1st night in my SUV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rvwandering said:
Please don't dump your pee cup onto the street. Not only will you make your sleeping spot very smelly you're sure to get noticed eventually either because of the smell or when somebody spots you.

I appreciate what you're saying, but do you know NYC? A pee smell would hardly be noticed, what with all the dogs that pee on the curbs and sidewalks. Also, businesses are responsible for washing the sidewalks every morning and evening. They put soapy water out, scrub the sidewalk, and push the water into the curb, and the flow eventually goes down a drain. The business on the corner near where I am parked has already washed away my pee with all the other debris that floated away.

When I parked in the suburb, I dumped my pee cup onto the ground, but also moved my spot very early in the mornings after that.

Seems like more and more women are moving into autos.Good luck and please be careful out there.

I put a trifold mattress with an eggcrate topper on the cot and it is super comfy now. I try to keep it cleared so it is always available for me to crawl in for a nap or night's sleep. Rather than playing Twister from the driver's seat, I access it from the passenger door on the driver's side where the seat remains upright. I only have the 5-gallon bucket in that seat so there is room to manuever.

I got a large bowl from the dollar store that fits exactly in the upper portion of my 5-gallon bucket. In the bowl, I keep my collapsable funnel & toilet paper. In the bottom portion of the bucket, I have a small tupper-ware like cereal container with a flip-up lid within its main lid. The funnel end fits into the flip-up lid, so the pee goes into the cereal container, then the flip-up lid snaps tightly shut and stows away in the bottom part of the bucket. It tucks neatly into a tote bag and gets emptied on my next visit to a restroom. No need to pour anything on the ground or street. There is also room in the bottom portion of the bucket for a gallon jug of water, paper towels, and a small bottle of alcohol to clean the funnel and my hands. I use the seat belt to make sure the bucket doesn't shift when I drive, so the contents stay put.

GypsyJan said:
I got a large bowl from the dollar store that fits exactly in the upper portion of my 5-gallon bucket. In the bowl, I keep my collapsable funnel & toilet paper. In the bottom portion of the bucket, I have a small tupper-ware like cereal container with a flip-up lid within its main lid. The funnel end fits into the flip-up lid, so the pee goes into the cereal container, then the flip-up lid snaps tightly shut and stows away in the bottom part of the bucket. 
If there is a picture of this set-up, I would love to see it.

CityWoman -- Thank you posting about all of this, it's really exciting to hear your experiences.  It's wonderful to read your story unfold!

One's of Bob's CRVL videos on YouTube is with a woman who lives/camps in her PRIUS. Her setup is super simple and contained, and she explains how she uses it. She's not a little tiny woman, either.
It's a part of this two 'essentials' video set; worth a watch.

Part 1:
Part 2:

"If there is a picture of this set-up, I would love to see it."

Sorry....I am a dinosaur with a dumb phone....cheap Tracfone....no camera, no internet connection. I plan to get a smart phone in 3.5 years when I go on the road full time as a snow bird. I have to laugh when friends send icons to my phone....all I get are little empty squares.

GypsyJan said:
"If there is a picture of this set-up, I would love to see it."

Sorry....I am a dinosaur with a dumb phone....cheap Tracfone....no camera, no internet connection. I plan to get a smart phone in 3.5 years when I go on the road full time as a snow bird. I have to laugh when friends send icons to my phone....all I get are little empty squares.

Hahaha
Don't feel bad, Jan. I have a smart phone, but it's an Android and most everyone I know has a stupid iPhone. I'm very familiar with those squares, because iPhone emojis don't always translate to Android phones. 

BTW, having an old phone has the added benefit of being safer when it comes to privacy. You're not a dinosaur, you're safety conscious! :)

B and C said:
That is Suanne.  She is part of HOWA and very nice.  She does indeed live in a Prius.

Thank you so much for clearing that up. :)

I haven't been around long enough to know anyone yet.