Working from home computer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_sharp_24

Reaction score
<P>My husband's work can be done via computer, but his connection has to be reliable. Can you share your experiences as regards expense and reliability? And, do most RV parks now have free wifi?</P>

depending on the work, I would worry about using a WiFi connection for security reasons.. I've used an Aircard for a few years now, and had no problems at all.<br /><br /><br />
j_sharp_24 said:
<p>My husband's work can be done via computer, but his connection has to be reliable. Can you share your experiences as regards expense and reliability? And, do most RV parks now have free wifi?</p>

Depending on the kind of work and connection required by your hubby, there are many possible answers. If that computer connection is your bread and butter you'd be best off having mutiple forms of mobile internet broadband access available. Where one works, another may not, and this is why you might need to subscribe to more than one provider. The coverage area and cost varies along the lines of which provider and/or plan you choose. Again this is dependant on how reliable you need that connection to be.<br /><br />Most, not all, RV parks offer wifi with the connections ranging from excellent to it being so bad you'd be better off using carrier pigeons. There are plenty RV review sites that will tell you who offers what and how well each amenity rates.&nbsp;<br /><br />There are also plenty of places that offer free wifi like McDonalds or coffee shops, but reliability can still vary. I hope this covers it for you.<br /><br />

Thanks you guys! He does have an aircard, so maybe that'll be his answer. I'm technologically impaired, lol...but I definitely like to use my computer and kinda hope I may find some virtual assistant-type work while on the road.

Use a 4G/3G hotspot from Sprint (Overdrive Pro): 6gb for $50 a month. No longer have wifi at the house. Suits our requirements perfectly, and can connect 6 devices - including a wireless printer - at once. DW can check her sites and&nbsp; I can check mine without fighting over the computer (IPads) lol. The Overdrive also works as a network with a data card for storage.<br /><br />Sprint uses Verizon networdk at no additional charge when out of the Sprint area.

Thanks for the additional responses you guys! Now I'll share this info with my DH, as my techno knowledge is somewhat limited, lol!

I use a Millinicom aircard, used to have verizon.. i pay 60 a month for 20g, and breaks have been pretty much nonexistant. &nbsp;it's not uncommon for me to be online 10 hours a day.<br /><br /><br />
blkjak said:
<span style="font-size: xx-small; font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><strong>i worked online for five years 10-12 hours a day download writing....</strong></span><br /><br /><span style="font-size: xx-small; font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><strong>i did not track data download quantitys because i was hardwired 'dsl"....</strong></span><br /><br /><span style="font-size: xx-small; font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><strong>i now have a 4g digital card and i can use up easily, casual use....</strong></span><br /><br /><span style="font-size: xx-small; font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><strong>i Pay $60 for 4g and need to go to 10g for $90 for my casual use....</strong></span><br /><br /><span style="font-size: xx-small; font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><strong>i could not use an air card to work because of connection breaks....</strong></span><br /><span style="font-size: xx-small; font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><strong><br />blkjak....</strong></span>

I've got a millenicom usb stick and an eternal antenna and amplifier.&nbsp; It works where I can get a verizon signal.&nbsp; (some millenicom plans are on sprint instead)<br />I managed to screw up the settings on the card so it isn't working anymore until I can get it reinitialized on a windows system or mac.&nbsp; (I only use linux.)

Yep, Blars was the one that exposed me to Millenicom.. Hope you can figure out how to fix yourself!<br /><br /><br />
blars said:
I've got a millenicom usb stick and an eternal antenna and amplifier.&nbsp; It works where I can get a verizon signal.&nbsp; (some millenicom plans are on sprint instead)<br />I managed to screw up the settings on the card so it isn't working anymore until I can get it reinitialized on a windows system or mac.&nbsp; (I only use linux.)

Latest posts