How do we ACTUALLY make money!?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out working at the racetracks (horses). They are always looking for grooms and hot walkers.

It is always short term. Even if you find you like to keep working for the same trainer..everyone moves around all the time. tracks close for the season, others open up. Many other opportunities that are only for a week or two exist with horse auctions.

Never heard of them. Looks cool. Basically pays for the gas to get to a new area to explore

Nowadays, we play the concert circuit - churches mostly - but when we were younger we busked our way around the world.

Cities differ, as do economic climates, but in 1974 1 could easily make $150 a day for 2 hours' work. (Just checked, and that has the purchasing power of $764.94 today. Wow! Am surprised by that figure!).

I've no clue what street musicians make today, but I'm guessing that it wouldn't be hard to rake in a couple of hundred bucks (at least) for a good, well-planned, two-hour show. I *am* talking about competent musicians who work hard at their craft. I've personally heard a few exceptional singles and duos.

Just another way to go.

Of course, we have the income from my novels too, but if we were living hand to mouth, I know that we'd do fine as street musicians.

We love what we do and have no plans to retire - God Willing.

On another forum I read somebody was a natural gas line inspector. The job is where there are natural gas lines. Each line going to each home or business has to be inspected on a regular basis by law. No formal education necessary. You carry a sniffer tool looking for leaks and keep a log of where you inspected. After the one area is done, you go to the next, so it is a good job for a van dweller.
I did a quick search for natural gas line inspector and got a bunch of hits. here is one from the Seattle area. https://www.ziprecruiter.com/jobs/hydromax-usa-f30e32d0/pipeline-inspection-technician-028f6c3b

DannyB1954 said:
On another forum I read somebody was a natural gas line inspector.

Heather and I do this. 

From another forum ....

Fitzgerald and Associates
Heath
Southern Cross, Inc.

Each of the above companies employ RV travelers to survey natural gas pipelines for leaks. Survey Technician, Pipeline Surveyor, Leak Surveyor each represent some of the names used to describe the position - depending on the company. In return for a 40 hour work week, the above companies provide: Paid training, Training Completion Bonus, Fuel allowances (for RV and Tow Vehicle), Campground Fees (in the form of a weekly stipend), insurance, 401k and an hourly wage. Unless an emergency situation arises (prolonged and extreme severe weather, earthquake, natural disaster, etc.) overtime will simply not exist.[/font][/size][/color]

Heather and I both work for Southern Cross, Inc - currently stationed in The Black Hills area of South Dakota. Prior to our current assignment, we covered Myrtle Beach, SC. Our 'training' took place in the Ark-La-Tex region (Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana), and we have visited 24 States ( now 26) over the last year and a half.

The position requires an interested applicant to: Pass a criminal background check and drug screen, have their own RV (Van, trailer, fiver, Class A, B C - doesn't matter) and have their own vehicle (any tow vehicle works just fine & a Van would serve as both). The position also requires walking several miles of natural gas Pipeline each day.

As I said, Heather and I both work as a 'team' each day - as do others across the country.

HTH

- Todd

ToddandHeather said:
Heather and I do this.

Hi!  I'm curious about this work and your "travels" doing it.  Was this a series of short-term placements with breaks between sites?  Or were you continuously hired and sent to these various sites?  Thank you. jj

JJPDX said:
Hi!  I'm curious about this work and your "travels" doing it.  Was this a series of short-term placements with breaks between sites?  Or were you continuously hired and sent to these various sites?  Thank you. jj

Every situation has different criteria. 

Many people choose to work only half the year. We choose to work year round. However, most assignments don't require you arrive at the next assignment 'yesterday' - but exceptions do exist.

Some examples:

South Carolina: December is an 'off' month. Surveyors working in this state have the entire month off. Some people choose to go on 'special projects' (short term assignments which need completing in other states) during this period. Others, take the whole month off.

Ark-La-Tex (Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana) Region (Includes Mississippi and Oklahoma as well) works year round. If you want time off, you can spend your 'paid time off' hours, or take time off without pay. 

Utah, The Dakotas, and most areas in the very North of the USA only work 6 to 9 months out of the year. Some choose to then travel during the off months. Others (like Heather and I) choose to travel to the next assignment. 

Each location has its own contract, and its own 'reasons' for establishing deadlines. Using Heather and I as an example, we spent December in Key West (a paid vacation due to our earned time off). Our next assignment (Myrtle Beach) didn't begin until the second weekend in January, so we had a leisurely stroll from the Florida Keys to Myrtle Beach, SC - stopping in all manner of places along the route. Myrtle Beach then needed us to complete our tasks prior to the start of 'Spring Break.' This meant we needed everything wrapped up by 'Good Friday.' We finished one day early. We then choose to work a 'special assignment' (one month in this case) over in Arkansas until the beginning of our current position (in The Black Hills) start date (May 1st in Bismark, ND). After one week in Bismark, we arrived here (Spearfish, SD) where we will remain until we complete surveying all scheduled pipeline for this year's rotation. The 'deadline' for our responsibilities in this area of the country falls on October 31st. However, we are already well ahead of schedule. As such, we will probably finish about a month earlier than anticipated. Once finished here, we will move to another area close by (Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota or Minnesota) in an effort to 'help out' others to complete their tasks on time. Sometime after November 1st, we anticipate working the Gulfport, Mississippi area- until the end of the year (where we will vacation in Tucson, Arizona).

As I said, Every company, surveyor and contract has different criteria and different expectations to meet. The above represents our choices. Some people travel more frequently than we do. Some less. Some not at all (they choose to be permanently located in one area of the country). 

Although 'overtime' rarely exists, certain circumstances do dictate its necessity. Heather and I have 'chosen' (overtime, even if needed, remains a voluntary situation with our company) to work extra hours on two separate occasions. In both, our supervisor stressed doing so was purely optional on our part. Some areas of the country 'expect' one to work "4 tens" allowing for a three day weekend (or four day when a Holiday rolls around) every weekend. Other areas of the country 'prefer' one work all five days, but allow you to 'front load' the week creating a 'very short' Friday. "Four nines and a four" fulfill this requirement.

As you can see, no 'one way' exists either within a company, within a contract (specific location) or they way each surveyor finds fits best for their area and lifestyle choices.

HTH

Todd

Milk Hauler said:
Sugarbeet harvest in Idaho starts Sept 15. By that time I'll have a nice van and cargo trailer. I plan to to live in that van for the 5 month duration. They offerd me a bounus if I stay the entire 5 months. This is a driving position. The boss told me he needs 30 drivers based near Twin Falls Idaho.

They pay is by the load, so no overtime if you work more than 40 hrs a week. Its how the trucking business works. I spoke with a few drivers who did the 5 months, and they claim to have averaged $15 an hour. Gross pay for 5 months is $25-30k. If you have a cdl and can sit in a heated cab 12 hrs a day, then look into beat hauling.

Idaho winter months are brutal come late December. You will need an insulated van. Plan B would to get a cheap motel room in Twin Falls for $600 a month. It will cut into ur saving, but at least you will be nice a toasty when its -18 below outside. Your results may vary. I do plan to document my adventure. Come spring I'll flee to Cresent City Ca, and watch the waves roll in.

Sent from my LGL82VL using Tapatalk

I have a CDL and have given some thought to working the beet harvest.  My understanding was it only lasted about 3-4 weeks though.  Is there something else going in Idaho that long or did I miss some information?  Was thinking North Dakota or Minnesota initially.

Dennis said:
I have a CDL and have given some thought to working the beet harvest.  My understanding was it only lasted about 3-4 weeks though.  Is there something else going in Idaho that long or did I miss some information?  Was thinking North Dakota or Minnesota initially.
I don't have info on beet hauling in the Midwest. I do know Idaho grows more sugar beets, than the entire mid-west. If Bob will allow me to post one of the bosses cell number, he can answer any questions you may have. I'm not a recruiter, but have always tried to help other fellow drivers. This gig is very popular with retirees, because it easy work. They actually prefer you just stay in the truck and let the loaders do thier thing.

They have set routes you follow, due to the weight if the trucks.
(128,000 lbs) Sooo, you may get bored running the same farm roads all day long. They have 2 shifts. 5pm-5am and 5am-5pm. I prefer to drive at night, so I will be in the night crew. Their trucks are set at 65mph, and they have some new Cascadias coming in. You will slip seat, but they are big on keeping the trucks clean and dot legal. If someone is a slob or fails to write up safety issues, they will dock thier pay... Or can them out right.

The direct website application is...
DriveTeamGreen.com

Transystems Inc. They do have cdl work year round, including hauling asphalt during the summer months in the Midwest. If ur interested. I have an easy gig here in Nm hauling milk to Tx, so Im staying put till Sept.

For beet harvest work in SE Idaho, talk to Jason at 208-308-3046. He can have you in a truck by Sept 15th, assuming you have a good record. You will have to take a pre employment physical, but they pay for that. He told me if I want, they can run me till April. Most guys who work for Transystems know they will be laid off come April, so they tend to find work before that. This leaves the company with a big vacuum, but with a few weeks still left of the season they are short in drivers. Thats where the $1000 bounus comes in if you stay till April. My plans are still a go to do this in Sept. If you decide to join, I'll PM you my cell. Im very familiar with the Magic Valley, and help you find cheap housing on a temp basis.

REVELATIONS 8

Thanks for the info, Milk Hauler. Some people will complain no matter what, but......have you read any reviews from some of their ex drivers? This is just a note of interest/caution if not. I might be more inclined to work directly for a farmer driving in the field for a shorter period of time. I want to be the heck and gone by the time cold weather settles in :)
I am interested in keeping up with what you do and how it works out on the driving. Hope its good.

ArtW said:
Makes me wish i had a CDL

Art....for you or anyone else thinking along those lines.  A lot of the custom crop harvesters (wheat, corn, silage, etc. )  will often hire and help workers with getting a cdl without the cost of a school or long term commitment.  Its temporary work and can pay well over a few months time. 

I'm thinking I may still find one to drive for.  Sure not as cool as sitting in a mountain campsite though....

in some states you don't need a CDL if you are driving for a harvest. highdesertranger

I drove a beet truck from the fields to the processing plant, when I was young living in Wisconsin.
The pay wasn't great and neither were the trucks.
But this helped me build up some 'paid, professional' miles, which in turn, helped me when I finally was old enough to drive interstate semis.

I've now trucked in 48 states, Canada, and Mexico...and have trucked up the AlCan highway up to Alaska...in January no less!
I'm sure those beet runs helped me in the long run.

When me and Vic worked the beet harvest last year,the truck drivers didn't need a cdl.The pay was $20 an hr,12 on,12 off,7 days a week.Overtime paid after 40 hrs.A much better gig than shoveling beets.This was in ND.Good Luck.

Bob Dickerson said:
When me and Vic worked the beet harvest last year,the truck drivers didn't need a cdl.The pay was $20 an hr,12 on,12 off,7 days a week.Overtime paid after 40 hrs.A much better gig than shoveling beets.This was in ND.Good Luck.

Are you going back? Driving or working for the sugar company?

Dennis said:
Art....for you or anyone else thinking along those lines.  A lot of the custom crop harvesters (wheat, corn, silage, etc. )  will often hire and help workers with getting a cdl without the cost of a school or long term commitment.  Its temporary work and can pay well over a few months time. 

I'm thinking I may still find one to drive for.  Sure not as cool as sitting in a mountain campsite though....

might need to look into that
One idea i had for getting out of stationary living and losing my very physical current job was driving commercially, preferably OTR

OTR driving probably will take a different kind of experience than harvest to do that. Some like that and some don't. Not the life for me. I hauled crude oil for a while and drove a vacuum truck in the oil patch in west TX. Oil biz kind of went downhill.

I got a state grant in 2008 that paid for me to get my CDL. I went to Parker Driving School in Avon, Ma and the grant paid for the entire thing, I think it was close to $5500! It included classroom time and lots of driving time. They also let you use their truck to take the driving exam. The grants were for people who were on unemployment which I was at the time. Not sure if other states offer grants for this sort of thing, but if you're on employment or ever find yourself on it in the future, certainly worth looking into.

Latest posts