Here's a fun one for you all...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingArthur

Reaction score
So awhile back I bought this mil spec G30 that came installed with this non-functional 12v air conditioner pre-installed.

It's a product produced by a company called Frigette, which of course is no longer in existence. 

However, parts for this cooler seem to be readily availiable via military surplus and not terribly expensive. So what I'm asking is do you think it's worth trying to salvage this thing? Where would I even begin to look for someone who would be able to make an assesment on this thing if it's salvageable or not? I don't even know if it runs on 134-A. 

The top side looks to be a very simple unit with nothing more than a radiator and two fans. The motors of the fans could be replaced fairly cheaply so the outside split I'm not worried about.

The inside part I know nothing about. There seem to be some things missing to my mind. I don't see a pump or drier or any of the other fixings that should go along with an AC. Unless it's all tucked away inside the blower housing inside the van. 

Do you think this project is too ambitious? It would be cool to have a split AC in the van... but if it's going to take the majority of my life force to get it working I can move on to something else...

That is not a split system.
If it's like the ones I am familiar with, it runs off the A/C compressor under the hood.
That needs more power to move than you may think.

If you needed to have cost-no-object A/C in the desert, it might be worth looking into, but true 12V A/C can be found in one of the 2000-ish tractor trailer sleepers with the added battery bank.,,and that would likely be a better alternative.
They were designed to roll over just the driver while he slept and work very well when used right.
(Cool the vehicle with the dash A/C and use the 12V to maintain.)

If the freon is gone in that thing, it has two somewhat chronic issues to look at.
Find the sight glass near the compressor.
(These are all different where they put them)
When they get old, that block with the glass in it gets rotten.
If yours has flaky rust around those fittings, look there first.

Do you mean the compressor under the hood attached to the engine? If so, it's been disconnected since God knows when and is indeed quite rusty.

Just went out and took a look: Yes, I think your correct. The lines that run into the floor from the blower housing run up into the disconnected compressor under the hood. All the lines are custom cut rubber with fittings so therefore I don't see a sight glass anywhere.

yes, JD is correct the compressor is driven off the vans engine. the only thing that is 12v is the blower fan and the clutch just like any other vehicle AC. highdesertranger

If the lines have been left open, the realistic further use of that unit has been threatened.
The longer it has been open, the worse things are for its future.

By the time all is said and done, I think you would be better off making other plans for A/C.

There is a mil-spec setup that runs on a small diesel with the same components.
They had them in the 80's for hearse use/temporary morgue. There have been a few in the auctions I watch recently, but I cannot find the picture of the actual unit.
(It is VERY similar to the engines on the trailer/road signs/lights they use on highway jobs with the diesel engines.)

If you had one of those, your idea would be a lot more practical.
(Or a big Lister and a vat of fryer oil...:) )

Keep it intact. It will cost less to fix than rebuilding the wheel. The system is designed to work with the rear evaporator & dash evaporator.

The whole R12 thing kinda kills the deal in my opinion. Even if you try to convert it to R134, I think you'll just be throwing money at it. I'm thinking better and more cost effective to get a typical RV roof AC. Sometimes you can find a good used one from a dismantler or craigslist. Alternatively, you might adapt a residential window AC unit like the teardrop folks use.

Latest posts