1989 Dodge B150 Shorty

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamjam1

Reaction score
I thought I'd post here about my build. I had three goals in mind when I built it up:
1. It had to be light
2. It had to be easily broken down and removed for when I upgrade and turn this van back into a regular passenger van.
3. It had to be somewhat strong.

This where I started.
eulkev.jpg

The frame is made out of 15/32 sanded plywood with 2x2 redwood. I used "L" brackets to secure it at all points. I used insta-foam to seal each compartment from another. the top is also 15/32 sanded plywood and is coated with marine Spar-Varnish I used a 80ah 12v battery and inverter.
25fqdeb.jpg

View of rear compartment.
28apd29.jpg

forward compartment and carpet.
2zf011h.jpg

Middle storage
154kgad.jpg

Everything bolted down and power hooked up.
5tz1nl.jpg

There is enough room back there for all sorts of stuff!
10pq7t1.jpg

Looks great!

One note: The reflectix in the windows is a huge advertisement to everyone that you are camping in the van, or have things worth stealing in the van. I would suggest having something between the reflectix and the glass (cheap fabric?) so the metallic look is disguised.

Van-Tramp said:
Looks great!

One note: The reflectix in the windows is a huge advertisement to everyone that you are camping in the van, or have things worth stealing in the van. I would suggest having something between the reflectix and the glass (cheap fabric?) so the metallic look is disguised.

Yes since I took those pics I painted the outfacing side of the reflectix flat black and through the factory tinted windows it really hard to tell its insulation.

I see a mattress and storage facilities but I don't see any bathroom, cooking, refrigerating facilities???

PastTense said:
I see a mattress and storage facilities but I don't see any bathroom, cooking, refrigerating facilities???

Don't have a bathroom. Small 12V thermal electric cooler under bed. Cooking is handled by a Soviet Union era Bumble-Bee gasoline stove. Several mess kits, and for hygiene, 2 small buckets with 5 gallons of water stored in the back.

steamjam,

I really like the economy of space here. It's simple and very functional. Really good job. Personally, I'd need a porta, but everyone to their own. My Dodge is a shorty as well, but a cargo van. So I very much appreciate seeing what you've done. I'm six months in and now that I've had some time in her, I'm thinking of redesign to something more simple. Thanks for the ideas!

PastTense,

I don't know if 'crazy' is the right word. Personally, I like kerosene for my fuel, when I'm not on 12V. Gas isn't too much different. I think Propane is dangerous because it is so explosive, but lots of people use it. Each to their own.

PastTense said:
A gasoline stove is crazy--too dangerous.

Its not any more dangerous then using a Naphtha fuel stove (Coleman fuel) or a compressed gas stove. There is technique involved in using it, and you should use it with a window or two cracked open like with any stove.... but it gives off no more smelly fumes as does my Coleman 533 stove when started, and used correctly.

Old Soviet Union gas stoves are cranky and finicky. But once you learn how to use them in that "special finesse like touch" way... They will usually outlast its OWNER..

angeli said:
steamjam,

I really like the economy of space here. It's simple and very functional. Really good job. Personally, I'd need a porta, but everyone to their own. My Dodge is a shorty as well, but a cargo van. So I very much appreciate seeing what you've done. I'm six months in and now that I've had some time in her, I'm thinking of redesign to something more simple. Thanks for the ideas!

PastTense,

I don't know if 'crazy' is the right word. Personally, I like kerosene for my fuel, when I'm not on 12V. Gas isn't too much different. I think Propane is dangerous because it is so explosive, but lots of people use it. Each to their own.

Thank you! When I was designing the interior the overriding idea behind everything was "LESS = MORE". Keep everything low and out of the way. Keep everything out of site, and keep building materials cheap and common to any hardware store. It had to be as light as possible, yet be strong enough to hold two people should it need too.
I also carry a really small Kerosene stove just in case. I also agree on the explosive dangers of propane.

I'm near a month into van dwelling, and there are a couple of modifications that I think I am going to make next month:

1. I am going to expand the battery capacity to 160ah and double the inverter to 2000 watts.

2. I've already changed the 110v car battery charger to something alittle less primitive, and to add to that I am going to expand the solar charger with another panel that will add another 50 watts.

3. Water. I cut it in half. I carry only 5 gallons of potable and 2 gallons of drinking water instead of 10 gallons potable and 4 drinking.

4. More interior LED's. I replaced the dome light bulbs with LED's and I can't say enough good things about them.

f-fing beauty, looking at your build makes me wish I had some wood working skills or tools, very nice, and I love the shortys! my only quam is the gas milage, but ya know I heard of a guy who put a blower on his just for fuel economy... though like thats a pretty big investment...

Blue said:
f-fing beauty, looking at your build makes me wish I had some wood working skills or tools, very nice, and I love the shortys! my only quam is the gas milage, but ya know I heard of a guy who put a blower on his just for fuel economy... though like thats a pretty big investment...

Thanks!

Wow I can't believe its already been nearly 7 months since I started van dwelling. The interior I built works great. Here are some of the things I've learnt so far:

a. I hate industrial air conditioners. The background hum noise they make drives me spare when I'm trying to sleep at night.

b. Spend the extra money and get a better van from the get-go. The first 48 hours of living in this van would have been alot less stressful if I had a better van that didn't break down on me. But to be fair, the vans been totally reliable since then.

c. Be organized. I am routinely shocked at how easily you can lose things in such a small space like a van. I can't seem to keep track of my digital camera for more then 10 minutes at a time.

d. If your not a morning person, you will be in short order.

e. Don't get pissed off at your lot in life. You'll meet a girl and when she asks you where you live, you won't be so apt to say "I live in a freaking rape-van parked next to a ditch in the middle of a forest." What you say may be factually accurate, but the spin you put on it may be a no-go for the ladies and you'll never see her again. (true story)

I like what you did with your van. I have an '85 Shorty and am thinking of taking a similar approach.

Welcome to the forums Frankie! Since this thread is a few months old you may want to introduce yourself on the Newcomer's Corner. Tell us a little about yourself and what you'd like to do with your van.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

steamjam1 said:
3. Water. I cut it in half. I carry only 5 gallons of potable and 2 gallons of drinking water instead of 10 gallons potable and 4 drinking.

"Potable" IS 'drinking' water. Same thing.
Do you mean 'non-potable', as in for cleaning/sanitation duties only?

A lot of people get potable water for all cleaning purposes and for the dog, and then get purified water for drinking only.

The issue being its taste, not its safety.

Many areas have bad tasting water even though it is perfectly safe to drink. That's particularly true here in the desert southwest.
Bob

My first van was an '89 Dodge B150. I bought it from Cornell University in a silent auction for $875. It had about 50k miles. I lived in it for several months next to Washington, DC. I couldn't get more than 14 mpg going downhill with a tail wind. I had a little office couch in it to sleep and a bucket and cooler. I saved a bundle living in it! But, I really would have liked to stand up in it, which I couldn't.

Well its been a while, folks. The good 'ol B150 shorty has been through some changes!

Before:

[img=500x445]http://oi61.tinypic.com/adp43q.jpg[/img]

After:

[img=500x357]http://oi63.tinypic.com/qn4sj4.jpg[/img]
Its now a "Van Charger" 3/4 ton 4x4! It has 160AH in batteries, a 100watt solar panel, an off road roof rack, and more bits and pieces I've modified or replaced then I can remember!
Its too bad tho, About a week after I got this done and road worthy I bought a Ford Class B RV to live in...