1st night in my SUV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CityWoman

Reaction score
Not new here but new to van/car dwelling.  So, I bought an SUV.  Tonight's my first night sleeping in it.  Will post more about the car and getting ready another time - I just wanted to mark this night with a post here for my own reference.  I'm stealth parking in a quiet-ish suburban town known for being very safe, and I'm not sure I'll get much sleep tonight. But I'm ready and taking the plunge. Woohoo!

How exciting for you!

If this darn rain lets up I am almost ready to start test sleeping in my yard.

Congrats, you will always remember your first.

So, it was... interesting.  I def need to rearrange some stuff I've got in there, but I do have enough room to stretch out in my sleeping bag, all the way to the back (I'm 5'6").  It was comical trying to slip from front to back without getting out of the car.  And when I say "slip," I mean it.  Leather seats are slippery!

This SUV is the GMC Envoy I wrote about in another thread.  I had it checked out by another mechanic to whom I was recommended, and it needed some tweaks, but is in good shape.  I drove it quite a long distance to get it back home to NYC, and had no issues, but didn't sleep in it during that week because I wanted to try that out in a more familiar area.  Plus, I really just wanted to get used to the vehicle itself and driving, since it had been so long since I'd driven anything. I have a relative who is a travel agent and got me good deals on budget hotels for the trip back.  

Anyway, it has a second row of seats and a flat "cargo" area behind them.  The second row is a "split bench seat" which means I can fold down one seat, one-and-a-half seats, or both seats plus middle section to extend the cargo area to just behind the front seats.  I just folded down one seat, on the passenger side. I think having the other seat still up allows for more storage on the seat and floor in front of it. The long platform created by folding down the one seat was the perfect length for me, albeit a bit narrow - but I fit my squishy mat with sleeping bag on top of it just fine within that space.  I slept with my head just behind the passenger seat, and my feet at the rear liftgate door.

I don't think I can remove the second row seating, as the backs of the seats are attached to the cargo platform behind them, and I don't think that can come out (at least, not easily). Not sure I'd want to, anyway. I'm happy to work with what I've got. I really like this car.

All my back windows are tinted dark - one would have to put their nose to the glass to see inside. Still, I bought blackout fabric to hang up and am working on how to do that. When I parked, I put my window shades across the front windshield, and draped a black blanket across the two front bucket seats for an imperfect kind of barrier, but it did the trick so no one could see me from a front side window (not tinted). I also want to figure out a way to hang some kind of cargo netting to organize things - everything I've got back there is in a bit of a mish-mash right now.

I parked on a dark street, in a suburb that allows overnight street parking in residential areas. I pulled in front of a house that looked unoccupied, but it turns out that it was occupied, because a car pulled out of the driveway this morning. I don't think it was the ideal spot after all, so I will scout for other locations. I have to stay where overnight street parking is allowed - a lot of suburban towns around here do not allow it. I discovered I have the ability to disable the interior lights from turning on when I open a door from the inside, so I did that - it came in handy and made me less nervous, knowing I wouldn't be in the spotlight while getting out and in. I was on a street not far from a 24-hr convenience store, in which I availed myself of their restroom, and a Sbux, where I am right now. This is a nice little town. I'll be spending time parked on NYC streets, too, before I head somewhere warmer in about a month or so.

I have some food with me, and need to buy more, as well as figure out how best to cook/heat stuff in this kind of setup. I loved the trip I made to get back here, which was an adventure. I drove through mountains! But now it's hitting me that I have plunked myself down into a totally different way of living, and I'm actually more disoriented than excited about it, but I'm looking forward to more adventures and navigating this odd new kind of freedom.

Just remember that a period of "buyers" remorse is often experienced with purchases and lifestyle changes too. That can bring with it some dis-ease, anxiety, feelings of regret, feeling a loss of control etc. It is a perfectly normal phase that will pass with the days and weeks. But it can renew itself with some new stress triggering it. Also a perfectly normal thing. So when that feeling hits just remind yourself than it is a phase, not a permanent condition. Those feelings do not necessarily mean you have actually made a big mistake even if for a little while you do feel like that. I have certainly gone through that stage of "what have I done to myself now" a number of times over the years. If you get onto that negative feedback loop just mentally shout or even verbally shout to yourself "stop, enough"

Congratulations! I will warn you, it can be addictive ;) I will be keeping my S&B as a home base for the time being, and I dread going back each time. I just want to stay out on the road. I admire your ability to do this in an SUV.

Enjoy the journey!

Citywoman thank you for sharing and good luck! While I've been "planning" this for some time, there was very little preparation in the sudden onset to my journey. Yet like others said, I have to remind myself the tough moments will pass and look how awesome it is that my home is now on wheels and can go wherever! I have gone thru several purges in the past few weeks as I organize and shape the inside of my minivan to my liking and comfort. Good luck to you!

Thanks, everyone.

I'm not feeling any remorse, regret, nor loss of control.  Not at all.  Since the defining moment came, when I decided to let go of my apartment and stop struggling with the landlord over many issues, I have not felt one smidgen of regret AND my depression just went away.  And, in fact, I feel more in control than I was before.

Sure, I've felt afraid, disoriented, and a little sad over some things I will miss, but nothing like regret at all.  Also, the many miles I've already put on this vehicle, through mountains, desolate roads, down steep declines, and on busy high-speed highways (not to mention getting lost a few times), just to get back home in time to take care of some urgent business -- and the fact that I'm now driving around in NYC, which has its own challenges -- have given me a boost of confidence and the sense that I can do this.  I wouldn't say I'm totally confident, as I'm still a cautious, slow driver, but I'm not feeling inept at driving anymore. The trip home was very exciting.

Now all I need to do is set things up better in the cargo area of the SUV, learn more about maintaining a car ... and figure out where to go!!

Last night was my first night sleeping in the SUV in NYC.  

Oddly enough, I slept better last night than I did in the cozy, quiet suburb of my first two nights.  It could've been due to cumulative fatigue, after two nights in a row of not sleeping much, or familiarity.  I'm parked two blocks from the apartment I left behind and know this neighborhood well.

Normally, I would've had to move the car this morning for the street cleaning truck, but Alternate Side Parking rules are suspended today for Simchas Torah (a Jewish holy day), so I can stay in this parking spot until Friday.  Yay!

I don't think I mentioned that I have some containers with me that need to go into my storage unit in NJ.  I picked them up yesterday and will bring them to storage on Friday.  So, today I'm sorting through some of that stuff and looking at how to arrange the stuff that's staying with me in the car.  Also hope to work on my blackout fabric project.

When I go to the storage unit, I need to pull out some of the blankets I've stored in it, to use for cushioning under my sleeping bag.  What I'm using now isn't optimal.

It sounds like you're really getting the hang of things and settling in! Congratulations!

There are a few videos on YouTube about planning out where to go next. Probably more than a few, but I've only seen a few lol.

Good luck! I'm totally jealous and totally happy for you! :)

Blessings,
Brandy

I, too, have one rear seat remaining upright (in my RAV4) and the other is stowed into the floor, with my cot on top. I hung a shoe-pocket organizer from the headrest on the driver's seat, so it hangs in front of the upright rear seat. It's a great place to store things I need to keep handy (sleep mask, ear plugs, flashlight, kleenex, eye glasses (while I sleep), etc. I had to cut it in half as it was made for the length of a door. I may use the trimmed part in my rear galley later. I like having a cot as it lifts me up nearer the window for ventilation and gives me extra space underneath for storage.

Keep us posted with your progress, please!

Congratulations! Would it be too personal to ask if you have a chemical toilet or camping toilet? I’m trying to figure out how I could use mine even though I’m very short it would be awkward. One thing you could do is buy a telescoping shower curtain rod ( they sell them at WalMart) and a dark curtain and hang it behind your front seats. That will block people walking by seeing into your backseats. You can also take it down when you want. They sell warm sleeping bags at Walmart too. I love their camping and automotive sections! You can also buy ( I’m blanking as usual) those stretchy bands with hooks at the end to put on those handles for people to grip while you drive and hang things on them like clothes or whatever. They’re nice because two or three connected stretch across your car.
Anyway it sounds like you made it and are doing well!!

GypsyJan said:
I like having a cot as it lifts me up nearer the window for ventilation and gives me extra space underneath for storage.

Thanks for reminding me about a cot. I was thinking of getting one and had researched them, but forgot about that. There is one I know I wanted.

LERCA said:
Would it be too personal to ask if you have a chemical toilet or camping toilet? I’m trying to figure out how I could use mine even though I’m very short it would be awkward.

Not too personal - I knew someone would ask, since I didn't mention it.

Ok, so remember that I'm staying in a big city or a suburb. Plenty of bathrooms around. Sbux, other coffee places, diners, restaurants, convenience stores, etc. At this point, I don't have any kind of portable toilet with me in my car. I was going to buy a bucket, but when I checked them out in stores, they looked very tall and I couldn't imagine how nor where I'd position one in this particular SUV.

So, I'm using public restrooms as much as I can. From where I'm parked right now in NYC, I've got about eight bathrooms to choose from. There are three Sbux within two blocks' walking distance, for example. Most open early, like 6am, and close at 10pm or 11pm.

So I poop in one of those places. I do have a pee cup (a giant drinking cup from a Quick Chek) in the car for urgent bladder relief that won't wait. I just get on my knees and hold it to my body. I then immediately open a door, carefully dump it out onto the street (first making sure no one's walking by at that moment) and wipe out the cup. Used paper goes into the garbage can on the corner.

For bathing, I do have a collapsible sink, portable shower, microfiber towel, and body wipes.
It's only been a few days since I started sleeping in the car, so I'm working on how best to do it. I've brushed my teeth both in public restrooms and in the car (rinse with bottled water, open the door, and spit into the curb when no one's around). Most New Yorkers don't care, as long as they're not affected. In the 'burbs, I need to be more careful.

This Envoy may be an SUV with a fair amount of cargo space, but it isn't a long car like a Suburban - so it's a bit cramped. I will have to fine-tune utilizing the space as I keep staying in it and start traveling a bit.

Please don't dump your pee cup onto the street. Not only will you make your sleeping spot very smelly you're sure to get noticed eventually either because of the smell or when somebody spots you. Get a container with a leak-proof top than take it into the restroom the next time you go and dump it in the toilet.