Would it be a bad idea to tap off my mounted LP tank to run an aux line inside?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to see a picture with an extend-a-stay or some type of T fitting installed on a permanent mount tank.  Still a long day before I get home.  Everyone knows I am retiring and are not giving me much work to do so I play on this forum...
Doing as little as possible, slowly.....

B and C said:
I would love to see a picture with an extend-a-stay or some type of T fitting installed on a permanent mount tank.
Home made "Extend-a-stay".

This is just what was done for the old Class C back in 2006. It is still in use now. The rubber hoses have been changed often. Your actual fittings may vary. Ours is periodically adapted to fit what ever hose for the grill that we are using. I have a box of brass LP fittings. A 100LB tank can be used with my set up. Just need a longer hose. This set up was made to run 20LB tanks AND a gas grill (outside). I use GAS quick connects. To run off of the 40LB tank, you first need LP in the tank (this particular tank has not been filled since 2009) and the quick connect with the red gas valve would be the line to your self-regulated appliance. Not necessarily those same connections. The "T" in the line between the tank and the regulator is simply a brass T with yellow LP gas teflon tape on it. I like the gas lines to be valved.

20151111_085511_zpsur0bkoy4.jpg

20151111_085633_zps3gheigzx.jpg

The actual "extend-a-stay" T that we made. I prefer this one because I could add the gas shutoff valves
PIC_3777.jpg

thanks Compassrose. I know it can be done the pictures help a lot to explain how to do it. btw the top pic on the permanent tank is a POL fitting. highdesertranger

Finally remembered to take pictures.  I need to wash that tank  :blush:

I guess my tank does have a POL fitting on it after all.  It took a camera to see it better:

Hose and Main Valve.jpg

Might be a little tough to get one of those extend-a-stays on there, it is tight:

Hose to Regulator.jpg

My fill inlet is really funky:

Fill Point.jpg

It might be doable after all and my tank appears to be close to empty.  Perfect time to have it done.  I think I will take it to my normal propane fill place and see if they can do it or recommend someone.  Is there a reasonable place in Q to have this done?  I will need to get some propane in there if it is cold for the trip.  The big freeze on I-10 in West Texas last year was brutal and a LOT of wrecks.

Thanks for making me take another look at it.

Attachments

• Hose and Main Valve.jpg
    Hose and Main Valve.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Hose to Regulator.jpg
    Hose to Regulator.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Fill Point.jpg
    Fill Point.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 5
The tank fill inlet is a different connection (& location) than where the LP flows from the tank to the regulator. That long thingy to sticks out is the quick connect.

I've had a slightly different thought: I wonder if it would be easier/safer to home brew the extend-a-stay on my mounted tank along with the adapter for filing 1lb tanks, and just refill them there rather than plumb another gas line inside.

TMG51 said:
I've had a slightly different thought: I wonder if it would be easier/safer to home brew the extend-a-stay on my mounted tank along with the adapter for filing 1lb tanks, and just refill them there rather than plumb another gas line inside.

Refilling the 1 lb tanks requires that liquid be put into the 1 lb tank.  This is normally done by inverting a 20 lb tank to let the liquid out to fill the tank.  Your onboard propane tank with an extend-a-stay would only be putting out vapor....