Any RVers Use toilet w/o water??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherterr

Reaction score
I'm moving my RV soon to my other Granny Cabin lot with NO septic; and while this was a cool plan to go 'composting toilet' style over THERE... I'm not so sure how to negotiate it with my RV toilet in the meantime.

I can line w/ a bag, etc.. but HOW DO I TURN OFF THE WATER?  (I still need pump to run kitchen).

ALSO.. if anyone else is doing this, 'splain please. :)
THANK YOU

well you could just not flush it. or you could unscrew the water line and cap it. highdesertranger

I unscrewed the water line and capped mine... I did it because there was a leak and I didn't need the toilet enough to fix it. I line with bags and if I choose to flush the toilet I flush it with the shower head.

There should be a shut off somewhere in the system.

I keep saying I'm going to make a video to explain this properly. but, I m not a fan of videos, so I don't
I used my toilet. but only to hold rubber maid containers that held my metabolic waste. I use the same system in my van and bucket toilet

I lined my toilet with a rubbermaid container (there's a size that fits almost perfectly.) For BMs I lined the container with 2 quality plastic bags. the top one contained some kitty litter. I always had two of those at the ready.

For urine I just pee'd straight into the container, toilet paper goes in the trash. It was big enough to hold about 24 hours of urine. Those were emptied into a toilet or a cathole, and cleaned daily. I never had any problems with odor, in either. I kept one of those in the toilet at all times. And I always had extra of those, too.

The lid seals tightly enough so there was no fear of spillage when taking them out. I sprayed them down with vinegar when I emptied them and sanitized them regularly.

This is the container I use.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-TakeAlongs/17331744

I tried the larger one but it doesn't leave enough room to get the lid on before removing it from the bucket/toilet to clean

I could switch them out pretty quickly

We bag our toilet, it saves a lot of water and doubles our grey water capacity. The 4 gal bags fit just right.

I tried bagging it, too. The bags, for me, were awkward to get out of the toilet and out of the moho and not as easy to dispose of.

I have weight limits with regard to what I should lift. A gallon of liquid, at 8 pounds, is pretty close to the limit.

Man... I almost posted this in the other thread on just the plumbing!!!  Thank goodness I discovered in time to edit!!
ANYWAY...

Here's what Ultimately happened:

It took two 70 mile round trips, but I got 'my precious' piece of hardware to 'cap' the line to the toilet. Now 'cap' to me is NOT the word to visually describe it. The end of my little inlet hose at back of toilet was like a screw on hose end (female) while on the part was a threaded nub handle sort of thing. Wa La.. it was like magic. No more water to toilet.

In response to some of your conversation in this thread:

Water in 'bowl' of toilet - When hooked up normally, some of these RV toilets (like mine) would leave a little water in the hole no matter HOW fast, sneaky, etc. you let off of the foot pedal.

The suggestion to line w/plastic trash bags has been cool. I used my regular tall kitchen size to line the actual entire toilet (2 cause I'm paranoid) and THEN I used the Rubbermaid reusable (red lid) Large size bowls INSIDE of that, and they are DOUBLE lined with scented :) 4 gallon bags.

So far so good. I ONLY USE to go pooh. I keep both bowls ready at all times. YES, I have to (prefer to) lean forward for the toilet paper part, and I also have to push down on the 'seat' before "I" sit or else I get a really good Pinch on the back of my thighs!!   :blush:  (Don't ask me how I know!!)

I initially attempted to use the stand and pee method with a small stool, a tall empty Tidy Cat container w/ RV chemicals and a cool funnel I found at the dollar store with an angle to it, and extra long tube part. I believe it is actually for use during oil changes? ANYWAY...

This was working great for a while, and then for some reason, suddenly, I kept 'missing' the proper fit and... you guessed it... as Judge Judy would say - 'don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining'.. SO...

I grabbed my little Dometic Portapotty, put it in the only remaining space in my RV (Between desk and shower in front of back door which I never use anyway) and only go #1 in there.

It's working.

#1 gets dumped maybe twice a week, and little bags go to dump almost immediately.

NOW..My next question:

HOW do you all deal with avoiding smelling up your VAN???? I mean... If I leave the little bag in the actual bathroom, with the exhaust fan going til I get dressed for only a few minutes... it's kind of stinky. I can't imagine doing the bags in my mini van.
HOW DO YOU ALL who use this bag method in your VANs eliminate the smell.. I mean if you're on the road, I guess lots of times you can stop for facilitles, and camping, carry to the trash. I guess I mean the 'stealth' times..

Hope this answered ALL the questions we'll ever have on this topic!! lol Smile But Yet... I don't think it will SmileSmileSmile

Dig a cathole to run it in.When it fills up,cover it with dirt and dig another one.Much better for the environment than a bunch of trash bags full of shit.

I generally never use the toilet in my RV. When I do, I don't turn on water pumps or nothing. I just have a jug of non-drinking water I pour alittle of into the toilet before I do my thing. Flush. Empty tank once a month.

cherterr said:
HOW do you all deal with avoiding smelling up your VAN????

the solid waste is removed immediately,double bagged and goes directly out side, if I am camped; or to a trash can if I am just parked. the liquid waste gets dumped once daily.I carry it inot a bathroom with me or Idig a cathole.

A RV toilet is dry so it smells if you flush it or not. The bag goes in a small bucket to go out after every use and the air has to clear anyways. What is nice is the bathroom/ black tank never smells and the toilet is very easy to clean. I wouldn't cap the line though, it would make it too hard to winterize.

Latest posts