1968 Fiber-Top camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder how that would pan out with foam mattress be afraid it would fall through the slats though great concept to built ideas off of.  Another idea would be like a tailgate on truck idea and when locked in up position it would hold the mattress out the way and instead of drop legs that would require very little floor space that is much needed, use some cables like on truck tailgate suspend the overhang from the ceiling.

Anyone got any suggestions of a name for this rig? Needs a name, I though about Blue but it's going to be green one day so that won't work. Replacing the stringers in the floor that are about 51 years old wood in there, here is somewhat example of one. Haven't decided to do all at once or one at time to maintain structural integrity while doing it. Amazing what you can do with a one foot speed square, two welding clamps and circular saw in place of table saw to rip stringers. Took a few hours to chisel all the construction adhesive out of one of them, that was fun.

Attachments

• KIMG0405.JPG
    KIMG0405.JPG
    505.2 KB · Views: 12
  • KIMG0411.JPG
    KIMG0411.JPG
    482.5 KB · Views: 12
  • KIMG0410.JPG
    KIMG0410.JPG
    476.2 KB · Views: 12
Eh need something more robust/strong though good idea.

I think you will come up with a name on your own. Mine got its' name from the drive home when I bought it. The front end was so loose I had to fight to keep it in its' lane. It was a beast to drive. Drives ton's better after an all new front end was put under it.

B and C said:
I think you will come up with a name on your own.  Mine got its' name from the drive home when I bought it.  The front end was so loose I had to fight to keep it in its' lane.  It was a beast to drive.  Drives ton's better after an all new front end was put under it.

I probably will though I have thought about call it the "Ex wife" cause it can be a b#@* sometimes when shifting to 1st and 2nd and noisy in the cab :p  One good crosswind away from an accident when you got bad front end.

routeforty said:
How about Fiberman?  Weldman"s Fiber Cave?  Fibermobile?

Don't want to sound like it's all mine though Fibermobile sort of works though being only half of the whole rig is fiberglass really doesn't stick. The final hour is approaching folks getting ready to embark with this thing not finished up into the mountains. All I can say is good luck to myself and God speed ahead... *drops mic*

It looks neat and purposeful sat up on that truck, and the deck adds that extra touch.

AeroNautiCal said:
It looks neat and purposeful sat up on that truck, and the deck adds that extra touch.

Thanks and it has been handy on that deck since I've gotten out here. No internet or cell phone service just me and the trees.

Anyone know what these random plywood pieces are for? They are "fiberglass" in to the wall in random places of the cab over camper, yet are rotting from age of 51 years and I want to replace them if needed or toss them since they aren't needing.

Attachments

• KIMG0420.JPG
    KIMG0420.JPG
    487.7 KB · Views: 15
  • KIMG0421.JPG
    KIMG0421.JPG
    509.3 KB · Views: 11
They look like mounting points for cabinets and such to me. Could also be used for attachment point for stuff mounted to the outside as fiberglass by itself is not good to mount to. Oy could also be stiffiners for the fiberglass to make it stronger.

B and C said:
They look like mounting points for cabinets and such to me.  Could also be used for attachment point for stuff mounted to the outside as fiberglass by itself is not good to mount to.  Oy could also be stiffiners for the fiberglass to make it stronger.

That's what my thinking was it's stiffeners for the fiberglass to make it stronger. Guess I will chisel them out and fiberglass some new ones back in, though looks to take a lot of room up for insulation. Might restructure it to stiffen the wall yet work as wall studs.

B and C said:
Be sure to put some where you can attach cabinets to them.

Sounds like a good idea though thought about putting in aluminum plates to not take so much wall cavity up in the places I don't need them for cabinets.

Snow!!! Wait what?

Attachments

• IMG_20190307_073007.jpg
    IMG_20190307_073007.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Got rid of the roll up doors that originally came with the truck that I left on since I was in hurry to leave society behind. Welded these up still working on the paint scheme and getting them welded on the truck. All will be matching when done.

Attachments

• KIMG0425.JPG
    KIMG0425.JPG
    695.3 KB · Views: 19