Wood crafts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanLifeCrisis

Reaction score
ive started doing some wood sign making and experimenting with other crafts. So far ive made about 60 bucks from signs (minus costs), sold 2 on my etsy shop and 1 locally through fb. I suspect the etsy ones were last min xmas gifts.

I really like doing it, but not sure its viable. i know at least one person mentioned doing similar, i was wondering if anyone had advice on getting more sales. Im thinking flee markets might be option but ive never sold at one so im clueless how that all works.
51a88da568c1f047cd133348a2ee9bec.jpg

VanLifeCrisis said:
ive started doing some wood sign making and experimenting with other crafts.    So far ive made about 60 bucks from signs (minus costs), sold 2 on my etsy shop and 1 locally through fb.  I suspect the etsy ones were last min xmas gifts.  

I really like doing it, but not sure its viable. i know at least one person mentioned doing similar, i was wondering if anyone had advice on getting more sales.  Im thinking flee markets might be option but ive never sold at one so im clueless how that all works.

I've seen signs like the one in your picture sold in Gander Mountain and Cabelas stores.

Do you have to buy patterns, or can you make your own designs?

If you have some designs suitable for automotive/motorcycles (What Happens in the Garage Stays in the Garage?)  Then car shows and swap meets might be profitable places to sell.

I think the key is to not be offering the same stuff that everyone else is selling.  Unique, clever designs are your best bet.

Think outside the box a bit.  Could you attend Civil War Reenactments and sell replicas of regimental crests or something like that?

Regards
John

i can make my own patterns, i also have designs that ive converted into vectors, with permission from the company, from embroidery patterns (like the deer one above).

I thought about a motorcycle one before, thanks for reminding me. How do you find these meets, ive only seen the big bikers for babes one.

The civil war thing is interesting, they do the battle of bulltown reenactment about an hour from here.

My parents started a wood crafting business to supplement our income and I spent untold hours between ages of 10-16 working for my allowance doing production in shop. It started out small making marionettes, mom sewing the legs/necks.etc, dad making the wood body parts. Sold like hotcakes at craft shows. Evolved into custom cabinetry, toll painting, antique replicas, and everything in between.

There's as much money to be made in this as a person is willing to spend time producing. Craft Shows are a solid bet...they range from flea market style to juried selections. I think that in order to take it from a hobby that makes a few bucks to something that generates real income, you'd need to be able to store materials, finished product, etc...

yeah storage is an issue, ive dedicated my front passenger seat to product storage and a largish bin in back to tools and materials. Im not lookin to get rich just get by. Vandweller 'get by' mind you :)

Set up at a decent flea market and lay out your wares and work on one while you are there. Draw a crowd, show that your items are hand made, sell out of inventory.

Don't know if that's possible but would be fun to do if it is.

I used to make crafts to use up my construction and cabinetmaking scraps. Birdhouses, mirrors, small planters in deer, moose, goose, apple, heart shapes, toys, rubber band guns......
Typically I worked on them off season and between projects, keeping an inventory to be sold on consignment Sept- Dec.
Best sales were in those months
Beware of consignment shops as 98% fail within 2 years, and most do not cover "shop wear", damage or pilferage.
I found $10 or less were the best sellers.

Unique is the key, you can not compete with China, or Grandpa doing it for something to do.

There was an interesting guy on the forums years ago who spent time fishing and making "fairy houses" with interesting pieces of drift wood. He sold them at boat launches where he spent most of his days... think his handle was Roger59- he may have disappeared with the crash of the old forum.

Sign making on site at carnivals and events with lots of kids seems to be lucrative, if you can stand the pressure....

Good luck.

Doing it on the spot for customers... im not sure im that fast!

Rugster, that probably would work if i had a genny or power or something. I wonder how flea market owner would feel about noise tho.

Rugster is right!

When you go to a flea market...or wherever you do set-up, always work on something while you're there. People LOVE watching someone do arts and crafts in person, and it's a great way to stir up interest in your product.

(for example)...when I work at a motorcycle rally, once I have my both set-up and my examples and portfolios are out for viewing, I'll pull out an old helmet and just start pinstriping on it. In no time at all, someone will come up to watch, and inevitably they'll inquire about getting some work done for themselves. Once the first customer's bike is underway, then another person will come up to watch me work, and the ball is set into motion. I'm usually working long after the other vendors have closed up shop for the day, and oftentimes, I'll have jobs already scheduled for the next day, and so on.

This brings up another point...start a portfolio of the work you've done and are doing! People like checking out examples of your work, and are always asking about having their own jobs done too.

A simple banner to hang in your both, some simple business cards help, and LOTS of eye candy will reel 'em in!

btw...consider repurposing pallets for your wood. They've got that cool rustic patina on 'em, and they're everywhere, and FREE!

and as for what venues to pursue...follow your heart and your personal interests. the rest is up to you.