Womens rtr?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GIRLS ONLY RTR - Texas:

In just sitting and staring out my window, I can easily accommodate 15 Van types just at my homesite.

The pond lot; maybe 6 as it now stands. (Maybe I'll get more clearing done by then, and we can put in another 3 or 4)

SO for sure, right now: Room for 21 VANs. (You do the 'math' +/- on other vehicle types. lol)

BTW/FYI:  In no way do I mean to screw up the idea of GO/RTR.  Maybe no one WANTS to have it in Texas or whatever month is decided on.  I just don't want any to feel I'm 'taking over' or anything.  I know this is just an 'interest in doing so forum".  I'm just one of those nuts that likes to be a DO-er. 

Just figured I'd volunteer my place and time.  Others are certainly welcome to do so as well, and may have much better places/ideas, etc. So my feelings will NOT be 'hurt'.

LET'S DO THIS!! :):) 

OH.. another reason I was thinking here, is:  "I" may not be able to get on the road any time soon w/all my little commitments getting my Granny Cabin set up for my old age, etc.)  But I REALLY REALLY REALLY look forward to getting to know/see many of you in person.

I've never been to any RTR either, but plan on attending the Flagstaff one just to get a feel of the tribe.  I realize online vs real can be two very different things.   However, a female based RTR would be beneficial too.  I understand Nora's desire for a smaller, female based get together. to provide a needed reassurance and sense of strength that this is a viable lifestyle for a single woman and one that will promote one's growth instead of fearing it?  How is that hysterical?  Of course guys are always free to do what they want too.  Is this some kind of singular closed society of people?  If so, now is the time to find out so as to find the right "tribe" of folks to associate with.

I would like to get the independent woman's view and knowledge of this life on the road.  Issues like dealing with the inevitable problems ie changing tires,  breakdowns, DIY builds, repairs and maintenance, safety, gun carry or no, are some issues that I would like to find out about, again from a single woman's experience and know how.  Cooking and bathing and bathroom stuff is pretty well covered, but these and other issues are important and I would like to find out how an experienced single woman deals with this stuff long term. With all the experience here, there's no need to reinvent the wheel.  Sharing online support is not the same as real face to face support.  

I realize that most everyone here has family, a traveling partner and a home base to limp back to for help, but I am facing a completely independent lifestyle for the next 3 years.  My little bit of family is headed to the other side of the world and although are there for me in the personal sense, not available physically.  That's a huge difference in perception and affects one's sense of ability.  Personally, I'm feeling like a stranger in a strange land coming back to the mainland after such a long time away, and while I don't ever expect anyone to hold my hand, it sure would be nice to make a friend, gain some knowledge and have at least a minuscule semblance of support.

I would like to try a women-only gathering. I absolutely love the women-only circles at the Quartzsite RTRs.

To be honest, however, I've gone to other "outdoor" women's gatherings where I didn't feel like I fit in as much as I do at the RTRs which includes about the same number of women as men. But, I may feel differently if the all-women gathering were like-minded vandweller types. I don't know; but, I'm willing to give it a go.

If we do end up organizing an all-women gathering, I'd suggest we ask Bob if it's ok to use his "RTR" ("Rubber Tramp Rendezvous") title. I suspect he feels some ownership there. And, given that we are talking about something that's all women, he obviously can't be part of it. One spin-off group that went to the Slabs after this past RTR called themselves "Friends of Bob" ... I thought that was pretty clever.

Suanne ... with some random thoughts

If I have my van ready to go by the date you choose I would like to participate.
Any idea about a month yet?

Van_Lady
2000 Dodge Ram Wagon

Hello ggwoman,  IMO this post of yours was very well said and as far as I am concerned addresses issues that I also worry about.   That's just me, living in my world, today.   Jewellann

I do not mean to steal bobs rtr and apologize to him. I guess I was brainstorming "out loud" on here. Absolutely no disrespect here to bob. I have so much respect for him and have never had the privilege to meet him. At least not yet. Thank you for bringing that up. Hadn't even considered it. See...it takes a tribe to get things done correctly.  Bob...I think you read the womens room so please know how much I appreciate all that you do. I cannot comprehend the time investment you give to each one of us. Thank you. You could always be an honorary women and join us lol. Nora

Jaxtonsgram, no apologies necessary. I am quite sure Bob would say the same if he was allowed to post in the Girls' Room.

I've created a poll for possible dates of GO/RTR if at my place.

I have only included fall, because I just don't trust the weather from Jan-May anymore. Last year it rained for 8 months straight, and so far this spring the storms we HAVE had were TOTALLY frightening storms/flooding. (Don't really want to put ya thru that!)

Suanne said:
I would like to try a women-only gathering.  I absolutely love the women-only circles at the Quartzsite RTRs....
Suanne ... with some random thoughts

You did a fine job at the big rtr guiding the woman's circle. It was safe and I think a few were able to say what they needed to say for the first time. Very heartfelt. I will be at this gathering also.

I think I will repost the 'poll' in the "Gatherings" forum so it will be more easily found?
Anyone opposed????
I'll wait til tomorrow (Monday, May 29th)

Question:  the men CAN still see this Girls Only thread, correct?  So moving it wouldn't be a big deal?
THANK YOU, Ladies.

ggwoman said:
I've never been to any RTR either, but plan on attending the Flagstaff one just to get a feel of the tribe.  I realize online vs real can be two very different things.   However, a female based RTR would be beneficial too.  I understand Nora's desire for a smaller, female based get together. to provide a needed reassurance and sense of strength that this is a viable lifestyle for a single woman and one that will promote one's growth instead of fearing it?  How is that hysterical?  Of course guys are always free to do what they want too.  Is this some kind of singular closed society of people?  If so, now is the time to find out so as to find the right "tribe" of folks to associate with.

Hi ggwoman,
I am attending the RTR in Flagstaff and this will be a 'first' for me on every level so looking forward to meeting you.  I'll be doing this out of a car and a tent...don't own a van or RV yet.
Should be both interesting and a huge learning event for me! :)

Deb

The forum has an "in-house" poll option when you post a new thread

I'm not disagreeing with posting it in the *Gatherings* forum. But, keep in mind that if you post there it will be open to all members, male and female

Ditto! :)  My son decided I needed the whole tent camping set up as well as my trailer.  Reg says that sure, no prob putting up a tent yourself, but for some reason I see an I Love Lucy scenario playing out doing it by myself.   :(   So, I'm hoping to practice that whole scenario too, with just coaching from the sidelines.  There must be a system to it right?.  Personally,  I prefer to just sleep under the stars, and the only tent camping experience I had was while hiking up Three Sisters in OR when it rained like hell and I woke up in 6 inches of cold water.  The tent floor was more like a bathtub.  I wanted to poke a hole in it and let the water drain out, but was prevented from doing so.   Twas a Loooooooooong night.  Trying to dry out everything was horrible, building a fire was impossible, all my dry gear/clothes got soaked.  I was not a happy camper.   :-/   The only saving grace were my wool socks,shirt and hat, which I could wring out and still stay warm with.  I slept with the dog in the VW bug for the rest of the night. lol

Suanne,  I think I understand:  "But, I may feel differently if the all-women gathering were like-minded vandweller types."  

I've never seemed to fit in anywhere in this world and perhaps I never will, but I hope you are right, whatever mind vandweller types may be.  :D  It would be an interesting conversation!

Jewelann,  Looking forward to seeing your face!  :D

Hello ladies! I tried so hard to follow this thread. There are a lot of wonderful comments! I get confused and hope I'm posting in the right place. I just want to say that I will be at the summer RTR and look forward to meeting everyone. I'm also confused about the poll, but will get help from someone at the RTR so I can respond. Please know everything has been stated very clearly, it's just me .... I can't process all the words but don't give up on me! I'm all in. Thanks! See you soon!

Hey Debra,

Let me see if I can summarize.  

I believe the current proposal is to have a women-only gathering in Somerville, TX sometime between mid-October and mid-November.  The poll is to find out which week, during that time frame, is the preferred choice for interested women.  Cherterr has graciously offered the use of her properties, which are near to Birch Creek State Park that has additional amenities and campsites.

Somerville is 90 miles from both Austin and Houston, a bit further than your "home" area near Dallas.

Hopefully, I'm understanding the proposal correctly.  If not, please feel free to correct.

I would love to join you Ladies!  I have an a-liner pop up and a dog so will probably stay at the park since its handy. Will be nice to meet some women campers. I don't know any other women that travel solo.  I am a teacher so most of my travels are during the summer and holidays.  But in three more years I retire and hit the road!!  I live east of Dallas so won't be to far of a drive.   

Thank you for opening your place to visitors!!

Danna

edit:  just looked at the poll dates and will probably only be able to come down for a long weekend.

Birch Creek of Somerville State Park in Texas is closed right now except to those few with reservations. Tremendous flooding there. Rest rooms are halfway submerged. Currently they aren't taking reservations before August 1st. More rains on the way which means it will only get higher and take longer to dry out and make repairs.

dannab1 said:
I would love to join you Ladies!  I have an a-liner pop up and a dog so will probably stay at the park since its handy. Will be nice to meet some women campers. I don't know any other women that travel solo.  I am a teacher so most of my travels are during the summer and holidays.  But in three more years I retire and hit the road!!  I live east of Dallas so won't be to far of a drive.   

Thank you for opening your place to visitors!!

Danna

edit:  just looked at the poll dates and will probably only be able to come down for a long weekend.

Get to one of Bobs rtr's and you will find more solo women than you can shake a stick at. The few times I camp in park campgrounds, I usually find solo women. We are not that rare.

Diane

^^^^

What Dragonfly said. There are many of us but we mostly tend to keep a low profile, at least every solo lady I know does.

bigsallysmom said:
Birch Creek of Somerville State Park in Texas is closed right now except to those few with reservations.  Tremendous flooding there.  Rest rooms are halfway submerged.  Currently they aren't taking reservations before August 1st.  More rains on the way which means it will only get higher and take longer to dry out and make repairs.

Thank you for posting that, so we can keep checking on it! ::) Last year it was flooded much much worse.

At any rate, my place is/will still be available, although it IS for 'boondock' type parking.  Two places, two blocks apart: Pond lots = no utilities; My RV lots a little water only.

Hopefully, by October/November there will be the usual services available at the Park.  Only time will tell.

P.S.  FYI:I felt like it was Xmas this morning when the weather predicted no rain til late this after noon!!:) It's been a REALLY stressful week with this weather.