1986 Chevy Camper Van/ Motor Home

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teressa G

Reaction score
  :blush: I just learned of a 1986 Chevy Camper Van (seller calls it a Class B motor Home) for sale. It has 86,000 miles but doesn't look rusted. (In ohio everything is rusted). Anyway, it has A/C, kitchen, small bath, fold out bed/couch, furnace...The interior looks really dated though I haven't really looked at it too close as yet. I was wondering if 1.) anyone had an opinion about this year/ model of camper van and 2.) If I wanted to try to refurbish it would I have a hard time finding parts or replacement fixtures? And, if they are available are they "cost-prohibitive"?  The sells said he wants $4,500 for the van.  I'm just excited to find something I can afford but that too may be way off base. What does everyone think?  I'm a woman so often times I don't have access to bargins or valuable information. Thanks you your advise in advance!  

:D

I recently bought a 1978 Ford camper van. It has a new engine and new tires. It is what I can afford right now and meets my needs as to headroom, storage, and bed, definitely not perfect but I absolutely love it. I can't offer advice but wanted you to know I think it is exciting you are on the hunt and I hope you find exactly what will be great for you. Keep us posted and good luck.

We'd need a manufacture and model, plus engine size would be nice.  Lots of things it might be from what you posted, so it's hard to say much.  Interior is just wood and fabric, easy to replace if the house and chassis are good.  

Pictures would help a whole lot.

Corky

Parts and service are basically for a Chevy van so that will never be a problem, nearly every mechanic can work on it and parts are readily available.

With the RV stuff, there are basically just a few makers of each product and they have been around a long time. So if the RV parts fail, it can easily be replaced with new versions. Fixing the old one is iffy, parts are so over-priced that often a whole new unit will be less or not much more.

Be sure to get it checked out by a mechainc and if it is basically sound take the price of needed work off the $4500. If it doesn't need much, offer him $3000 and be willing to pay $3500 or $4000.
Bob

It's all supply and demand, if it's the only one around he can charge whatever he wants.

Hope it's not this:   :D
00303_dOA9LG5hZHB_600x450.jpg

The 70's and 80's van are some of the most reliable ever made.

Get it inspected and be very conscious of any possible mold issues.

akrvbob said:
Parts and service are basically for a Chevy van so that will never be a problem, nearly every mechanic can work on it and parts are readily available.

With the RV stuff, there are basically just a few makers of each product and they have been around a long time. So if the RV parts fail, it can easily be replaced with new versions. Fixing the old one is iffy, parts are so over-priced that often a whole new unit will be less or not much more.

Be sure to get it checked out by a mechainc and if it is basically sound take the price of needed work off the $4500. If it doesn't need much, offer him $3000 and be willing to pay $3500 or $4000.
Bob

It's all supply and demand, if it's the only one around he can charge whatever he wants.

Thanks everyone for your responses....I looked at the van a little closer today. It is a 1986 Chevy Champion Transvan.  I liked it and the inside is livable but I'd rather rework it (just my quirk) What  did notice his how little storage it has, and I think it needs a paint job. The bed is a novelty and size of the vehicle is great so it's a dilemma.  The owner said to me a few times he won't take less than $4,500 so all in all, might not be a smart move at that price...paint job & all...

So,  I think if anything it's given me some guidance because I really like this type of RV but an I internet search didn't bring up much, no other available models but then again, maybe I just don't know where to search...Any ideas?

There can be a TON of hidden issues with something like that, have it checked out, mold, rust, and rot can be a huge concern. The price, unless it's stored inside, low miles pristine, is far too high, Bob had solid advice though I would offer even less.

Also, women have the same access to bargains and information as men unless you know of some secret club they haven't offered me a membership to yet /:

I hear you on the lack of storage in the commercially built conversion vans. Any I looked at had the same problem and I figured the first thing I'd be doing is ripping out a lot of the interior and starting over.

Then I realized that I was going to be paying for all that stuff I didn't like and would be removing anyways.

I bought an empty van and can do with it what I like.

The only thing I would insist on finding is one with the high top already on it. They're so expensive to have put on unless you know 4 strong young men and can find the topper you want in a scrap yard.... :D

Yes, it's a lot of work, but in the end you get what you want.

Man, those Transvan are nice. There aren't that many of these Class B's available anywhere for that price. Once in a while they will pop up on Craigslist and if it's in decent condition, it will sell fast. There are lots of amenities that are hit or miss, but worth it usually for the stuff that works. Mold, rust, peeling paint, etc., well that's expected in an almost 30 year old vehicle. Building something with all of that stuff well laid out, takes way more time & money. The cheapest paintjob for a van this size is probably going to be $1500 from Maaco that they will only warranty the paint for 2 years, but it won't even look that great on day 1. $5000-6000 is for a good paintjob so nobody is going to repaint an old van. In general, you'll only get a used van with decent paint in something less than 10 years old = 2005 and up, which is like $15000+ for a Class B.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airstream-C...em567254b772&item=371285342066&pt=RVs_Campers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COACHMEN-CA...tr=true&hash=item4d2f845844&item=331509684292

Latest posts