1968 Fiber-Top camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can sell those vintage appliances on any vintage trailer forum. Probably the rest of the stuff too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fridge already met it's demise, out of time sitting around waiting for someone to contemplate getting it since it didn't work on electric or propane.. In fact the camper inside isn't going to get done before it hits the road, ah the lovely joys of going homeless yet not homeless with a camper. Just will have to be finished on the road.

Where will you be heading first? Lots and lots of people building while on the road!

First stop is couple weeks in mountains out here till VA pension monthly check comes in then onto Montana check on few things and become resident of that state the head south for the winter slowly ... Where are you headed? I sound like a elder snow bird man but I'm only 37 :p 
Soon as I get it up on the truck all the way going to put fake turf on the deck behind the camper bolt couple lawn chairs down maybe a BBQ pit too and roll down the road such as is.

Attachments

• KIMG0401.JPG
    KIMG0401.JPG
    439.5 KB · Views: 19
Weldman said:
It got kicked out by the city of Port Angeles too among other problems over the years, here is some interior pictures, try to guess what it is...

40ft DRY BOX TRAILER TO TOW WITH A SEMI 
OR
BOXCAR ON A TRAIN
:D  WHAT DID I WIN?    NOBODY ELSE PLAYED

KIND OF LIKE WINNING A CAR RACE TROPHY JUST FOR RUNNING DOWN THE STRIP. 
 I WAS THE ONLY ONE IN MY DIVISION THAT DAY :angel:

JEWELL ANN

You won the "Participation" trophy. It's a 40' shipping container converted into a 5th wheel, first of it's kind in the US. Those aren't residential windows in there either, I actually stripped a 5th wheel to get them. Looks like crap right now due to welding taking the paint off and not done with it, going with a green like on the camper except more military olive drab. Thought about going into side business making these things except start off with 20' and give the customer options with a lead time of how long takes to build.

Attachments

• KIMG0092.JPG
    KIMG0092.JPG
    562.3 KB · Views: 9
  • KIMG0093.JPG
    KIMG0093.JPG
    514.4 KB · Views: 8
Houston we have a landing...

Attachments

• KIMG0403.JPG
    KIMG0403.JPG
    467.2 KB · Views: 12
dang, how much does that Conex trailer weigh? I know my 40 footer weighs over 8k empty and it doesn't have a frame, axles, or running gear. highdesertranger

When done and fully loaded out around 16k. Unlike all shipping containers this one went on a diet, shaved half the braces out from underneath, took the forklift pocket out and replaced it with some the braces I took out, dramatic weight reduction in area of where the windows went, took the back doors off that weighed 300 lbs each exactly and replaced it with floor plate and lastly took the 1.25" thick marine treated flooring and replaced it with .75" CDX. Unlike a regular fiver that relies on frame for strength and needs a full running frame this one relies on the walls. What you see underneath in picture is not the correct frame, that was an emergency get it out of here before I lost it. Was hauled from Texas to Canadian border and here, kicked off two peoples property, kicked out the city of Port Angeles, rejected from unknown many RV parks, fought 5 neighbors at it's current place and the county officials too. Going on 8 years in the making of working on it off and on plus this is a first so not like I could go to library to get ideas or YouTube, I call her "Perfect Storm".

These are pictures before I really dug into the way she is now and started changing few things.

Attachments

• 20161006_194131.jpeg
    20161006_194131.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20161006_194204.jpg
    20161006_194204.jpg
    844.3 KB · Views: 17
The deck and the door entrance, just missing some fake grass a couple lawn chairs bolted down with BBQ pit

Attachments

• IMG_20190221_163532.jpg
    IMG_20190221_163532.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 12
May as well stick a couple of flamingos on the fake grass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that, I should put a cooler there too with couple beers on top lmao.

Got to thinking instead of pink flamingos which would be hard to secure to the deck we could use lawn gnomes. :p

Yes! Lawn Gnomes would be great. I have quite a few I put back by my pond.

Here is kinda a different one

1be27306677a7972ba9765689006f429.jpg

Maybe he’s suppose to scare the kids away

What a lovely camper, I can't wait to see how you recreate her, certainly looks to be spacious living area.

That would've been all hand laid, and probably quite thickly too, like the early fibreglass boats.

Thanks and would or will be just need to get the floor plan right. Unlike most campers the bunk area is very short of only 53 inches from front to back so to eliminate having to crawl over each other going to have to take up floor space to extend the bed to 80 inches.. Provided with storage underneath.

That's a very good idea, thanks, now just got to figure out how to do it without raising the bed up too much cause the height room plus mattress is less than 3 ft. I can go with that , guess a drawer like setup would work best.