Hatchback Shelf Installation Idea Thread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarmeCoolidge

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've spent some time in my hatchback with one of my first setups and I learn more and more about what I should do differently.

One thing I've learned is that I need to maximize my space even more. Unfortunately, I can't remove the seats of the current hatchback I own, so I thought to put a shelf in the back to sort of act as my garage.

I've got some ideas and I'll probably end up tweaking as I go with the woodworking/carpentry side of things since I'm not experienced.

The general idea is to use some of the grooves in the plastic to anchor the wooden shelf without having to alter the interior of the car. Here's my current idea:

This square space and hooked space (pictured below) on the plastic seem like a couple of good anchor points to stop it from tipping forward/backward as well as sliding side to side.
yo.jpgyo3.jpg

I plan on having a wooden lip so things don't just fly out. Depending on what I end up putting there, I might install some screw hooks so I can bungee them down to keep it secure.

What I need help with is whether this general plan is functional and how to construct it. Thanks for any and all help you can throw my way! Pictures with wider angles are at the end of the post.

Much love :heart:

Attachments

• yo.jpg
    yo.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • yo1.jpg
    yo1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • yo2.jpg
    yo2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • yo3.jpg
    yo3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • yo4.jpg
    yo4.jpg
    1,001 KB · Views: 2
Cutting something to fit the slots is a good start. The front one is slotted to the back and the back one has a slot to the front. It may have to be a dowel rod that goes all the way across with a wood stiffener. Only you can tell what will fit in those two slots as you didn't provide a make and model for anyone here that has a similar setup could help you with. Use strong bungee cords from the front one to the back one to keep them in the slots. Hopefully this will keep it from flying out. The storage space shade the factory put there works this way.

B and C said:
Only you can tell what will fit in those two slots as you didn't provide a make and model for anyone here that has a similar setup could help you with.

I was planning on measuring and cutting wood to fit them and attaching the shelf platform to the top of the cut wood on either side

You will need to fit the slot/dimple to keep the shelf from flying off in a panic stop.