your reviews of portable power stations and portable solar panels?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes that is one of the things to look out for as many use different types of batteries.

I bought a Cen-Tech power pack for about $50, has usb and 12v plus jump starter and led light. 

To run my 12v maxxfan and fridge, takes more power from the wired solar setup (not portable).

To use 120vAC power I can use shore power, a generator, or an inverter. My main 120vAC power draw is the rear air conditioner if I need to cool the van when it is parked. I can also plug the fridge into 120vAC shore power as it has dual voltage plugs. 

I don't think the canned units people are buying would power my big power draws: air conditioning and refrigeration. Is anyone running larger power draws off of the canned units?
-crofter

I finally got around to test using my DOKIO 100W folding solar panel (as is my custom, I used this site's Amazon referral tool, so that anyone who purchases using this link will give our host a bit of kickback) to charge my GOLABS 299Wh power station.

Conditions:
*Location: Approximately 32 degrees north latitude, 110 degrees west longitude, 4300' elevation
*Angle of panel: Flat on level ground
*Start time 10:00 AM MST, end time 12:30 PM MST
*Cloud cover: Mostly sunny

Results:
After 2 1/2 hours of charging, my GOLABS power station went from 41% charge to 84% charge, as indicated on the display. When there were no clouds in the way, displayed input wattage was around 55W-57W (just shy of the power station's max solar input of 65W). Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the performance of this combo.

ETA: One nice thing about the DOKIO 100W folding solar panel is that it comes with five adaptor input plugs for various makes/models of power stations. It also comes with a 10A PWM charge controller. For the Amazon list price of $124.77, that's a pretty good deal IMHO.

So what are you running off of your power panel? Needs to do more than charge the battery up, right?
-crofter

AuricTech said:
I finally got around to test using my DOKIO 100W folding solar panel (as is my custom, I used this site's Amazon referral tool, so that anyone who purchases using this link will give our host a bit of kickback) to charge my GOLABS 299Wh power station.

Conditions:
*Location: Approximately 32 degrees north latitude, 110 degrees west longitude, 4300' elevation
*Angle of panel: Flat on level ground
*Start time 10:00 AM MST, end time 12:30 PM MST
*Cloud cover: Mostly sunny

Results:
After 2 1/2 hours of charging, my GOLABS power station went from 41% charge to 84% charge, as indicated on the display. When there were no clouds in the way, displayed input wattage was around 55W-57W (just shy of the power station's max solar input of 65W). Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the performance of this combo.
I've been testing my GOLABS hooked to my 12v refer pulling 13v since yesterday. It's been connected since 7:00 pm last night and I currently have it set at 40 degrees with a 12.0 v input cutoff. It's held steady at 13 -12.9 v except at compressor cycling when it's dropped down as low as 12.2 v. Currently reading 35 degrees inside and 62% of battery charge remaining on the GOLABS. Looking good.

Cheers!

Cheers!

@crofter:

I currently (pun intended) have access to shore power for my motorhome in which I live full-time. That being said, I enjoy tent camping, so I bought the GOLABS power station to provide power for camping without shore power, and I bought the DOKIO 100W solar panel specifically to keep the power station charged when tent camping. One nice thing about the GOLABS power station is that it supports pass-through charging.

Eventually, I plan to install a PV system to power all my needs other than air conditioning. But that's a long-term goal...

I purchased a LiFePo4 Audew power station and it failed within 30 days. I too purchased a golabs as a replacement and it is much better built. It also offers pass through charging as does the lower cycle life Jackery.

I don’t think the higher capacity power stations are worth it, you can build your own for less.

I think I'm going to like this unit. Very compact and replaces the gennie and the large solar system for most of what i use power wise.

Cheers!

christee said:
I have bought a jackery explorer 240 portable power station last year, and this is the best one I have ever bought.

How many other ones have you owned?  What were their problems compared to the Explorer?

I have had 3 Rockpals 300’s and 2 Jackery 300’s fail me in the last 15 months

I bought a refurb Rockpals 250w (179Wh, IIRC) for testing three years ago. It was missing a part in the box and when I informed them they sent another complete package. So I had two.

It's an inexpensive unit (no pass-through for inverter use, for example) but has worked as designed since July 2018. I gave away the 2nd unit to another camper and it's still working for them.

Not making guesses about the causes of the failures described above, but in general folks who want long cyclic life out of lithium-chemistry banks might:
  • keep state of charge away from extreme high and extreme low
  • use/store the device at human-comfortable temperatures (not sitting in the sun as ads often show)
  • charge/discharge at moderate rates