12 volt socket interference

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRRNeiklot

Reaction score
I have a 12 volt socket that buzzes and causes audio interference when I plug my tv into it.  The front socket in the cab works flawlessly.  Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Thanks.

A little more info would help.
RV
Plugged into shore power or other charging device
What circuit the rear socket is connected into

In my roadtrek, I had buzzing on my TV when a rear socket was tied into a light circuit and plugged into shore power. Turned out to be the crap Magnetek charge controller. Only a noise filter on one circuit.

Whole lot of missing info here.

Is this an RV with power sockets running from your RV converter? If so, how does it act when unplugged from shore power?

Or is this a 12v socket on a small inverter? 

Or a power socket you added to a van?

Does it make the buzzing sound thru the equipment? Or can you actually hear the socket itself making a buzzing sound similar to an arc?

It's a stock 12 volt socket running off house battery. No shore power, no inverter. I'm not sure if it's on a circuit with lights, but I think that's likely to be the case.

what type of lights do you have Fluorescent, LED, or incandescent? the first 2 will cause RF interference if they are on. highdesertranger

A mix of LED and incandescent. I charged the battery and now it seems to be working normally. Maybe undervolted?