Wranglers and Small RVTrailers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacedredd

Reaction score
I am about 7 months out from going full time RVing. Currently I own a 05 Jeep Wrangler w/4.0L engine.  I am looking at getting a Casitas 13' trailer.  Is there anyone one out there that has a similar setup or experience.

Handling in adverse weather conditions, wind/rain/snow/...  If there is ice I will stop... :D 
What the MPG is...
Any gotchas to be aware...
Do I need to do the anti-sway bar...

Anyway thank you in advance....

I haven't seen one with a Casita - though I've seen several Tacoma's tow them no problem. There is a lady that comes to RTR with a similar Wrangler towing a T@B trailer and loves it. I believe she's full time also. The T@B is a little lighter, but not by much. Both are within the towing capacity of a Wrangler.

I am new to this forum.... What is RTR? Also thank you for your reply.

Is your jeep the longer one or the normal length? The biggest problem with towing with a jeep is the short wheelbase.

If you're near Arizona in January, you should definitely try and make it to RTR - Rubber Tramp Rendezvous. You'll meet lots of like minded folks, many with years of experience. And you'll see every kind of rig imaginable to live in, from class A motorhomes to a few Prius's, and everything in between.

Spacedredd said:
I am about 7 months out from going full time RVing. Currently I own a 05 Jeep Wrangler w/4.0L engine.  I am looking at getting a Casitas 13' trailer.  Is there anyone one out there that has a similar setup or experience.

Handling in adverse weather conditions, wind/rain/snow/...  If there is ice I will stop... :D 
What the MPG is...
Any gotchas to be aware...
Do I need to do the anti-sway bar...

Anyway thank you in advance....

You will get very specific answers to your questions, as well as info from people with your exact setup, here:

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/forum/2-the-casita-club-forum/

http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/index.php?

Both forums are very active and have a great breadth of knowledge about the Casita.  There is also a Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CasitaOwners/  If you are active there.  They have a "files" tab at the top that has a tremendous amount of info, including a list of who tows what, with what vehicle.

Queen said:
You will get very specific answers to your questions, as well as info from people with your exact setup, here:

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/forum/2-the-casita-club-forum/

http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/index.php?

Both forums are very active and have a great breadth of knowledge about the Casita.  There is also a Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CasitaOwners/  If you are active there.  They have a "files" tab at the top that has a tremendous amount of info, including a list of who tows what, with what vehicle.

Its funny you talk about the Casita Club...  I am waiting to get approval for posting. However I didn't know about casitaforum I will visiting that one next.

Thank you,

Had a 13' Casita from when UHaul decided to get out of the camping trailer rental business.  Towed it with a 4.0L v6 Ford Taurus station wagon (bumper bolt on) and barely knew it was there except in high winds or uphill.  Well, gas mileage let you know it was there, but not by much.

Durable, easy to take care of, well thought out design, had everything you need except for a shower.  You can still find'em from that era, and for about the same price.  Shop carefully to get a good price and they keep their value really well.  The fiberglass  construction really holds together.  Just gotta check the floor underneath - if they've been on the road a few years you might run into some rotting.

Only two issues, and they may not be relevant to you.  Those front 'bunks' along the front that fold down into a 'coach' were too small to sleep on once the kids hit about age 10, and too small to really get comfortable sitting.  The upper 'bunk' foam gets kinda warped when it's kept folded down against the curved front of the trailer.  Kinda hard to repurpose into storage, too.

When the rear dinette table and cushions are set up for sleeping, that foam is really stiff so you need a topper, and it's also not quite long enough if you're over 6, even sleeping diagonally.  

Hope it works out well for you.

Vacilador said:
Had a 13' Casita from when UHaul decided to get out of the camping trailer rental business.  Towed it with a 4.0L v6 Ford Taurus station wagon (bumper bolt on) and barely knew it was there except in high winds or uphill.  Well, gas mileage let you know it was there, but not by much.

Durable, easy to take care of, well thought out design, had everything you need except for a shower.  You can still find'em from that era, and for about the same price.  Shop carefully to get a good price and they keep their value really well.  The fiberglass  construction really holds together.  Just gotta check the floor underneath - if they've been on the road a few years you might run into some rotting.

Only two issues, and they may not be relevant to you.  Those front 'bunks' along the front that fold down into a 'coach' were too small to sleep on once the kids hit about age 10, and too small to really get comfortable sitting.  The upper 'bunk' foam gets kinda warped when it's kept folded down against the curved front of the trailer.  Kinda hard to repurpose into storage, too.

When the rear dinette table and cushions are set up for sleeping, that foam is really stiff so you need a topper, and it's also not quite long enough if you're over 6, even sleeping diagonally.  

Hope it works out well for you.
Vacilador,

Thank you for the insight.  I am looking at the Patriot 13' Deluxe, no bunk beds, but has a lavatory. I looked at an Airstream Base Camp last night.  WOW!!! $37K kind of wow.  Just a wee bit out of my budget.... Anyway thank you again for the insight.

Actually, the small TT rented by U Haul were made for them by Burro out of San Diego. Burro went bust back in 2000, taking a lot of their customer's deposit money with them.

I have had a 17' Casita since 1999. Almost flawless all these years. High quality and first class all the way. You won't be disappointed.

speedhighway46 said:
Actually, the small TT rented by U Haul were made for them by Burro out of San Diego.  Burro went bust back in 2000, taking a lot of their customer's deposit money with them.

I have had a 17' Casita since 1999. Almost flawless all these years. High quality and first class all the way. You won't be disappointed.

I pull a a small trailer with my 04.  The wrangler is rated at 2,000 lbs towing capacity    but I can tell you I have several trailers and pull a little over 1,300 and the Jeep was begging for help.   I also pull a MYPOD  which is about 500 lbs dry and about 700lbs and it pull ok.   Tongue weight is an issued with Jeeps so keeping the weight of the rear is advise.   Also a great thing to do to your Jeep is to install an ARB OLD MAN EMU HEAVY suspension set that will give you about 2 inch lift

Attachments

• 11029943_10204708620900640_8227837830731811598_n.jpg
    11029943_10204708620900640_8227837830731811598_n.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 13