to regulate for each appliance individually. There will not be a bunch of lines going all over the place, like with regular RVs. Just down one side then across the back, where all the water and gas will be concentrated.

flying kurbmaster said:
Sorry Mate  I didn't realize I was insulting you, if you have taken this as an insult, I apologize, I thought I was just summarizing what will likely happen based on my own experience. It is nothing personal just another helpful suggestion, take it or leave it, as you said, I don't have a vote on that. :)
Apology accepted. But I've got my eye on you.... [emoji12]

B and C said:
Please do not try to take any shortcuts when dealing with propane.  I agree with HDR on the used RV stove.  You have to start somewhere.
I agree. I won't be taking any shortcuts. Though, I may defy convention. I can afford to get a new or new-ish stove-top.

Grant Robinson wrote:

That is a really good idea. Not only can't it slide, but it can't bounce either.

And you are right, I can easily make my own wind screens.

Are these style stoves more likely to be usable with low pressure gas?

I just got home, Christmas shopping & partying and all.
Van_Stove.jpg

I've only used mine with a BBQ Grill tank and the small Green 1 Lb tanks.  I have a brass fitting that screws
into the Grill Tank to refill the 1 Lb tanks.   My stove has the gas feed at the other end where I have a cradle
rigged up so the gas tank can rest in it at the end of the cabinet. (my cooking area is on the left side of the cabinet)

F08G2YGFWKQKK9O.MEDIUM.jpg

I have a 6ft gas hose, more for using with the Mr buddy gas 4/9K btu heater.

I've thought of getting a regulator so I can adapt it to the cook top. 

regulator.jpg

This hose is an earlier type before the BBQ Grill's went to the new
"big thread" valves.  I could run the hose to the cook top where the
1 Lb Tank would screw in with the right fittings.

You may want to look at this guys Blog

http://vandwellersteve.blogspot.com/p/propane-and-water.html

the big Mr. Buddy can run off of high or low pressure. you can run a combination of high and low off the same tank with the correct fittings. however I would be very wary about converting a low pressure RV system into a high pressure system. would you convert a 12v electrical system to 120v. very few of the high pressure portables are actually high pressure the have a built in regulator somewhere. none of the high pressure appliances are approved for use indoors, except for the Mr. buddy. at least as far as I Know. if it was me I would stick with an RV stove and actually I would go with a stove oven combo. ovens are nice. highdesertranger