How do we ACTUALLY make money!?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lenny flank said:
I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I make my living as editor for a small publishing company, so I basically read books for a living. Not only do I love my job and enjoy doing it, but I work completely online and can do it on the road, any place I can get a wifi connection. So I can travel wherever and whenever I feel like going, and work whenever I feel like it (usually on days that it's raining and I don't wanna visit a museum or park or whatever) or not.

No "rat race" for me. Even though I "work" 3 or 4 days a week, it feels to me as though I've already retired. As someone once said, "Do a job that you love, and you'll never work a day in your life. 

:idea:

I should have brought up that later in "Your Money or Your Life" that Robin and Dominguez make a distinction between "work" and "paid employment". Work is defined the jobs that we might do because it gives us pleasure.   That might include things such as charity work, coaching a little league base ball team, or being a boy scout leader. But it could also be things such as yard work or gardening.  Paid employment is the job that we do simply to get money.  For most people there is a clear delineation between "work" and "paid employment", but for a lucky few there is no distinction.

When I was employed as a software engineer, I thoroughly enjoyed my job.  I found it to be highly creative and I felt that I could create new functionality very quickly.  This gave me pleasure.  Because I enjoyed it so much I constantly was getting promotions and pay raises, but truth be told I didn't care about that.  I really think I would have done my best because I enjoyed it so much.  I remember once I told a senior vice president that once you reached a certain point (where you were able to cover your needs) that getting a pay raise really didn't mean all that much.  At the time I had just increased my earning to about $50K.  About two years later I was interviewing for a new job in California.  I was asked how much I should be paid and I replied $100K.  My future boss just laughed and said "Yea sure, don't we all!!!".  But two years later, I was making the $100K.   My point being that your attitude towards your "paid employment" has a lot to do with turning your "paid employment" into "work".  And if you truly enjoy your "work", then there is a high probability that you will also see monetary increases.  But this won't mean as much because you are doing your "work" with gusto because you enjoy it. 

Lucky indeed is the person who has a passion for their job and views it as a pleasure and not just a "paid employment".

MontanaNicco said:
We are new van-dwellers living out of a Chevy 1992 conversion van plus. Every search I try for "how to make money on the road" it turns up answers like, "become a writer, sell your photos, make a blog". Now, while I know these may be possibilities for some, I need something more realistic. As far as I know, MOST people can't make money doing those things when it's their passion and they live in a stick house. I guess we are just getting discouraged because this is supposed to be a way to see America when instead we are panhandling. I would like to know what people actually do for money WHILE TRAVELING, without planting in a spot for a few months getting a regular job. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thank you!

I believe vantramp and his gal are coding. Might PM him to learn more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts