How do we ACTUALLY make money!?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MontanaNicco

We are new van-dwellers living out of a Chevy 1992 conversion van plus. Every search I try for "how to make money on the road" it turns up answers like, "become a writer, sell your photos, make a blog". Now, while I know these may be possibilities for some, I need something more realistic. As far as I know, MOST people can't make money doing those things when it's their passion and they live in a stick house. I guess we are just getting discouraged because this is supposed to be a way to see America when instead we are panhandling. I would like to know what people actually do for money WHILE TRAVELING, without planting in a spot for a few months getting a regular job. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thank you!

Hi MontanaNico! Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

There are a few previous threads on the forums with regard to this subject
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=10235
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=10253
I'm sure there are more. Those are the most recent.

In this forum
https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13&page=3
there are many individual threads pertaining to working on the road.

And of course, there are our good friends Technomadia, who have an ongoing video series about what different nomads do to earn money while full-timing.
http://www.technomadia.com/ramblings/
Technomadia is a great resource for all things concerning a mobile lifestyle

Invest wisely and retire early. or as soon as possible.

get a bucket, some cheap dishsoap at the dollar store, some rags and a squeegee. Go door to door and ask it you can wash outside windows for a few bucks each.

Most folks rarely wash the outside of their windows, and are glad to have someone else do it for a few bucks.

Good work, done with a smile, will get you even more work.
Be open to offers of cleaning yards, cleaning out rain gutters, and garages too.
(ca$h only...don't let 'em give you their old junk. You don't need it living in a van, and it'll just clog up your living space.)

Bear sign.jpg100_0714.JPGdT1h.jpghln.jpgthink up a mini business that is going to work......I sell wood signs at RV rallys & campgrounds with an occasional fleamarket thrown in!!

pays better than any day job I've ever had and make my money in 2 days

Attachments

• hln.jpg
    hln.jpg
    174.2 KB
  • dT1h.jpg
    dT1h.jpg
    6.1 KB
  • 100_0714.JPG
    100_0714.JPG
    585.4 KB
  • Bear sign.jpg
    Bear sign.jpg
    24.4 KB
hi Lucky Mike. I make something similar but no where near as elaborate as your's. That is inspiring, seeing some of your work. Do you have a web site? I would shore like to pick your brain a little.

I travel around working as a dealer at poker tournaments. The most I spend in one place is 7 weeks for the world series - most others are around 10 days. I have a thread around here somewhere if you want more details.

I think most folks have some kind of pension or at least social security. The rest are working and stealth camping. They only need but so many campground hosts and such. Personally I've been trying to figure out how people can work over the internet. Everything I look into seems to be a scam or pyramid scheme of some sort. I think the idea behind this site is to work to live instead of living to work. So work 6 month going stealth and travel 6 months....repeat....I know it must be easier said then done. I'm holding on to my main gig for as long as I can stand it. Healthcare is an issue for those of us that are to young for medicare.

Could go the amazon route...work there for a bit then live off proceeds. Also there are workcamping jobs out there...some even posted right to this forum. Of course they do have you in one spot a while.

Many cities have both temp services, and day labor places. These can be a great resource for temporary jobs while traveling. If you're not picky, there are usually plenty of jobs available that most people don't want.

With experience and a little creativity, there is a lot of money to be made flipping finds at flea markets, yard sales, craigslist, and thrift stores.

I also know several people who will drive up to any construction site and ask for a days work, and usually get a job cleaning up debris etc.

Cleaning windows at restaurants and small businesses supports several people I know too, they say there is an unlimited supply anywhere they travel.

Another couple I know clean restrooms at bars, restaurants, gas stations, and small businesses for $5.00 At restaurants they sometimes barter for meals. They wintered in Tucson a couple years back, and said they were making upwards of $100 per day for a couple hours of work, and that they supported themselves during their travels doing the same thing.

One full timer I know who travels with the weather, says that where there's good weather there's carnivals, and where there's carnivals, there's work.

Another writes: "There's always sign waving jobs, work a week a month and enjoy life."

Still another does face painting at flea markets & swap meets.

There's no shortage of ways to make money on the road, you just need to think outside the box a little bit sometimes. Flea markets are a treasure trove of buyers, and I know people who sell everything from cartoon stickers to identity theft kits at them and make a decent living while traveling and enjoying themselves.

Someone once wrote "If you do a job you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life.". Find your niche and go for it.

Lucky mike said:
think up a mini business that is going to work......I sell wood signs at RV rallys & campgrounds with an occasional fleamarket thrown in!!

pays better than any day job I've ever had and make my money in 2 days
Thats really good! Do you use a laser etcher?

no...all my signs drawn freehand and then cut with either a mallet & chisel or router.....

someone showed me the ropes and I ran with it!!!.......

Here's a few idea's.

I do I.T independent contract work, I have no degree and am working on certification's but have 10+ experience which almost always speak's for itself, so far I've landed two contract job's, one with HP that pay's $17 an hour to do simple printer stuff and another with relocating laptop's for a business at $15 an hour and I make my own hour's., the trick is making yourself marketable.

Find something your good at, whether it be construction, I.T work etc, Whatever it is your good at, exploit it! If you have experience in your trade, great! Make sure to highlight that on your resume and write a very good cover letter explaining your skill's and how they would benefit a company.

Other than that, there's alway's temp job location's but when I lived in Florida at the peak of unemployment (14%+) I was pretty much told too bad when I walked in, that's why I started doing indepenent I.T work, trust me you don't need to be a genius for entry level computer work but again, find what your good at and use that to your advatage.

If your decent with computer's, check out www.support.com, they will hire you as an at home rep which mean's you can work anywhere, you do need a reliable phone and internet or WiFi connection though.

Hope this helped.

Chris

gsfish said:
I have done quite a bit of on the road industrial construction/maintenance and there is a high percentage of people in this field traveling with motor homes or trailers. LOTS of tax advantages for this travel if you have a "home" elsewhere, most projects pay a per diem for out of towners, there can be lots of overtime (7/12s anyone?) and the pay is way better than average. Get in with the right company and you can travel from job to job and get benefits. My last job like this was in NW Florida and I was asked to go to jobs in N Dakota or Ft Lauderdale.

Guy

I know this is an older post, but do you still do this?   What do you do in "road industrial construction/maintenance?"

Thanks

Zil said:
Invest wisely and retire early. or as soon as possible.

This is actually really good advice.  The younger you are the better it will work, but never too late to start.  Sock away a few extra bucks when ever you can and invest it as you go and you'll be siting on a very decent nest egg down the road.

I'm one of those people who worked all their life to be able to buy a van and fix it up the way I want in order to have the van dwelling life style. I will be able to maintain my van dwelling lifestyle in relative comfort if I choose to. What has really been a great financial resource for me, besides my pension and work related investments, is renting my house on Airbnb. I finance the majority of my trips by listing my house, but not more than ten days per month. During this period I live in my van or stay with my family. The rest of the month I'm back at home. If I desire I really long vacation, with or without my van, I rent my house for longer periods of time. Perhaps 2 - 3 weeks. If I get in the mood to stay home and not do any traveling, I just don't rent my home and live in it, until such time that I get the itch to travel again.

It's not difficult to make money with Airbnb, but it does require one to have a good location. Luckily, I'm very close to Disneyland, which is still a huge draw with tourists. Even with tickets over $100.00 each, Disneyland is always full. As such, I keep myself booked five to six months in advance. I think that Airbnb is an excellent way to supplement one's income. It makes things so much easier for me, and it's nice to know that I can really vet prospective guests to make sure I don't get any flakes, weirdos or guests that could be potential problems. I rarely have any issues and it's nice to make decent money without doing anything other than cleaning the house thoroughly, handing guests a key and wishing them a nice vacation.

MattK said:
Personally I've been trying to figure out how people can work over the internet. Everything I look into seems to be a scam or pyramid scheme of some sort. I think the idea behind this site is to work to live instead of living to work. So work 6 month going stealth and travel 6 months....repeat....I know it must be easier said then done. ...
I've become jaded on internet work. I've seen too many scams and schemes with legitimate internet work like paid surveys and Amazon Mechanical Turk paying peanuts.

That is right Matt. Working to LIVE instead of Living to Work.
Off Grid 24/7 said:
Many cities have both temp services, and day labor places.  These can be a great resource for temporary jobs while traveling.  If you're not picky, there are usually plenty of jobs available that most people don't want.

With experience and a little creativity, there is a lot of money to be made flipping finds at flea markets, yard sales, craigslist, and thrift stores.  

I also know several people who will drive up to any construction site and ask for a days work, and usually get a job cleaning up debris etc.

Cleaning windows at restaurants and small businesses supports several people I know too, they say there is an unlimited supply anywhere they travel.

Another couple I know clean restrooms at bars, restaurants, gas stations, and small businesses for $5.00  At restaurants they sometimes barter for meals.  They wintered in Tucson a couple years back, and said they were making upwards of $100 per day for a couple hours of work, and that they supported themselves during their travels doing the same thing.

One full timer I know who travels with the weather, says that where there's good weather there's carnivals, and where there's carnivals, there's work.

Another writes: "There's always sign waving jobs, work a week a month and enjoy life."

Still another does face painting at flea markets & swap meets.

There's no shortage of ways to make money on the road, you just need to think outside the box a little bit sometimes.  Flea markets are a treasure trove of buyers, and I know people who sell everything from cartoon stickers to identity theft kits at them and make a decent living while traveling and enjoying themselves.

Someone once wrote "If you do a job you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life.".  Find your niche and go for it.
I am very skeptical about these gig opportunities, many of them you have to know people or be extremely pro-social. The writing style of this post sounds to me like the pay may be exaggerated, examples may be "best case scenarios", and the amount of work may be is downplayed. This kind of language makes it sound easier than it really is, please tell it like it is.

Every Road Leads Home said:
This is actually really good advice.  The younger you are the better it will work, but never too late to start.  Sock away a few extra bucks when ever you can and invest it as you go and you'll be siting on a very decent nest egg down the road.
It is a good idea to not get carried away with saving and investing, as the "sacrifice today for tomorrow" extreme is like how many conventional house dwellers spend the best years of their life saving for "retirement" . Strike a balance. Don't spend every cent as soon as you get it and don't scrimp and scrounge when you can afford not to.

debit.servus said:
It is a good idea to not get carried away with saving and investing, as the "sacrifice today for tomorrow" extreme is like how many conventional house dwellers spend the best years of their life saving for "retirement" . Strike a balance. Don't spend every cent as soon as you get it and don't scrimp and scrounge when you can afford not to.

There are a lot more people that spent "the best years of their life" not saving for retirement and wished they had.  There are numerous large national studies and surveys done and the number one thing older people wished they had done differently was saved when the were younger.  I think you will find few people that regretted saving too much money.

Latest posts