12v DataSafe HX505

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skooliemom

Reaction score
Do you think this would be a good battery to run in a bus? Is it safe(off-gassing)? I would only use it to run a 12v refrigerator.

"designed to offer superior solutions for the UPS, IT and Telecom (select models) markets which demand the highest levels of security and reliability." 

UPS, uninterruptible power supplies, generally sit there charged waiting for power to fail.  Thy typically don't cycle much.  To run your 12 volt refrigerator would that be a deep cycle use or did you want to guarantee power availability and only use the UPS battery when the normal power failed? 

It should be as low as any lead acid battery in terms of hydrogen gas production.  VRLA, valve regulated lead acid, means there is a valve that makes pressure build up in the battery to make the hydrogen and oxygen recombine.  Very little should come out.  If it gets seriously overcharged it will produce hydrogen. 

Many times UPS batteries appear for sale used.  They have been in service fully charged waiting for use.  The folks who use these batteries know when it is time to change them.  They replace them before they fail in service.  As with all used batteries, it might disappoint.  If the one you are looking at is new and the price is good it is likely to do what you want. 

Just for reference, a pair of golf cart batteries are about twice the capacity and should be under $200.  They are not valve regulated so you get some gas but reasonable precautions make the risk low.

I run similar UPS batteries. I got mine used and were 4 years old when I got them. They had only been cycled a couple of times when I got them. These batteries are now about 9 years old. I only have about two years worth of shallow (~25%) discharge cycles on them. They are losing capacity now too. Mine are AGM, these only state sealed lead acid but should not offgas. These appear to be pretty good ones as they weigh almost a pound per ampere hour. The more lead the better.

Golf cart batteries are probably the best bang for the buck but they off gas and require a little babysitting (add distilled water). I don't know if they make an AGM or sealed lead acid one.