Insurance--I just don't get it

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanDweller

Reaction score
I would love to know how others here are insuring the van which they live in full-time.  Progressive just sent me a non-renewal notice for not having my van regularly garaged at the listed address (my sister's house).  Periodically I have called around with zero luck to find insurance for DIY camper vans.  So not only is there no full-time coverage, but even regular vehicle insurers will drop you from your regular policy if they find out you travel.  Seriously just don't get it and want to know what others are doing.  Also, this is such a big topic, why isn't there a specific forum for it.  Banging head against wall!

Now don’t go ruining this for me and it telling them otherwise but I’m relatively sure my insurance with progressive is valid because the van that I’m traveling in is a conversion van that was made with a bed in it for this type of travel. I don’t know how they found out or why they investigated where you keep it. My official address is a mailbox service at a real street address. the PA Department of transportation uses that as my address and so does my insurance. You and I would consider my van dwelling full-time but actually technically it isn’t because I stay with friends often and just travel from place to place. Can you get your title changed to RV. I don’t know what state you’re in but I would try it. If it is RV then you’ll have to pay more insurance I’m paying a little extra because mines a conversion van, not a work van.

When it's a DIY conversion, neither Progressive nor anyone else that I know of will insure it as an RV. So I guess yours was not a DIY. I am specifically talking about DIY conversion vans.

But also, the thing is, at this point I've given up on trying to find full-timers coverage for a DIY van and am facing the fact that I can't even get regular coverage if they find out that I don't stay at the listed address. I was able to get them to renew my coverage by sending them some of my mail which shows the listed address. But now my concern is this: If I get in an accident and they evaluate the van and see that there was a bed in it, a vent fan, solar panels, drawers, a sink and a stove, might they refuse to pay out?

And this is why I am so baffled at the fact that this topic doesn't seem to get regularly discussed and doesn't even have a forum.

I use Allstate for my house, car, and RV. The RV is listed as "Specialty".

DanDweller said:
And this is why I am so baffled at the fact that this topic doesn't seem to get regularly discussed and doesn't even have a forum.

Most people just get insurance for a van. Trying to get RV insurance on a DIY Van/"RV" is just making things difficult.

What is the benefit you are looking for with RV insurance ?

x2 on what ridgeway said. don't tell them it's a homebuilt or that you live in it full time. if they don't ask don't tell. highdesertranger

Maybe it's about time for there to be a insurance company for nomads.....

Dan Dweller

All insurance is regulated at the STATE level.......What State is your Address ?

The BEST insurance advice I got was from a SCHOOLIE FORUM: "Contact an Independent Insurance agent in your state"

I did and have a Progressive Policy....The AGENT takes care of the details.......All he needs is VIN#......DRL#....4 photos and an e-payment....all by phone

He Knows I'm Full-Time.......Traveling 24/7.........My Domicile and mail service are Florida

FLORIDA based ?..............my agent Tim can write you a policy.......PM me

I went thru a similar situation back in 2014 with my van. I actually had an agent tell me that if I build a bed or put an airmattress or a cot in the van then it becomes essentially un-insurable, but if I buy a pickup, put a topper on it, and add any kind of bed in the back of that, they don't care at all because as far as they are concerned, that's all cargo back there.

Sure seems skewed to me.

I have Geico. When I called them regarding my GMC Savana cargo van, I said it was not going to be used for commercial purposes, but only for camping. Also, I said I did not wish to insure any sort of RV modifications, just the basic van. They were happy with that. Also I am part-time, and did not broach the issue of full-timing. Cost for the van (2016) is only a little more than cost for my 4-year older SUV.

I've had my cargo van insured with Progressive for seven years (so far) with no problems. As far as they know, it's just a van. Of course, that means only the van is insured, nothing in or on it. But that's a risk I'm willing to take.

I'm curiousm DanDweller, how they determined you weren't regularly garaged at your address.

As these vans are normally used for commercial business purposes, I should imagine that costs more to insure. ??? However, I did not ask specifically about that, but it's probably good to mention non-commercial use.

Qxxx said:
As these vans are normally used for commercial business purposes, I should imagine that costs more to insure.

The VIN on my conversion van comes up as a cargo and when I first bought it my State Farm agent wanted to charge commercial rates. I then explained to him that all conversion vans start out as cargos. He did ask me if it had seats in the back and I truthfully said yes. They were removed later of course as I added a bed,solar,etc.

So for 3 years it's been like HDR said..."Don't ask, don't tell".  It just has liability coverage on it so I can't see them denying a payout to another party in case I run into someone. I don't plan on testing out that theory anytime soon though.

ridgeway said:
Most people just get insurance for a van. Trying to get RV insurance on a DIY Van/"RV" is just making things difficult.

What is the benefit you are looking for with RV insurance ?

Yup.

I would never call my van a conversion van, since it isn't one. Nor would I ever tell anyone I am living in it. I am traveling in it full time for a while.

It's an ordinary Econoline cargo van. When I bought it, I toid my agent I bought it to go camping in. Everything in it can be removed in about an hour flat, leaving no modifications whatever. He was good with that.

A year or so later, I changed my residential address to my sister's address, and told the agent I was going to travel full time in my van for a year or so. He was good with that too. (I'm sure it helps that he goes camping/fishing/hunting A LOT. He doesn't think I'm weird, he intends to do the same thing I'm doing when he retires in about 10 years.)

So my van is insured as a passenger vehicle, and my renter's insurance covers the stuff in it. But actually neither the van nor the stuff in it is worth very much, compared to, say, your average Lexus. (My insurance is from Pemco.)

So much depends on the state where your van is registered. Find an independent broker, as someone suggested. If your state regs are unfriendly, consider another state. NEVER lie to your insurance agent.

I believe www.escapees.com has a lot of info/advice on this issue.

Progressive used (may still, I don't follow the company or the industry) to offer a discount if the insured volunteered to install a provided tracking device in the vehicle. Tracking velocity and location constantly [without uncertainty].
Easy for them to know where a vehicle is parked overnight and if the driver has a lead foot without receiving a speeding ticket.
Very progressive, you know.

Go to escapees.com and look around on their site. They have a mail forwarding service that you can use to establish a legal domicile. This works for all tax and official documents services.

There are similar services in other states with tax advantages.

Google "domicile addresses for full-time RVing".

Mine is insured as a "cargo van used for no commercial purposes". I told my credit union and insurance company that I planned to travel when I retired and I needed the space to haul all of my camping equipment. The insurance listed it as recreational use. We also have two other insured vehicles so they are probably OK with me using it to travel. Everything in my vehicle can be removed in a matter of minutes, nothing is permanent. If I get in an accident......yank the bed and stuff and toss it in the ditch before the insurance company arrives! :) Buy a new van, then go back and pick up your junk. LOL

I am going to assume that DanDweller that maybe the can is the only vehicle you have insured? That might be the issue that caused them to look into it.