1968 Fiber-Top camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may already be aware and the pattern on the plywood may be intentional, I think it looks uniquely cool, but you can prep the wood so that the contrast between the grains isn't as great. Won't be able to get it as dark though. It almost looks like camo as you have it.

I used that Kreg jig today...it is pretty handy. I like it.

B and C said:
Whiskey man myself, TX my favorite served neat.
Like my Bookers here at 128 proof or more, hits hard and straight to the point...
MaTaLa said:
You may already be aware and the pattern on the plywood may be intentional, I think it looks uniquely cool, but you can prep the wood so that the contrast between the grains isn't as great. Won't be able to get it as dark though. It almost looks like camo as you have it.

I used that Kreg jig today...it is pretty handy. I like it.

I wanted it that dark and contrast of colors to match the black on the camper windows, doors, and access doors while matching the green to the camper.
Glad you broke the Kreg jig out, makes life easier and the results look a lot better plus less use of wood to shave weight.

Attachments

• KIMG0582.JPG
    KIMG0582.JPG
    386.6 KB · Views: 6
Now back to current program after that nice commercial break...
Got the bed/kitchen pedestal/cabinet installed and place to install the diesel heater. I used construction adhesive on all joints besides just the pocket hole screws to assemble it. Loctite PL is the adhesive what I used and is Greenhouse seal approved for air quality that is safe around places that have kids.
Don't use Kreg screws they are junk, I found construction screws that have not just puling power but shear strength too that of nails. Take a Kreg screw and drill it in till about quarter inch sticks out then take hammer and hit it sideways on the head and watch it snap off, repeat experiment with construction screw and watch it bend, that is sheer strength.
First two pictures of the last piece going in,next two pictures is of the cabinets for kitchen beneath the bed pedestal as I call it and on right hand side is area where diesel heater will go and I will insulate that box later on where the access door that can be opened from outside is at in 4th picture.
Last picture is of it assembled and there will be cabinet above the fridge/freezer accessed from under the bed for rare access such as winter blankets and winter clothes plus extra bedding, there will be cabinets on each side of the bed that can now run from front to back instead of side to side and there will be a 1x4 going along the edge to prevent the mattress from sliding off. The corners and ends of all plywood pieces have be rounded over with router, so no sharp corners.
Lastly there will be a second fridge/freezer to be on right side of the one pictured, one for freezer one for fridge, yes it will be about 10 amps of pulling power, but will eventually get enough solar for it, in mean time freeze bottles of water for ice in the ice chest to act as fridge and rotate them as they defrost.

Attachments

• KIMG0574.JPG
    KIMG0574.JPG
    894.1 KB · Views: 19
  • KIMG0575.JPG
    KIMG0575.JPG
    491.7 KB · Views: 21
  • KIMG0577.JPG
    KIMG0577.JPG
    482 KB · Views: 15
  • KIMG0578.JPG
    KIMG0578.JPG
    407.2 KB · Views: 14
  • KIMG0583.JPG
    KIMG0583.JPG
    907.7 KB · Views: 25
Alright don't mind the mess living in here while doing this work, though got the bed put in as everyone can see the pedestal built in last post.  I decided to add storage on each side now the bed is going from front to back since there is room now. One of the boards cupped on me so I had to take two speed squares some welding claims and clamp it flat while I assembled it and the glue dried with screws to hold it. Will get a ladder that you use to get in and out of boat that collapses to help with getting in the bed, I'm tall and manage it no problem but my partner almost foot shorter has problems.
Dodging hail stones, thunderstorms and temps in the 90's with no AC makes this interesting.  Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• KIMG0587.JPG
    KIMG0587.JPG
    588.1 KB · Views: 9
  • KIMG0603.JPG
    KIMG0603.JPG
    540.2 KB · Views: 8
  • KIMG0605.JPG
    KIMG0605.JPG
    584 KB · Views: 8
  • KIMG0613.JPG
    KIMG0613.JPG
    512.3 KB · Views: 15
  • KIMG0614.JPG
    KIMG0614.JPG
    551.7 KB · Views: 18
  • KIMG0619.JPG
    KIMG0619.JPG
    512.1 KB · Views: 15
Carla618 said:
Looks good, Weldman. You got a lot done. That's a big job, too.

Thanks, I have been stopped past month due to taking it on the road took little vacation then broke my hand two weeks ago so all is stopped now...

It will, I’m already back at it while it’s still healing, I can’t mull around too long.

What a crazy awesome build! The wood work/stain/paint you did looks sharp for the space. Now I understand how you have so much real estate for the solar, criminy! Really unique, your Quasimodo - and I hope the hand is healing quickly and y'all are back on the road again. Can't wait to see the end result of all of your hard work.

Thanks and to think I have had this for a year now and how far it has come is mind blowing. Hand is healed just sore I think I don’t feel much. I will post some new pictures of the solar system build I been working on past couple weeks off and on.

Alright here is the 10.5’ long aluminum solar racks I built in the first few pictures, work in progress... Each panel is wired series/parallel in 3 strings per rack that go to bus bar which negative and positive are in separate boxes to prevent arcing from moisture or whatever. Which then run at 24v through two 50’ 8 awg fused marine wire per rack.

Attachments

• 289C48F8-15CD-4F38-A076-606F47D67A61.jpeg
    289C48F8-15CD-4F38-A076-606F47D67A61.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 7FFBC635-E7FA-4CA8-901D-051A60BC66E2.jpeg
    7FFBC635-E7FA-4CA8-901D-051A60BC66E2.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 7
  • C5B7D919-4B58-40AA-8D9D-3C3B2FAA1D07.jpeg
    C5B7D919-4B58-40AA-8D9D-3C3B2FAA1D07.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 6
  • ADA78E46-967A-485B-A905-D7FCE45BADAB.jpeg
    ADA78E46-967A-485B-A905-D7FCE45BADAB.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 7
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Last picture is what I have now that will join the 8 other panels when I get all the racks done.[/font]

Attachments

• 4289509C-B19D-4DCE-9FAE-EF21D8BC4DFB.jpeg
    4289509C-B19D-4DCE-9FAE-EF21D8BC4DFB.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 6
I am impressed with how much you're getting done and how you're doing it, my friend.

Quasimoto lives!!

Thanks, hows life out on the road for you? I moved few miles up the road from where I was a day ago and now have a barn to do some projects in for few weeks. Time to commence to getting things done again, let the ass kicking begin! First the solar system rebuild.
Funny I started off with two used GC batteries no solar system and a generator back in April and have made it this far across the US and back and built what I have done.

I spent the first 2 months by myself, intentionally, in the North New Mexico mountains area and fell in love with it.

Other than a loose connection from a bad crimp and other minor tweaks the rig has been better than I deserve.

In Oak Flat campground Superior AZ, just East of Phoenix at the moment and intend try to stay reasonably cool elevation and meander West as winter nears. 

I have spent 2 months in solitude and am ready to be around some kindred spirits. 

Are you wintering in PNW?

I sort of have done same thing for 3 months except with my partner just by being home at my property in MT. I am and I'm not if that makes sense, around December I shall run south unless something changes between now and then and I leave earlier. Not my favorite choice but it's extra income, at least I know if I go insane from rain I can flee and that helps.
Thought about checking NM out for the Earthships in Taos though seems I might miss that since snow will hit there soon.
According to ABYC codes on crimping, here is a chart on page 59 on what it should be able to hold in pounds per wire size. Yep I'm technical like that.

Alright bit of information I like to share with community about solar that will help others who find this post buried deep down with dust collecting on it.
Most all MPPT controllers will want to see a minimum of 130% of the actual high battery voltage. So if we have a 48v battery and it has an Equalize voltage of 62.3 volts than we would multiply that by 130% and we would need a minimum of 81 volts on the input on the hottest day of the year in order to have enough headroom for the MPPT to work.