woodstove in van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is more then a couple of threads on the subject. when I build my toy hauler I am planning for a wood burner. for a van it would have to be a very small stove, but if done right I could see it working. highdesertranger

I met a fellow with a pickup truck with a his quarters built in he bed.

His rig looked like this one only with a fixed roof. (it doesn't fold down)  He had pulled the original V8 and put a small inline Perkins Diesel in it with a 5 spd manual transmission.  Claimed he go great fuel mileage with it.

It was clear to me that this guy was about efficiency.   Even his wood burner used very little wood.

A-Frame-Camper-for-Pickup-Trucks-1-450x376.png

He had what looked like a miniature Pot Belly Wood Burner in it with a cooking top.   He said he thought it was a Store Display Sample that hardware stores once had.   He got it on eBay he said as he thought it would fit in the corner,  make enough heat, and serve his purposes just fine .  I thought it might have come off the Caboose of a Train.

He had a plastic bin with a lid he kept small cuts of fire wood in along with a small bag of Matchlight charcoal briquettes to use for kindling.  Said it was all he would ever need.   He had a bed the size of a cot,  this stove,
several boxes and plastic bins.  Rather minimalist,  but he was just fine with it.  

dc8ac953943d37840cbda8d1e9aaf9c0.jpg

Yes I have heard of folks using tiny tot wood burners the same kind they use in boats. They say the dry heat don't build condensation like propane can cuz it burns dry and also heats every thing up very fast with little wood or even special chunk coal. In a pinch even charcoal for the grill would OK but very messy

Nicest one I saw was made from a 20 Lb Lp tank. I think I saw it in a van featured in one of Loyd Kahn's more recent Shelter books on mobile dwellings. I'd love to have one in my cargo trailer, but the way I have it arranged there just isn't anyplace to put it with enough clearance, other than smack dab in the middle of the walkway. Maybe if I ever build version 2.0 I'll make sure I have a spot. I actually saw one in Four Wheel pop up camper with a removable stove pipe once, but it was on top of the counter and took up to much space.

One Awesome Inch said:
Problem with a wood stove is you have to restoke it every 3 hours.

Oh it's not a problem, it's a labor of love!  It's that meditative glow of the flames that is soooo relaxing and cozy that makes tossing in a few chunks completely worth it.  I'll be starting on my ammo can wood stove next month!

be sure to include the build and use here and pics would be great. highdesertranger

Will do! I order the glass for the door next month, that will take the longest. As soon as it arrives my neighbor starts cutting! I'll get the pics up on my blog as I take them.