Yellowing plastic in old RVs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natgreen

Reaction score
Does anyone know a way to restore or fix it? The toilet and sink in mine are yellow

Google "yellow RV plastic restorer". I have no experience with it, but it's a start for ya.

tell people it's art deco and was yellow from the factory. LOL. in all honesty I don't know what to tell you. highdesertranger

Easy and cheap to do with 40 Volume Cream Developer. You can buy it at a beauty supply store; people use it to bleach their hair. You don't need the powder just the developer and you'll only need a pint. A quart can do the job several times over. Paint it on thick with a disposable brush, put the part into a plastic bag or wrap (preferably clear so the UV light can get through). Leave it out in the sun all day. Come back later wash it off with water and prepare to be amazed!! Unfortunately, the restored bright white only lasts a couple of months and the yellow slowly returns, but at least you know how to get it white again.

plastic RV sinks and toilets are pretty cheap. instead of spending money on temporary fixes I would replace them. in fact I would put a stainless sick and porcelain toilet in and never worry about it again. highdesertranger

Just paint it with a plastic compatible paint. You can bleach it but since the yellowing is a reaction with oxygen then if all you apply is peroxide bleach it will soon yellow again as you have not prevented the reaction of the oxygen the plastic from occurring. Painting the surface is the answer.

Three causes of yellowing of clear and white plastics:
  1. Photo-oxidation.  UV light exposure causes changes in the structure of the polymer.
  2. Heat.  Same process as UV exposure.
  3. Pollution. Some pollutants in the atmosphere will accelerate degradation of the molecular structure.
The degradation can not be reversed; bleaching or painting is putting lipstick on a pig.  The plastic will eventually become brittle.

don't know if painting a toilet or a sink is such a good idea. with the water and all, I think you would just be throwing good money away. highdesertranger

We've had RVs since 1993 and the yellow plastic is something we lived with. We did change out a sink one time because we found a cheap replacement at the RV surplus store in Quartzsite.

Our current RV is over ten years old and although the shower pan has yellow a bit, the Thetford toilet is still white. They must be using a different type of plastic. Our bathroom sink is hammered copper which I don't recommend because it's hard to keep looking good. Our kitchen sinks are brushed stainless steel which is super easy to care for. Replacing both the toilet and sink with something better is the way to go in my opinion.

My School bus had some of this but I just painted over it all when I re painted the interior in Almond colored Rustolium, I used the quart can ~$8 of oil based enamel from home depot and sprayed it with a HVLP air gun. It ended up being almost exactly the color of the original interior paint on the bus so everything matched great. I have yet to see how it holds up long term but it seems to be doing great so far, very strong adhesion to the plastic. Took a few weeks for the paint smell to fully dissipate though. I know in the pool industry it is common to spray paint the large PVC pipes that go to the filter and pump to protect them form degrading and getting brittle. The PVC will sun burn and turn black if left exposed to the elements.

My marine/portable toilet has a yellowed lid except for a white rectangle where the product label was. It was the floor sample at the store and sat out under bright lights which caused the yellowing. I got it for below their cost :) Since it is just the top of the lid that is discolored I could easily spray paint it. But I doubt if I will bother since it lives inside of a cabinet. Such cosmetic defects can save a lot of money when purchasing new equipment.

I chose that model because I can set it up as a regular portable toilet empty method or have it hooked up to a macerator pump. That will let me qualify for LTVA campsites as I did get a pump for it.

I have a 2001 pleasureway. The whole bathroom is plastic. Walls and everything....

Maybe it was the inspiration for the song "Mellow Yellow" and should be valued for how well it has aged. Be thankful if it hasn't cracked and started leaking! LOL!!! I my world something that still functions has value and should only be looked at as an artistic opportunity not replaced.