Alternative to very expensive trailer mount shower

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water in the desert attracts lots of bugs and bees not to mention other critters. If you dump more than a few drops of gray water on the ground you will probably get really dirty again moving camp several hundred feet. LOL!!!

One of the most important considerations for me has always been being able to take a daily shower. For than reason, traveling/living in something more basic than an RV has always seemed like a nonstarter. That said, it seems kind of wasteful to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on the ability to take a shower when there are so many cheaper alternatives:

1. A shower tent removes the need to have a setup attached to or inside your vehicle--plus, you have more room.

2. A solar shower can be really nice.

3. In times of extremity, get out the baby wipes, heat up a bucket of water, grab a sponge--you might be surprised at how much better you feel after wiping down your naughty bits and washing your hair.

4. You could alternate the above with a truck stop or KOA shower every second or third day, and the expense wouldn't be that great.

5. Many campgrounds have shower facilities, and you can usually use them for a small fee even if you're not camping there. For instance, Oregon State Parks will charge you $2.

Aside from the expense, lugging along enough water for showers and storing and disposing of the wastewater present logistical and practical difficulties that just aren't worth it. You talk to people living LA Vida Van for any length of time, and their preferred method of dealing with the shower problem is usually, "Well, I stink for a few days." So if that doesn't work for you, the above suggestions may be helpful.

There is a company (I won't mention the name so as not to be accused of spamming, as I only joined just now) that makes trailer hitch mount portable bathrooms. However, they run an exorbitant amount of money, equal to the cost of a good quality older van.

I was wondering if there are any more economical alternatives to this that aren't just pop up solar shower tents. I'm very sensitive about body hygiene, and can't go a day without showering without feeling miserable and greasy. I don't want to build a shower inside a cramped van and worry about leakage and whatnot, so would love to get a portable contained wet bath, with tanks and hot water heater, that mounts onto the back of my van. Are there any companies that make this kind of stuff that have economical options? I'm thinking around the $5000 price point would be more reasonable, the one I found is at least twice that.

Thanks.
Our shower equipment and shower procedure:
2003, we converted a 1996 Ford CF8000 commercial truck to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
I removed the roll-down door off the rear, then fabricated a steel wall with a steel door for a rear entry... complete with porch and roof over the porch.
The porch deck is expanded metal, similar to stout window-screen.
(For our bed platform, I used this expanded metal under the mattress for ventilation, hopefully reducing mold potential.)
For a shower, we hook a shower-curtain to the porch roof... and get to going.
One piece of equipment, multiple uses.
Carrying enough water:
We carry water in stainless-steel five-gallon retired Pepsi® kegs.
Advantage over a big fixed permanent frame-mount tank:
* divisable -- a couple-three go to town with our caravan chums for re-fill while the rest stay in camp
* if one gets stanky, the others remain usable
* one keg can go to the picnic-table or campfire
* a keg can be loaned to a caravan chum
* modular -- our standard load is seven (7) kegs in the rig; the toy-hauler I fabricated on a similar commercial chassis can easily tote a couple-three dozen more kegs.
For hot showers, we use a dedicated three-gallon 'Torpedo' keg, a miniature of the Pepsi© kegs.
We heat the three gallons using a kitchen 'sous vide' circulation heater.
A quick puff from a bicycle-tire pump, and a refreshing shower magically happens through a kitchen sink sprayer.
An aside:
A brainiac caravan chum calculated the photovoltaic required to top our bank for a nice shower.
About fifteen minutes mid-day.
I try really hard to not complicate our gear and procedures.

For my shower, I have a collapsible plastic dog bathtub I place in the middle of my van's floor near the side door. I boil a pan of water on the stove and pour it into a bucket of cold water, making the temperature just right. Then I stick my 12v water pump into the bucket with its hose connected to an RV shower head and wash clean again. Of course, some water splashes out due to no wall or curtain, but those small splashes are easy to wipe up with a towel after showering. To me, my method seems far preferable to a walk-in shower due to the large amount of space it continues to consume all the time while you are busy doing other things. By contrast, my shower then folds up and tucks out of sight. Think what else you can do with all that space without a shower stall! As for me, I use that space for a portable clothes washer/spinner, meaning I don't need to visit a laundry either! My high ceiling has 60 permanent hooks mounted into it for drying all clothes with a cross-breeze from my 12v fan. So I stay a truly "happy camper."

I bought the Geyser portable shower (without heater). I boil water, pour it into the unit, and add cool water to that. It plugs into a 12V socket in the van and has a replaceable integrated sponge. I use it with a shower tent outside of the van. I haven't used it, yet, but have high expectations.

1647520790192.png

I bought the Geyser portable shower (without heater). I boil water, pour it into the unit, and add cool water to that. It plugs into a 12V socket in the van and has a replaceable integrated sponge.
Please give us a review after you've used it a few times. I'm considering getting one, but I've heard complaints about it working with lukewarm water temperature at best. I look forward to hearing your experienced opinion.