Workamping Jobs and Living In a Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanman2300

Reaction score
Are there many workamping jobs that will hire if you happen to live out of a van rather than an RV? Many seem to want a picture of yourself and the RV.

Second related question is that many offers are looking for couples so what would be a good way of teaming up? The reason I'm curious is there are some exceedingly good paying offers but there must be two people available to work.

I think the 1 site = 2 workers is the driving force behind that...

vanman2300 said:
Second related question is that many offers are looking for couples so what would be a good way of teaming up? The reason I'm curious is there are some exceedingly good paying offers but there must be two people available to work.

I think you've posted this is the wrong section.   :D  Kidding of course.

I've been workamping since 2003 and I've found......
Every place is different for both questions.

Some will do vans and even tents
(or I live in a tent but I have a van works for some that won't do vandwellers and then set up a tent and sleep in the van!)
Check out National park concessionasires too , they usually offer a site or dorm rooms . So even if you don't have a van yet there are jobs waiting for you to call !

On the couple only places ,if you like the place , apply anyway and they might pick you if they can't find enough couples.
If you don't ask , you'll never know!
Ive sometimes placed ads for workamper looking for partner (in Workamper News) to work a couples only place and found someone for two different places......

Also very different compensation offered from place to place .
I've seen 40 hours each per couple just for the site and you pay electric , all the way to full pay for every hour plus perks and everywhere in between.

I've also had places that I worked for their std. offer and next year they asked me to return at a much better deal.......

I can get you a job tomorrow in the Sierras of Caifornia. I did it for 3 years and really liked it. The problem is you have to drive your own vehicle and they don't reimburse you enough. I liked the job so much I kept going back anyway. You'll be paid for every hour you work and get a free site. No hookups, water is from a stream next to your site, and vault toilets. It's minimum wage in California which has been going up, probably over $9 an hour now.

If you're interested I can email my old boss and put you in touch with him. It's on this page listed under the Sierra NF, Buck Meadow Campground.
http://www.clm-services.com/employment/job-openings
Bob

akrvbob said:
I  can get you a job tomorrow in the Sierras of Caifornia. I did it for 3 years and really liked it. The problem is you have to drive your own vehicle and they don't reimburse you enough. I liked the job so much I kept going back anyway. You'll be paid for every hour you work and get a free site. No hookups, water is from a stream next to your site, and vault toilets. It's minimum wage in California which has been going up, probably over $9 an hour now.

If you're interested I can email my old boss and put you in touch with him. It's on this page listed under the Sierra NF, Buck Meadow Campground.
http://www.clm-services.com/employment/job-openings
Bob

Hi Bob,

I've got solar and can store 15 gallons.  All I would need is a place to refill water that's close and a place to throw away trash.  Do the sites that have no water or sewage have locations close by to take care of those tasks?

I think the idea of working in the middle of nowhere sounds awesome!

Yes, the main campground is about 6 miles away and you can fill your water there, I filled my jugs on my days off and that always lasted me the week. My dog drank from the creek so that was a lot of water. All my campgrounds had dumpsters so your trash goes there. The sierras is a thick and very tall forest, I had a hard time getting enough solar.

You have no communications, no cell, no internet, no phone, no radio. The main campground is 6 miles away and it has internet and phone and all the employees can get on it. 

I loved it there, and like I said I did it three years in a row.  
Bob

Thank you Bob. I'm planning ahead for this winter and further in the future. I appreciate your offer of help. I'm planning on eventually getting out to the southwest/west so if you won't mind I would like to take you up on your help in the future. I like the remoteness and unplugged nature of that job. I can see why you worked it for 3 years. When I get out to AZ I'd like to make my first stop one of the RTR meetings. Or at least swing by and introduce myself.

Sounds good. I get down to the Quartzsite area in November and 'm there till March, stop by anytime.
Bob