Yakima Skybox installed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyc

Reaction score
I'm the new proud owner of a Yakima Skybox 21 for my E150 van. I already filled it completely with a pile of stuff! Already thinking of adding a second unit on the other side! A little pricey, but I'm really liking it! I now have more interior space, yahoo! Check out the attached picture.

Casey

I know somebody who would paint it up ---- like Spock's coffin

I don't know if adding this type of box is doable on a high top van. It's already a bit difficult for me to reach the far end of the box without a ladder. I can't imaging trying to reach the far end of the box if this was on a high top. I had to buy a 4 feet high step ladder in order to be able to reach the other side of the box and pack everything efficiently.

I can vouch that this box is large enough to be used as a coffin! It's the "21" model which means 21 cubic feet, which is the largest size that Yakima offers. I'm already itching to add a second Skybox on the other side of the roof so I can travel double-barreled!! Haha!

In the BBC American Nomad's documentary there's a guy traveling all over in a jeep with one of these on top. Turns out he sleeps in it from time to time. It's the perfect way to stealth camp for the night in plain sight.<div><br></div>

Sure, I mean as long as it doesn't hurt the pocketbook. Sometimes it's better to have and not need than the other way around.<div><br></div>

I took your advice about better to have and both added the Yakima LoadWarrior basket, and installed a second Yakima Skybox 21. I am now riding double barreled and have freed up lots of interior space! Check out the revised picture of my new setup.

Nice!&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Edited to add: Wait there's no new pic posted.</div><div><div><br></div></div>

Now I see it. Very nice!!!<div><br></div>

Rear view pic... I am now naming my van the Green Hornet Beast, haha!

I realized now I had to press the Go Advanced button to get the attachment option to add pics.

<table class="nested_invisible_table" border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="100%" height="100%"><tbody><tr><td height="100%" vAlign="top" colSpan="2"><span id="post_message_"><p style="margin: 0px;">Casey,</p><p style="margin: 0px;"> </p><p style="margin: 0px;">That looks cool. Now get some striping paint and draw wing veins on the side and top of your Yakimas ... Green Hornet!</p><p style="margin: 0px;"> </p><p style="margin: 0px;">Bob</p></span> </td></tr><tr><td vAlign="bottom" colSpan="2" align="center"><span style="display: none;" id="loading_"><b>Loading...</b></span><span style="float: right;"></span></td></tr></tbody></table><p><br><br></p>

Can you move the rack as far back as posable - then slide back the pods so there even with the windsheild ?

I'm sure I can move the 2 Skyboxes at least several inches back, but don't know if they can be moved to be flush with the windshield. &nbsp;I would have to move both the MegaWarrior basket back several inches, and then the 2 Skyboxes. &nbsp;Since both the 2 Skyboxes are on its own rack foundation, and the LoadWarrior basket also has its own rack foundation, this means I can move the Skyboxes and MegaWarrior independently of each other. &nbsp;However, it pretty much takes 2 persons to adjust these items since they are so large and heavy, and the installers adjusted the position the way it is now. I pretty much can't adjust the position of these items by myself, and I won't even try. &nbsp;I will give it some time to see if I like the placement of these items, and if not, will go back to the installers to have them make adjustments. &nbsp;On the plus side, the 2 Skyboxes being in front of the windshield act as sun visors for extra shade, haha!<br /><br />

Casey if you don't mind my asking, how much did this set you back? You can PM me if you don't want to post it here in the thread.<br /><br />

I'm thinking air flow = gas milage --<br /><br />Sun shades although nice -- drink gas --<br /><br />I tried to make a air flow chart with MS paint but it aint working the way I want --