1968 Fiber-Top camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got all the stringers done now and $1100 later in spray insulation it's sealed up. For the unfilled cavities I filled them up with Certainteed blow in insulation. Sat there and picked it apart like cotton and gently laid it in till it filled. Somehow after I put new stringers in I raised the whole interior height a inch and half/ Now it's times to run few wires and start putting in floor for bedroom and the living room. then onward with cabinetry for bedroom and kitchen.

Attachments

• KIMG0538.JPG
    KIMG0538.JPG
    969.9 KB · Views: 11
  • KIMG0539.JPG
    KIMG0539.JPG
    630.9 KB · Views: 8
  • KIMG0540.JPG
    KIMG0540.JPG
    812.4 KB · Views: 15
  • KIMG0542.JPG
    KIMG0542.JPG
    897.7 KB · Views: 10
  • KIMG0544.JPG
    KIMG0544.JPG
    803.1 KB · Views: 16
holy cow nice job. was that 1,100 bucks just for the spray insulation or the whole job? highdesertranger

Did you do the spray in insulation yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highdesertranger said:
holy cow nice job.  was that 1,100 bucks just for the spray insulation or the whole job?   highdesertranger
Just for the spray insulation, just for 210 board feet kit was $360. The reason it's so expensive is I went with closed cell to prevent water intrusion unlike open cell, plus more R value per inch as the inches are limited.
B and C said:
Making great progress.  It should last many more years.
Thanks, I sure hope so, after all the previous insulation was 51 years old and wasn't doing too bad.
Cammalu said:
Did you do the spray in insulation yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep everything you see I do myself here plus good luck finding anyone to do it for you without paying pretty penny especially being out in the country from society. If you ever do it yourself I will say from experience, don't use the cone tip for a RV  as it wasted more than anything, fan tip only, anything over 75 degrees is best temp to spray in, wear P100 rated mask,  and wear disposable clothing. You can spray and in 5 minutes its rock hard, but let it off gas at least 48 hrs. before living in the place.

Did you rent the equipment to spray it?

Cammalu said:
Did you rent the equipment to spray it?

Nope it came with the hoses the nozzles and the gun in the price that is all disposable. Just buy yourself some petroleum jelly as the little packet that comes with it isn't enough. As I said in previous post and will say, make sure to just use the fan nozzle, it's blue one. No formaldehyde in it and as person with RAD reactive airway disease from war I can attest it's safe to use after it cures and off gases as I check everything I have put in the camper rebuilding it including the glue I used on the fir strips. Also can attest it doesn't smell after all is done cause I can smell very well to point I have to wash my clothes in no perfume detergents and can smell other peoples washing detergent as they get closer to me.
There is cheaper insulation kits out there but, you have to question yourself, is it worth my health for few bucks. DOW makes great products and I trust them the most.

Glad to keep getting reports. Miss seeing it in PA

Firtree said:
Glad to keep getting reports. Miss seeing it in PA

Don't worry if you want to see it again it will be back next month sometime. Won't be in same spot but will be on the Olympic Peninsula somewhere I can find a spot for the couple of months I will be there wrapping things up.

Welderman, is that where you're from? I was just curious as I'm over in Idaho, just out of Spokane.

One of many places I am from as veteran I have lived in many areas in this country and other countries. Originally from Texas and now in Montana as I hope this is my last place to call home...

Not the best pictures but, here they are... Was banging my head for few days trying to figure out how to make cabinets match inside of the camper had few ideas but this one stuck out the best.
Here is before and after two of the cabinet faces for the ones going under the bed, will get more pictures of more work done tomorrow whenever thunderstorms don't just pop up randomly. Figure this will match the green and black camper paint scheme going on.

Attachments

• KIMG0563.JPG
    KIMG0563.JPG
    591.2 KB · Views: 8
  • KIMG0564.JPG
    KIMG0564.JPG
    455.9 KB · Views: 12
Time for some polyurethane...

Attachments

• KIMG0565.JPG
    KIMG0565.JPG
    596.4 KB · Views: 2
  • KIMG0566.JPG
    KIMG0566.JPG
    661.1 KB · Views: 5
Weldman are you planning on using oil based or water based? be sure to post the results. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Weldman are you planning on using oil based or water based?  be sure to post the results.  highdesertranger

Water based for it along with the stain that was used. Didn't come out as I wanted due to being 80 plus degrees outside and it drying up before I could get it on but you can't tell unless you stare at it awhile. Here is the final results of that piece, I will get more when all pieces are assembled to show what I'm building

Attachments

• IMG_20190626_163436.jpg
    IMG_20190626_163436.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 7
Feel like I'm talking to the wall sometimes on these posts, anywho time for brief commercial break time to put in some wiring before I start putting in cabinets and floor in some areas. For temporary holding I  ran cable ties through foam insulation until I put the interior paneling in, and no it's not Romex :p

Attachments

• KIMG0570.JPG
    KIMG0570.JPG
    393.3 KB · Views: 9
  • KIMG0571.JPG
    KIMG0571.JPG
    418.6 KB · Views: 10
I think a lot of us are just following along. You scribble on the wall and we peruse it:)

Seems you're doing a bangup job.

Thanks, well since everyone is following along lets see if we can get a crowd wave going with all the followers, Ill start first...
.....................[size=x-large]...[size=large]...[size=medium]...[size=small]...[size=x-small]...[size=xx-small]...[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]