the way to vanlife

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_sailing

Reaction score
I have been enthralled with the Toyota 4x4 vanwagons. I have moved this item to the top of my to do list and am actively seeking one of these bad boys to fix up.

THIS is how I want to boondock/vanlife.

<<4x4 vanwagon kikn butt and taking names.

There are some other great JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) rigs that are up for sale.. I love nearly all of them.

https://www.jdmcarandmotorcycle.com/rvs-campers-for-sale-b100032 While nearly ALL of these are already sold.. it may serve as inspiration to seek out something. somewhere else for sale.

Anyone here have one or similar?? Any words of advice?

desert_sailing said:
I have been enthralled with the Toyota 4x4 vanwagons. I have moved this item to the top of my to do list and am actively seeking one of these bad boys to fix up.

THIS is how I want to boondock/vanlife.

<<4x4 vanwagon kikn butt and taking names.

I had a couple of Cherokees during the time I lived in CO, and did a bit of 4 wheeling. That guy clearly didn't know what he was doing at the start of the video, where he was trying the "second" step. but luckily the guy on the ground told him how to approach it. 
For my 2-cents: that thing has too long a wheelbase, too low a ground clearance, and is too top heavy, for what he was attempting.

Ah, thanks for this link. I ain't buying, but it has nice interior pictures...
1 user says thank you.jpg :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1 user says thank you.jpg
    1 user says thank you.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 152
I didn't know JDM was a thing, but I admit they're pretty cool, definitely different.

Looks like they're mostly right hand drive? And is their shore power 220?

I bought this 07 Odyssey just for kicking around with the kids, I never realized just how much fun these are to drive?? Who Knew?? Lolololol

Attachments

• 119117952_10214859263075094_8164707148129524419_o.jpg
    119117952_10214859263075094_8164707148129524419_o.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 7
It is an interference engine so be sure to replace the timing belt if it makes a noise cold that goes away or before, if I remember correctly 105,000 miles. It costs around $700 to $800 dollars.

These are compact, capable and reliable little vans!

With a pop top roof and a lightweight fit out you'll have a very neat little Travel Cabin.

The van in the first video had a very neat snorkel fitted.

Other than them being right hand drive I can't see any reason for not converting one.

AeroNautiCal said:
The van in the first video had a very neat snorkel fitted.
I noticed that as well. It would be a must for getting to some really great spots I am sure.

I wish I had done more research. I am basically finished with my gmc 3500 extended and wish I had a smaller and more capable rig. Any 4x4 would have been preferable. I have learned alot about this kind of fulltime lifestyle and there is a laundry list of things I would have done completely differently.

I feel lke I bought a coastal cruiser sailboat when what I REALLY wanted was a passage maker capable of crossing the Pacific.

Being from the PacNW we have  many many "prepper" sorts.. and while I am not heavy duty about it, it is part of the culture here and is part of our thought processing. There is no doubt that when SHTF the typical roadways are going to be useless/restricted.

The "prepper" in me requires a 4x4 capable home/rig.  I know of back road 4x4 trails that go all the way from Idaho county Idaho all the way up to Canada.. these ways are all over the place and sound like utopia to me!

I really need/want to find groups of like minded nomads that want to take to the high seas and not go from marina to marina.