Yakima Skybox installed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi sl1966. No problem. Entire Yakima setup out the door about $2,500, which includes the 2 Yakima Skyboxes, 1 MegaWarrior, 2 sets of 78" crossbars, plus towers, plus lock and keys for each unit, plus installation cost, plus tax. There is currently a $125 rebate for a new Yakima Skybox 21 purchase, but after reading the fine print language on the rebate form, it appears they will send me some type of credit card instead of a check. I'm sure you can buy this stuff cheaper online, but I value the professional installation and top knotch service I received from a local dealer. There is no way in hay that I can do this on my own!

Hi Ricekila. I completely agree with you about the potential loss in gas mileage. On the other hand, increased interior storage equals PRICELESS! It's like adding extra closet space in the roof, haha! Just today I asked a blue collar guy what gas mileage he gets from his Ford E350 cargo work van, and he told me it's terrible between 8 to 10 miles per gallon because he has lots of stuff inside. I almost gasped! I guess I won't complain about what my Ford E150 van miles per gallon is. I don't know the exact number, but I can tell you that on a full tank of lowest grade gas, I get somewhere between 400 to 425 miles total, maybe up to 450 miles on a full tank. Is this considered good or average?? This is before I installed the Yakima stuff.

Thanks! So, theorhetically speaking, you could carry your entire winter wardrobe and other assorted items that would normally be in a storage unit. Given how expensive storage is in CA those babies will pay for themselves in no time!<br /><br />

O / P dont forget to get a laytex hand and glue it to one edge
eea9c8b8.gif

sl1966, you're welcome! &nbsp;The fact I'm getting immediate and practical usage out of these units means it's already paying for itself! &nbsp;I despise having to put anything into paid storage rentals, just a waste in my opinion. &nbsp;Most storage units in my area are between $100 to 200 monthly, rather expensive in my opinion. &nbsp;I now realize that having a low top van has the advantage of adding these Yakima storage units. &nbsp;I can't imaging trying to add these same Yakima units onto high top vans, because most high top vans I've seen have a wavy/curvy roof design which makes it hard(er) to add the Yakima box, plus the high top roofs don't seem to have the rain gutter design along the sides of the roof in order to add the Yakima cross bar racks. &nbsp;I'm now taking advantage of my low top roof van by being able to add these Yakima boxes! &nbsp;Plus I'm looking into special boxes or storage units that can fit onto the LoadWarrior basket for additional storage space! &nbsp;I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of a rectangular tool box design, or maybe the Yakima roof top expandable/waterproof luggage bag. I don't actually need the additional storage at this time, but I'm just thinking about future needs that I can store clothing and stuff into.<br /><br />Here's the link for the Yakima Luggage Bag that I'm considering for adding to the LoadWarrior basket for additional storage:<br /><a href="http://www.yakima.com/shop/cargo/luggage-bags/farout-pro">http://www.yakima.com/shop/cargo/luggage-bags/farout-pro</a>&nbsp;<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

Something like this might be great for an equipment box... Thinking Prop tank, batteries, maybe even a hot water heater of sorts... interesting.

You guys will think I'm nuts, but I will also be adding a Thule 667ES Excursion Cargo Box on top center of the MegaWarrior basket. My roof will have 3, count 'em 3 cargo boxes! Why the Thule box? Because that particular model is unique in that it opens from the rear instead of the side. This means I can simply step up onto either my newly installed rear hitch with step, or climb onto newly installed rear door ladder to load/unload stuff into the Thule box. I will use the Thule box for light(er) stuff such as clothing and light gear. The Yakima boxes are used for heavy gear. Will post pics in another week when this gets installed.

Kind of like a Ford or Chevy guy, I've been a Yakima guy for twenty years. I love the stuff and haven't owned a vehicle without some kind of Yak rack since the eighties. <br /><br />A hint: no matter what they advertise/say, the boxes can and will get moisture inside. For my extended travel, everything goes in either dry bags or garbage bags. <br /><br />Question: are the hinges on those reversible? I.e., can you access the driver side box *from* the driver side without turning the box facing the other direction, or are you having to crawl over the passenger box to get to the driver box? <br /><br />Measure your roof-to-ground height and mark the onto a post-it on your dash. Low clearances are marked and you don't want to discover one via the sound of shredding polyethylene. Enjoy!

Yes I would also like to know if the hinges are reversible on those boxes too.<br /><br />What is the consensus about possibly losing the ability to stealth camp with those?

<span>(mod note- in attempting to delete one of the duplicate posts, I deleted both of them. Reposting from my email. Sorry Casey)<br /><br />Username: caseyc</span><br /><span>Attachments:&nbsp;</span><br /><span>Subject: Yakima Skybox installed</span><br /><span>Message:&nbsp;</span><br /><span>I'm not sure about the reversible thing. I can tell you there are locks and opening levers on both right and left sides of the box. Is this what you mean? &nbsp;As for stealth, almost everyone and their grandma has either a Yakima or Thule box on their roof for their SUV, as least in my part of the world.</span>

Thats an expensive but very nice setup you have there. I suspect you've got more in that than many here have in their entire rigs.<br /><br />I don't want to get all negative here but consider doing EVERYTHING possible to make them as theft proof as you can. You can only do so much of course. I have some Yakima racks on the top of my car with with a Yakima bike carrier on there and all secured with Yakimas locking Q thingee's and someone came along one night and lifted the whole damn thing off my car. I'm thankful the thief was cool enough to not destroy the roof of my car in the process.

I'm not sure if they just shook it from side to side and pulled it off or carefully pried it off at the Q towers. Bottom line is that a scumbag thief can steal anything if they want it bad enough.

I am out of control! Check out this new pic! I have literally run out of room! The beast keeps growing!

A strong midwestern crosswind will feel... entertaining.

looks like it can get very top heavy in a hurry. bear this in mind when deciding what to load up there.

Latest posts