1989 Dodge B150 Shorty

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had to look that up and the chevys had a quasi subframe/frame setup until the 90's when they went full frame,they had frame rails welded on with a bolted on front subframe heres a pic of an"early" chevy on a rotisserie

rotisarypicture1.jpg

the forum its from
http://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/348739/all/Frame_off

did not know that

Gary68 said:
had to look that up and the chevys had a quasi subframe/frame setup until the 90's when they went full frame,they had frame rails welded on with a bolted on front subframe heres a pic of an"early" chevy on a rotisserie

rotisarypicture1.jpg

the forum its from
http://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/348739/all/Frame_off

did not know that

Yes. That is still a uni-chassis design. Dodge had the same thing. If the frame cannot be unbolted from the body as a complete unit, its a uni-chassis. They have their advantages. they have their disadvantages.

steamjam1 said:
And that is what my other thread about the Ford Econoline 4x4 is about. It's going to turn into a long long thread because I am going to go into detail with pics, and youtube videos on the process of a 4x4 van conversion. I am even going to show what tools I used, where I got them, where I got the parts, how much I spent. etc etc. And I am going to do it while OFF GRID. Thats right. I am only going to use generators/solar for power. That being said I understand that this forum is about cheap RV/Van living, NOT a hot-rod-van how too forum, but I believe that cheap 4x4 van conversions fit right into the idea that you don't have to spend a ton of cash to get what you want IF you do the homework and be creative.

That's wonderful, I can't wait to see it! You guys truly are artists with steel, nuts and bolts. Everyone loves to watch artists at work!
Bob

highdesertranger said:
I am beating a dead horse here.    go ahead convert your vans to 4wd.  this is like putting a motor on a bicycle,  just buy a motorcycle.  converting a 3 wheeler to a 4 wheeler,  just buy a 4 wheeler.  but even if you convert these they are not your everyday driver.  I can see converting vans to live in and I can see converting cargo trailers,  I can even see building your own camper.  I can see all of this because it doesn't effect your basic drivetrain.  when you start changing your chassis components to custom made parts you are asking for trouble.  are you going to carry a welder?  what are you going to tell the cops when you get into an accident and your non factory steering parts failed?  if you want 4wd buy a 4wd.  your primary vehicle is no place for a custom ride.  if you want to have a second vehicle as a custom ride go for it.  this is the last I will say on this.  well until a couple months go by and someone else wants to convert their van to 4wd.  highdesertranger

Ha,  beating that dead horse might  not be for nothing...........you have me seriously questioning my needs/desire/reliabilitiy of a 4wd Van.  Sportsmobile claims that 98% of their vans are used as daily drivers.  I'd seriously question the accuracy of that statement, but a lot of research on the different forums seems to be a 50/50 equal split of people that own them and either love or hate them for various reasons.  

I have driven a 2wd van through all the lower 48 States and enjoyed it immensely with out needing to go where 2wd couldn't get me and I've driven through about 25 states in a 4wd Jeep wranger and went plenty of places only 4wd could get me and enjoyed it immensely.  Seemed combining the two would be the best of both worlds, but may also end up being the worst of both worlds as well.

If I won $100,000 in the lottery, I would own a 4wd Sportsmobile in a heartbeat. And never let it go! (Of course I'd buy a used one and put the rest of the money in savings).
Bob

Every Road Leads Home said:
Ha,  beating that dead horse might  not be for nothing...........you have me seriously questioning my needs/desire/reliabilitiy of a 4wd Van.  Sportsmobile claims that 98% of their vans are used as daily drivers.  I'd seriously question the accuracy of that statement, but a lot of research on the different forums seems to be a 50/50 equal split of people that own them and either love or hate them for various reasons.  

I have driven a 2wd van through all the lower 48 States and enjoyed it immensely with out needing to go where 2wd couldn't get me and I've driven through about 25 states in a 4wd Jeep wranger and went plenty of places only 4wd could get me and enjoyed it immensely.  Seemed combining the two would be the best of both worlds, but may also end up being the worst of both worlds as well.

Well its a good thing I plan to drive my 4x4 econo-econoline most of the way around the world. It'll prove it can be reliable if you think through your conversion.

akrvbob said:
If I won $100,000 in the lottery, I would own a  4wd Sportsmobile in a heartbeat. And never let it go! (Of course I'd buy a used one and put the rest of the money in savings).
Bob

Ditto that, Brah! Cept Id forget the Sportsmobile, spend 25K on creating THE most badass Econoline possible, then spend the rest exploring the world in it!

akrvbob said:
If I won $100,000 in the lottery, I would own a 4wd Sportsmobile in a heartbeat. And never let it go! (Of course I'd buy a used one and put the rest of the money in savings).
Bob

And then what would you do? Disappear into the wilderness? [emoji3]. No more RTR unless you come in walking with a backpack!

And which chassis would you have your Sportsmobile built on?

akrvbob said:
Depends on what is available. The Chevy Express with 5.3 is first choice. Dodge next and Ford last.
Bob

I did a Chevy G30 4x4 conversion a while back. It wasn't that tough compared to the Dodge. Didn't Chevy make a 4x4 version of the Express? I can't wait to get started on a Ford conversion.

steamjam1 said:
Didn't Chevy make a 4x4 version of the Express? I can't wait to get started on a Ford conversion.

There was an AWD half ton for most of the years and I think the 3/4 ton was available with AWD for 1 year.

It's been just about a year since I last touched my B150 4x4.. She started right up after a little battery charging. I dug it out of the woods, and put her back on the concrete pad in preparation for a journey to the 'rents house to complete its restoration. (170 miles). Shes dirty, has pine needs all over the roof, (It looks like its got rust in the roof rails from this pic, but its just pine needles..) has moss growing on the quarters, but she hasn't leaked any water through the windows or doors. She's a good old van.. :)

2nkub1g.jpg