wood on wheels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gargoyle

Reaction score
First I've seen of this incredibly talented craftsmen.
Looks like a Sprinter van that is getting a beautiful interior.
Videos are longish and he is foreign (heavy accent) but his hands on woodworkings are out of this world. :cool:
He has a really nice looking woodstove too.

[video=youtube]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMRkAAEZdQQ[/video]

Fast forward to the 10:00 mark for the reveal...unless you really like watching a guy sand wood.

I've watched that before...I remember him saying something like he sanded that countertop for 10 hours. I never could figure that one out..

It is a nice looking build.
Most of that is cedar closet liner.(1/4" T&G) I've used it a lot in the past , if you think it looks great you ought to smell it ! (I still have some cut off ends from a walk in I did in Nashville that I put in my kitchen drawers for the fragrance.) If anyone want's to use it . You can get it at Lowes or HD and it's real easy to work with.
10 hours on the top ??? Not sure if it's cedar too but looks like softwood must have been un planed and used a hand sanding block !

BradKW said:
I've watched that before...I remember him saying something like he sanded that countertop for 10 hours. I never could figure that one out..

I can easily understand it, especially if one went a bit too aggressive initially  with the 36 to 60 grit sandpaper and the scratches are hard to remove, and one is caught up in the beauty of the wood.

I would not use cedar or pine for a countertop though, Too soft.

These are western red Cedar.  I've got one in progress after a 10 year hiatus of building them.  Only been working on it for 19 months.
DSC04886copy_zps04d0695b.jpg

I've put nothing close to that level of effort into my Van's interior.

gargoyle said:
First I've seen of this incredibly talented craftsmen.
Looks like a Sprinter van that is getting a beautiful interior.
Videos are longish and he is foreign (heavy accent) but his hands on woodworkings are out of this world. :cool:
He has a really nice looking woodstove too.

[video=youtube]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMRkAAEZdQQ[/video]

Fast forward to the 10:00 mark for the reveal...unless you really like watching a guy sand wood.

That's so beautiful, I'd be afraid to use it.

IIRC, that countertop is Larch wood...I googled it and it's a conifer similar to fir, and seems there's european varieties that are harder.

I never would have guessed larch. The grain is really nice.
I would have gone contrasting hardwood like maple (or walnut I LOVE walnut!).
And 1/2" ply with veneer and a built up edge to cut down on weight...but that's just me.
Thinking more about that , maybe more cedar liner with a layer of pour top !

It seems counterproductive but skipping grit grades isn't a good idea , go into it knowing you're going to use all of them and it will come out great ! (And DON'T sand across the grain.)

SternWake said:
I can easily understand it, especially if one went a bit too aggressive initially  with the 36 to 60 grit sandpaper and the scratches are hard to remove, and one is caught up in the beauty of the wood.

I would not use cedar or pine for a countertop though, Too soft.

Pine has so many varieties but has been lumped into the same category by most everyone. I think it's the most under rated and understood wood.  There are a few species that make excellent flooring with far better durability than the soft white pine most everyone is used too.  Red pine (also known as Norway Pine) and pitch pine would make for some good counter tops.  It's no maple, but it holds up very well.  I've done quite a few Red Pine floors for people that hated their white pine floors and they are still enjoying them many years later.  Installing them in my living room and kitchen as we speak actually.

Nice surfboards by the way.

For those that enjoy fine craftsmanship and wood working:

I can't watch the vid right now but Dick Proeneke was one amazing guy.
"Alone in the Wilderness" is probably on Y tube somewhere.
I've got a copy of both of his videos on my video HDD.

The cedar did look like a high grade for liner but didn't know if they might be using it.
A lot has changed since my Fine Woodworking days.
Hand rubbing is a slow process but sure is worth it if you have the time......

BradKW said:

Similar to doing a fine gun stock, finer and finer grades of sanding. Also, wetting the wood to raise fibers between sanding and filling pours. To get that good of a finish takes a lot of work. A build like this is more about the craftsmanship that goes into it rather then building a practical camper, it's a work of art.

Very few appreciate that, it's why I gave up my efforts in fine woodworking back in the 70s ....
so I could begin my music career where different people ignored my efforts ! Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh