Would it be a bad idea to tap off my mounted LP tank to run an aux line inside?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
I have a 40lb propane tank mounted underneath the van. It feeds my stove top, water heater, refrigerator, water heater, and furnace. Sometimes though when it's rainy and cold for days (like this week) I prefer to heat by running a small table top grill because I don't want to use my battery for the furnace when there's no direct sunlight. Also I assume this uses less propane because I'm heating a small area directly versus exchanging all the air in the van (even if I'm also building up moisture and CO - which is why I don't do it all the time). However I have to run the grill off 1lb cylinders which are more expensive. So tapping off the mounted tank for the grill would seem the best of both worlds.

If I did this, I would cut one of the lines going to an appliance in the van, T off from it using flared fittings, and adapt from my T one of those rubber hoses that has the same fitting on it as the 1lb cylinder top. Obviously with a shut off in there somewhere so I can disconnect it.

Is there anything I'm missing that makes that a bad idea? I'm assuming the regulator on the grill is sufficient and that there isn't any difference in pressure. Not sure if it would affect insurance.

And yes I could run a 20lb tank inside too but I don't want to take up that much room.

Apparently it supplies my water heater twice.

ok you don't need to cut anything. does your grill have a regulator on it? if it does, there is an adaptor/tee. you install it before your regulator on your RV. one side screws into your tank and the existing line screws into the other side. then you just run your line inside. another note they also make a quick connector, looks like an air fitting but is dedicated for propane for easy hook up. highdesertranger

You cannot use the existing lines inside from the tank outside.  All the lines from the tank have already gone through a pressure regulator.  You cannot run a pressure regulator behind a pressure regulator.

HDR has the right answer.  You need a T in the high pressure side and a high pressure hose to connect to your stove inside.  I would not personally recommend this as you now have an unregulated high pressure hose coming in from the outside with the cut off valve outside.  This may work if it was run to the inside using something besides a hose to get it there (think pipe) with a cut off where you attach the hose.  Still not recommended but you could check with your local gas dealer to see if they would do it for you.  If anything happened and you started spewing propane, you have to get out (probably a good idea anyway) and run around to cut it off at the tank.  Better to have the cut off right there where you are using it.  There are small refillable tanks that would not take up much room and have much less potential for problems and probably cost less than running pipe.

Normally I just use a heat diffuser over one of my stove burners.  Works great...

330692648857.jpg

So I can't tap off the existing lines - good point, I hadn't thought that part through. I'm not sure where I would connect to before that point. I guess I'll have to look at how it's regulated from the tank.

Were I to do this, I suppose it would only make sense to use black iron pipe? I would include a shut off somewhere inside. Although that quick connect option is interesting as well.

compassrose said:

Okay I know you love linking to propane101 but I'm aware that it is a hazard having a tank in the living space. As I'm sure you're aware, some people here do it anyway, and my comment was to opt out before someone might suggest it.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Normally I just use a heat diffuser over one of my stove burners.  Works great...

330692648857.jpg

I would simply use my stove top, too, except my stove is on the other side of the van from where I sit to work... It may only be a difference of 8' but I can heat the immediate area around where I'm sitting without heating the whole interior... (I've come to learn my class B is not well insulated!)

TMG51 said:
So I can't tap off the existing lines - good point, I hadn't thought that part through. I'm not sure where I would connect to before that point. I guess I'll have to look at how it's regulated from the tank.

Were I to do this, I suppose it would only make sense to use black iron pipe? I would include a shut off somewhere inside. Although that quick connect option is interesting as well.

Okay I know you love linking to propane101 but I'm aware that it is a hazard having a tank in the living space. As I'm sure you're aware, some people here do it anyway, and my comment was to opt out before someone might suggest it.
I will stop linking to propane 101. You will probably object to this too but it is acceptable practice to use the soft copper tubing and flare connections.

And I have "T"ed off of a 40lb tank under the Class C. In other words I built my own "extend a stay". I used it to run the Class C off of 20LB tanks but it could also have been used to run the grill off of the 40lb tank. You need to "T" in between the 40LB tank and the regulator. Hard pipe thru the floor with a shut off. Copper between the "T" and the hard pipe. I suggest you invest in an extra shut off at the "T" for the copper pipe. But I am a bit fond of having shut off valves everywhere I might need to shut down a gas line for some reason. I run separate tanks for my self regulated stuff.

TMG51 said:
I would simply use my stove top, too, except my stove is on the other side of the van from where I sit to work... It may only be a difference of 8' but I can heat the immediate area around where I'm sitting without heating the whole interior... (I've come to learn my class B is not well insulated!)

If I didn't want to heat my whole van, I believe I would just use a 12v electric blanket...

:at: TMG51 - Make sure this will fit your application before purchase.  You have a permanently mounted tank IIRC.  So do I and these won't fit mine without modifications.  These are made for RV's/trailers that have a standard propane tank like on your gas grill at home - the 20 lb tanks.  I have looked into extend-a-stays and I would no be comfortable installing one myself.  I am considering getting a propane shop of some kind to install one for me because I think my propane will be the next limiting factor before I have to move.

of course make sure it fits. they make them for permanent tanks as well. just do you homework. both those sites I linked to have multiple fittings and there are others. highdesertranger

I wasn't trying to dis anyone :huh:  The links provided show fittings common to the 20lb tanks.  My permanent tank has a high pressure hose about 6" long that goes to the regulator.  I haven't figured out a good way to mount a T (or found a T) with a high pressure hose on both ends.  I guess it would really have to be a high pressure hose on all the ends.  It still looks like I am going to have to find me a propane shop :(

B and C said:
I wasn't trying to dis anyone :huh:  The links provided show fittings common to the 20lb tanks.  My permanent tank has a high pressure hose about 6" long that goes to the regulator.  I haven't figured out a good way to mount a T (or found a T) with a high pressure hose on both ends.  I guess it would really have to be a high pressure hose on all the ends.  It still looks like I am going to have to find me a propane shop :(

I was a commercial plumber, and with some things I recommend having someone with big liability insurance do it.  Such as this.  

A shop can grab the right fittings so it is done safely.  Entirely too many rigs burn up because someone wanted to save a couple bucks.  I can point you to the proper fittings, but a shop would do a complete safety check.  Something that is impossible over the net. 

spend the money and stay safe.

highdesertranger said:
no dis taken just do some research.  this is for permanently mounted tanks I think,  the fittings are out there you just need to look.  https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/Camco/CAM59103.html .  highdesertranger

Thanks for trying.  I do not have a regular POL? fitting like on a 20lb tank.  My fill is POL but my valve on the tank does not turn off the POL fitting.  It turns off the hose going to the regulator and the hose has an entirely different fitting.

To fill, I turn off the one valve on the tank which kills all propane flowing to appliances (before arriving at the fueling place).  The propane guy sticks his fill hose in the POL fitting and proceeds to fill the tank while he loosens a little bitty valve (a couple of times they have used a small pliers for this).  When Propane spits out that itty bitty valve, he closes it and then shuts off and disconnects his hose.

I'll show you the setup at the RTR.  I have never seen anything like it but have never had or seen up close a permanent tank either.

can you post a pic of your supply line? I know we can figure this out. highdesertranger

Don't see any reason you can't get tee'd off.I have a regulator on my house tank and all the appliances are tee'd off of the main supply.Some have a regulator,like the stove and water heater and some don't,like the wall heaters.

I get teed off all the time :D

Went to bed after posting.  I will take pics when I get home.